RE: [Slovak-World] Traveling in Slovakia

  • igiles
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
      Vilo, thanks for the museum and dish suggestions - Inez

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
        Inez, Thanks for the update on your travels in Slovakia in visiting museums and village homes. I appreciate the Slovak words you are including such as vzory, rad, etc. I have fond memories of last summer of you and my daughter studying tambour work in a house in Hrochot. I'd like to visit the museums in Turnava and Skalica some day. It's great that you appreciate the beauty of Slovak embroidery, textiles and artifacts, and are making it more than just a hobby. Julia M.
      • igiles
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011
          Julia, hi! It's good to hear from you. Every once in a while I come across
          Liz's picture in which she is dressed in Anna's appliqued leather vest and
          beaded cepec. She looks very much a princess.

          I smiled when I read your last sentence about my not pursuing needleart
          studies as a hobby. More and more I have been thinking that Slovakia's
          needleartists are, indeed, artists. When we evaluate "fine" art we look at
          composition and elements such as color, design, creativity/inspiration and
          technique. These are the same variables I use when I look at a Piestany
          blouse or a Trencin or Cicmany apron. We're looking at color harmony, motifs
          and their use in the embroidered design. And of course, we look at the
          quality of the embroiderer's technique. Artists use canvas, clay or marble.
          Slovakia's embroiderers (needle artists) used linen or flax ground.

          I see each embroidered textile as an artistic expression of the
          embroiderer's imagination and skill. You're right! I take my embroidery
          studies VERY seriously. <smile> Hope to travel with you again someday. All
          the best - Inez