Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Surfing in Slovakia

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
      Martin,

      Though the difference in store hours and churchgoing would explain some of the Slovak peaks on a Sunday, I am thinking that there is also a cultural difference that comes into play on that: in Slovakia, doing any kind of "work" on a Sunday is met with derision.  Even yard work on a Sunday brings unkind glances from the neighbors, and I remember often being told, as I would start a project then, that "you shouldn't be doing that on a Sunday; the neighbors will not be pleased!"  It was a concept that I had a hard time adjusting to, but once I also stopped working on Sundays, I realized that my inner procrastinator was coddled for one day. :-) Talk about inner peace!

      Ben

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
        > doing any kind of "work" on a Sunday is met with derision.

        Perhaps. Do you know of any survey that suggests/confirms that? Individual experiences may not represent Slovakia in general. For instance, this is the first time I hear of it being the case in Slovakia (and I know you know what you're talking about concerning the people you associate with), while I'm familiar with the no-work-on-Sunday/Sabbath culture adhered to by some in Bavaria and the U.S. But I don't know of any overall survey into this anywhere.

        That could be part of it if the "deriding" Slovaks are also a significant segment of Facebook users in the country.

        Martin
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
          Hi Martin,
          I do not... I know that what I wrote represents Hozelec. :-P But then, I have always been stunned by how religious the secular USA is compared to "Catholic" Slovakia; so the two experiences are incongruous at best.

          By the way, the hockey player Pavol Demitra just passed away- he was on board a Russian airplane with his Russian club team Lokomotiv Jaroslavl' that just wrecked.  There were some other big names, but his is the only Slovak name on board.
          Ben

          ________________________________
          > doing any kind of "work" on a Sunday is met with derision.

          Perhaps. Do you know of any survey that suggests/confirms that? Individual experiences may not represent Slovakia in general. For instance, this is the first time I hear of it being the case in Slovakia (and I know you know what you're talking about concerning the people you associate with), while I'm familiar with the no-work-on-Sunday/Sabbath culture adhered to by some in Bavaria and the U.S. But I don't know of any overall survey into this anywhere.

          That could be part of it if the "deriding" Slovaks are also a significant segment of Facebook users in the country.

        • votrubam
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
            Thanks, Ben. Even if we're not sure of the extent, what you said is valuable and worth keeping in mind as one of the factors that may contribute to the "Facebook cultural difference" between the U.S. and Slovakia.

            > how religious the secular USA is compared to "Catholic" Slovakia

            Yes, there was international research into religiosity (as opposed to a registered or declared religious affiliation) a number of years ago, both the U.S. and Slovakia were included. It detected a world-wide pattern showing a link between a nation's per-capita purchasing power and religiosity -- the more of the former, the less of the latter.

            There was one significant exception to that pattern: the U.S., where religiosity is at the level of Mexico (and higher than in Slovakia), while the Americans' purchasing power is among the highest in the world.

            Martin
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
              Ahoj Martin and Ben

              When I was very young, all stores here in Johnstown, New York and area surrounding were closed.  Rules changed because men and women worked 5 days a week and needed to shop on Sundays.

              Most stores close at 6:00PM on Sunday.

              To Date, alcohol can not be purchased until after 11:00AM on Sunday

              Z Bohom,

              Vilko