Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Surfing in Slovakia

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
      Hi Martin,
      I do not... I know that what I wrote represents Hozelec. :-P But then, I have always been stunned by how religious the secular USA is compared to "Catholic" Slovakia; so the two experiences are incongruous at best.

      By the way, the hockey player Pavol Demitra just passed away- he was on board a Russian airplane with his Russian club team Lokomotiv Jaroslavl' that just wrecked.  There were some other big names, but his is the only Slovak name on board.
      Ben

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
        Thanks, Ben. Even if we're not sure of the extent, what you said is valuable and worth keeping in mind as one of the factors that may contribute to the "Facebook cultural difference" between the U.S. and Slovakia.

        > how religious the secular USA is compared to "Catholic" Slovakia

        Yes, there was international research into religiosity (as opposed to a registered or declared religious affiliation) a number of years ago, both the U.S. and Slovakia were included. It detected a world-wide pattern showing a link between a nation's per-capita purchasing power and religiosity -- the more of the former, the less of the latter.

        There was one significant exception to that pattern: the U.S., where religiosity is at the level of Mexico (and higher than in Slovakia), while the Americans' purchasing power is among the highest in the world.

        Martin
      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
          Ahoj Martin and Ben

          When I was very young, all stores here in Johnstown, New York and area surrounding were closed.  Rules changed because men and women worked 5 days a week and needed to shop on Sundays.

          Most stores close at 6:00PM on Sunday.

          To Date, alcohol can not be purchased until after 11:00AM on Sunday

          Z Bohom,

          Vilko