Meaning of Names

  • Milan
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
      I am researching the family names Madzo and Gresh. I am always curious of the meaning of names.

      The first time I heard the name Madzo I thought Maco meaning in Slovak small bear or the slovak slang meaning: small chubby boy.

      The first time I saw the name Gresh the sh threw me because slovaks don't usually use that combination of letters. So I thought it might be germanic. Then one day I went shopping and a possible answer occured to me. Could it be a form of the word egres which means goose berries in Slovak?

      I did find an intresting fact. The names Madzo and Maco are found in my ancestral village! I might be on to something!

      I am curious what you can tell me about these names.
    • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
        Where is your ancestral village?

        Michelle Maco Mader
        Cleveland, Ohio USA

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
          This is nice surprise! I have family in Parma, Ohio. My ancestral village is Vrbove. In Western Slovakia.

          Milan

            I am researching the family names Madzo and Gresh. I am always curious of the meaning of names.

            The first time I heard the name Madzo I thought Maco meaning in Slovak small bear or the slovak slang meaning: small chubby boy.

            The first time I saw the name Gresh the sh threw me because slovaks don't usually use that combination of letters. So I thought it might be germanic. Then one day I went shopping and a possible answer occured to me. Could it be a form of the word egres which means goose berries in Slovak?

            I did find an intresting fact. The names Madzo and Maco are found in my ancestral village! I might be on to something!

            I am curious what you can tell me about these names.

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
              Macko is a bear cub.  There was a family from Myjava with that name living in Littlefalls, NY.
              Z Bohom,
              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                Lots of people with the name Gres~ (s with makcen) in Slovakia. Go to the Slovak national phone directory on zoznam and type in Gres.

                http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Milan" <coolkeytool@...> wrote:

                > I am researching the family names Madzo and Gresh. I am always curious of the meaning of names.
                >
                > The first time I heard the name Madzo I thought Maco meaning in Slovak small bear or the slovak slang meaning: small chubby boy.
                >
                > The first time I saw the name Gresh the sh threw me because slovaks don't usually use that combination of letters. So I thought it might be germanic. Then one day I went shopping and a possible answer occured to me. Could it be a form of the word egres which means goose berries in Slovak?
                >
                > I did find an intresting fact. The names Madzo and Maco are found in my ancestral village! I might be on to something!
                >
                > I am curious what you can tell me about these names.

              • Stephanie Gress
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                  My last name is Gress.  I am still researching exactly where my ancestors are from.  I have been told Austria, Hungary or Czechoslovakia.  Hoping to one day figure that out!!

                  Stephanie Gress

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Give me the name of your Gress Immigrant and I'll try

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                      Thank you!!
                      His name was Shondre (Shonder) Gress.  He came over when he was 2 yrs old.  His mother was Beulah Gress..or maybe Julia, but she was known here as Beulah and she was married to a Mike Gress.  Not sure if she married him here or over seas.  Some family says that she was married to a Mike Gress before she immigrated and he died...and she married another Mike Gress.  Strange as that sounds!  They came over and lived in the Pleasant City, Ohio area as coal miners.

                      Give me the name of your Gress Immigrant and I'll try

                      ________________________________
                      My last name is Gress.  I am still researching exactly where my ancestors are from.  I have been told Austria, Hungary or Czechoslovakia.  Hoping to one day figure that out!!

                      Stephanie Gress

                      Lots of people with the name Gres~ (s with makcen) in Slovakia. Go to the Slovak national phone directory on zoznam and type in Gres.

                      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Milan" <coolkeytool@...> wrote:

                      > I am researching the family names Madzo and Gresh. I am always curious of the meaning of names.
                      >
                      > The first time I heard the name Madzo I thought Maco meaning in Slovak small bear or the slovak slang meaning: small chubby boy.
                      >
                      > The first time I saw the name Gresh the sh threw me because slovaks don't usually use that combination of letters. So I thought it might be germanic. Then one day I went shopping and a possible answer occured to me. Could it be a form of the word egres which means goose berries in Slovak?
                      >
                      > I did find an intresting fact. The names Madzo and Maco are found in my ancestral village! I might be on to something!
                      >
                      > I am curious what you can tell me about these names.

                    • CurtB
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                        Stephanie,
                        Have you seen Shonder's draft records from world war I and world war II? He claims to be born in America in 1888 (or 1889). Have you seen the census records of 1910 where his parents Mike and
                        Beulah are recorded along with their children? The census indicates that they are Slovak. But also that they immigrated from Austria since Slovak territory was within the Austrian Empire. Here Shonder (did he have the Hungarian name Sandor?) is listed as born in Austria.
                        Shonder is listed as age 20, but his parents are married only 14 years.

                        have you done any of this research?

                        Curt B.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                          Curt,

                          I did some work too but sent it direct because of attachment.  I searched Ellis and found a female, who immgrated in 1905 from "Russia", claiming Polis Nationality.  Her name was Bolomoai Gress.  I did not find Michal, Muhal Michael or Mihaly Gress or Sandor, [Shahn-dohrr].  Gress is Spelled Gres~s~, [GRRESHSH .

                          Nationalities are hard to determine, even through records made here but I suggested that Stephanie search Church and county records, (citizenship).
                          Many slovaks from the west, (Zahorie), told families that they were born in Austria instead od Austria/Hungary.  Czech and Moravians were ruled by Austria, (Rakusko), [Rah-kuhs-koh] but Slovakia by Hungary, Magyarok, Mad-ahr-ohk].  Your indication that Sandor was born o Hungarian territory is probably correct.

                          Most of the names listed in the phone directory are in Eastern Slovakia.
                          Z Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
                            That is not as strange as you might think. Especially if your ancestors are from a small town in Slovakia. Mine come from two, geographically close towns where there seem to have been only about 6 surnames and 10 first names per gender. So I have cases like a couple having twins named Adam and Eva. Then, Adam had twins and named them Adam and Eva. Or Michal Maco married Anna Filo, had a son named Michal Maco who went on to marry an Anna Filo. There are some women whose surname didn’t change after marriage (e.g. Anna Maco married Juraj Maco). If it hadn’t been for some really good church records I don’t know that we’d ever have gotten them straight.

                            Michelle Maco Mader
                            Cleveland, Ohio USA

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 2, 2011
                              Kúty, Western Slovakia, has a population of 4200.  There are many families who have the same last name but are not related.  for that reason, they have an additional name, (Nickname), to distinguish the families.  For example:
                              Valachovic~ - Bec~anek, Gajdos~,  Kuc~erka, Karoly, Harenka, Hurby, Majc~in, Vachaja, etc.

                              Can you imagine going there for the first time and stopping to ask someone if they know where S~tefan Valachovic~ lives??

                              Z Bohom

                              Vilo