Slovak Event in Parma, Ohio Sun Sept.4; plus summer in Slovakia & Slovaks in Serbia

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2011
       Hi - I'll have a small exhibit at the Slovak Event this Sunday at St. Anthony's Church in Parma
      OH from 12 noon - 8 pm.  If you attend stop and say hello!

      Slovakia was as magical as ever this summer - the month of August was filled with perfect blue sky days every single day til i left.

      Returned to the event in Hrusov after a number of years - it was really lovely - like a big family party. It's called Hontianska Parada and held around the 3rd weekend in Aug. I thought I was ordering goose at "Mama's Kitchen" but it was goose soup - a first and really good. Met the oldest woman in the village - a sweet 97 year old woman who waved at us and so we stopped by and stayed for hours - her son and grandson played the accordion, her granddaughter fed us - local specialties - lokse and a fish soup; we sat in the shade under the grape vines and heard Jan Ambroz's wonderful music played over the village. The grandma's name is Maria Hajdukova and she has never been sick a day in her life and has all her own teeth - at 97 - had fun taking pix and hearing stories about her wedding and life in the village. The Festival is quite unlike any other - in addition to the stage shows - the locals open up the old homes and show all aspects of village life -
      from baking bread to lekvar spread on the lokse with white poultry quills and another local specialty, home-made bread buried under a solid layer of onions!

      In Slovakia in general prices are not going down but up - imagine a hotel breakfast for 18 Euros - something like $26. Found that the bottled water which cost pennies years ago is now pretty expensive and better to drink wine or beer - lots more fun!

      Really enjoyed the Slovak village of Baci Petrovac in northern Serbia - it was so sweet - tree lined lanes and lots of villagers on bicycles and grandmas wearing kerchiefs. The market was so special as everyone told us stories and enjoyed having their picture taken. Stayed at a darling guest house - Aroma - and one night they made flat pirohi buried in poppy seeds - that was the best dessert of the summer and they kept bringing it til we couldn't eat another one. We were right next to a historic building, a Slovak school that has students coming from all over the world. Tho the village was settled by Slovak immigrants over 200 years ago everyone understood our Slovak. We also loved the naive painters of nearby Kovacica and one of the most famous - a charming woman named Zuzanna, invited us all to her home - we had a great time - it was hard to leave.

      helene