RE: [Slovak-World] Surfing in Slovakia

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
      Could it be that Americans are online Wednesday and Saturday making plans for Thursday(?, or Friday) and Sunday, and Slovaks are sharing what they did on Thursday (again, ?) and Sunday?

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: jmm@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:40:53 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Surfing in Slovakia

      On Sep 4, 2011, at 10:30 PM, votrubam wrote:

      > Back to Slovakia today: another recent survey noted "lifestyle" differences between the Slovaks' and Americans' use of Facebook. Both the Americans and the Slovaks rush to Facebook on Monday, probably to share what happened during the weekend, but then the Americans' use peaks on Wednesdays and Saturdays, while the Slovaks' on Thursdays and Sundays. At least one Slovak newspaper website notes the same peaks as "Slovak" Facebook.

      Well, I haven't been to Slovakia since 2006 (skoda!) so perhaps things have changed. But my guess is, a lot of places are still closed on Sundays in Slovakia. so, Slovaks who have home access to the internet have time to surf. We've lost that quiet day; stores in America are open 7 days a week, kids' soccer matches are now being scheduled on Sundays, etc. I don't know how to account for the Wed/Thurs difference; we used to have one weekday afternoon when almost everything would shut down (no longer, of course!), would Slovakia have something like that? still?

      I was bored by quiet Sundays and quiet Wednesday afternoons (that was the half-day off in my town) when I was a kid. Now I miss them.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
        > Could it be that Americans are online Wednesday and Saturday
        > making plans for Thursday(?, or Friday) and Sunday, and Slovaks
        > are sharing what they did on Thursday (again, ?) and Sunday?

        ?? If it were, the question would remain why those differences, why would more Americans than Slovaks make plans for Thursday and why would more Slovaks share...

        The weekend peaks seem to be meaningfully explained by the difference in retail business hours and perhaps also by the Americans' more frequent Sunday churchgoing (followed by mall-and-lunch-out-going) and the Slovaks' surviving Saturday home cleaning (in addition to Saturday shopping), which has largely disappeared in the US according to surveys.

        As to the US peaks on Wednesday and SK on Thursday -- on the one hand, we don't know how strong those peaks are, meaning, say, the US Wednesday peak may not be significantly different from the Americans' internet access on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

        The Slovak peak on Thursdays might partly have something to do with the Slovaks knocking off early on Friday, so they may be more busy doing whatever they need to do at work while they're there on Friday and then turn the computer off and go home (from where their access is more limited), so some of the potential Friday posts get shifted to Thursdays.

        Martin
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
          Martin,

          Though the difference in store hours and churchgoing would explain some of the Slovak peaks on a Sunday, I am thinking that there is also a cultural difference that comes into play on that: in Slovakia, doing any kind of "work" on a Sunday is met with derision.  Even yard work on a Sunday brings unkind glances from the neighbors, and I remember often being told, as I would start a project then, that "you shouldn't be doing that on a Sunday; the neighbors will not be pleased!"  It was a concept that I had a hard time adjusting to, but once I also stopped working on Sundays, I realized that my inner procrastinator was coddled for one day. :-) Talk about inner peace!

          Ben

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
            > doing any kind of "work" on a Sunday is met with derision.

            Perhaps. Do you know of any survey that suggests/confirms that? Individual experiences may not represent Slovakia in general. For instance, this is the first time I hear of it being the case in Slovakia (and I know you know what you're talking about concerning the people you associate with), while I'm familiar with the no-work-on-Sunday/Sabbath culture adhered to by some in Bavaria and the U.S. But I don't know of any overall survey into this anywhere.

            That could be part of it if the "deriding" Slovaks are also a significant segment of Facebook users in the country.

            Martin
          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
              Hi Martin,
              I do not... I know that what I wrote represents Hozelec. :-P But then, I have always been stunned by how religious the secular USA is compared to "Catholic" Slovakia; so the two experiences are incongruous at best.

              By the way, the hockey player Pavol Demitra just passed away- he was on board a Russian airplane with his Russian club team Lokomotiv Jaroslavl' that just wrecked.  There were some other big names, but his is the only Slovak name on board.
              Ben

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                Thanks, Ben. Even if we're not sure of the extent, what you said is valuable and worth keeping in mind as one of the factors that may contribute to the "Facebook cultural difference" between the U.S. and Slovakia.

                > how religious the secular USA is compared to "Catholic" Slovakia

                Yes, there was international research into religiosity (as opposed to a registered or declared religious affiliation) a number of years ago, both the U.S. and Slovakia were included. It detected a world-wide pattern showing a link between a nation's per-capita purchasing power and religiosity -- the more of the former, the less of the latter.

                There was one significant exception to that pattern: the U.S., where religiosity is at the level of Mexico (and higher than in Slovakia), while the Americans' purchasing power is among the highest in the world.

                Martin
              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                  Ahoj Martin and Ben

                  When I was very young, all stores here in Johnstown, New York and area surrounding were closed.  Rules changed because men and women worked 5 days a week and needed to shop on Sundays.

                  Most stores close at 6:00PM on Sunday.

                  To Date, alcohol can not be purchased until after 11:00AM on Sunday

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilko