Re: [Slovak-World] Searching for Stefanik

  • Andy Verostko
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
      On 8/23/2011 6:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

      > It sounds wonderful.
      >
      > Hey Lubos, you missed our earthquake! It was a 5.8, but there doesn't seem to be much damage, thank goodness.
      >
      > Jim, how was it where you live?

      > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      > From: lbrieda@...
      > Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:36:41 -0700
      > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Searching for Stefanik

      > There is also a mountain hut named after him (commonly called Stefanicka) located some 30 minutes from Dumbier, the tallest peak in the Low Tatras. I spent a night there last week. The hut has a fully functioning restaurant, and a terrace overlooking the deep green valleys.

      Re Earthquake...
      > It was a pretty good shake in Richmond.. Made a lot of noise....
      >

      > -- Lubos Brieda --
      >

      > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.com
      >
      > Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Eve Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
        That link was quite interesting, thanks for sharing it. Amazing what some people accomplish in a short life. I was awestruck when I learned Chopin also died at age 39; he is my favorite composer.

      • mjkopanic
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
          BJ,

          I found this in a search, and am doing some research on Chicago Slovaks. Are there any other stories you could share about your experiences growing up in the Chicago Slovak community?

          Thanks,

          Mike Kopanic

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, BJLK@... wrote:

          > Thank you so much for sharing this link. It brings back so many happy
          > memories. Chicago Slovaks of my generation were very much aware of General
          > Milan Stefanik.
          >
          > When I was a child growing up in Chicago, my Slovak Sokol lodge's gymnasium
          > was housed in a beautiful building called Stefanikova Dvorana, which was
          > dedicated to the memory of this important Slovak hero. The building was
          > also one of the important Slovak cultural centers of its time where we saw
          > many divadlo performances on its fully equipped theater stage, choral and
          > orchestral concerts, Sokol verejnie, and many other important Slovak events of
          > that time. In addition to its auditorium, the building housed meeting
          > rooms, two professional kitchens, and two bars, which made it an attractive
          > place for weddings, banquets, dance parties, or other important anniversaries
          > and celebrations. (The auditorium stage was large enough to accommodate a
          > fairly large orchestra.)
          >
          > Unfortunately, the building was used for fewer and fewer occasions as
          > social customs changed and Slovaks began dispersing among the newly sprawling
          > Chicago suburbs. It fell into disrepair and stood abandoned for several
          > years. During this sad time, it became a sanctuary for homeless squatters who
          > finally destroyed it completely by setting fires to keep warm. One of
          > these fires damaged the structure so badly that it was razed--only a vacant lot
          > now remains.
          >
          > Like another well-known Slovak meeting place about a mile away, Pilsen
          > Park, the Stefanikova Dvorana is now just another beloved piece of
          > local-Chicago Slovak history.
          >
          > Moje spomienky na detstvo . . .
          >
          > B. J.
          >
          > _____________________________
          > B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (http://BJLK@.../) )
          >

          > In a message dated 8/21/2011 10:23:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > tharmon63@... writes:
          >
          > I wonder how many Slovaks in North America know who Stefanik is and how
          > important he was to Slovaks worldwide. I certainly didn't until recently.
          >
          > http://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/searching-for-stefanik/
          >
          > --
          > Tonya Harmon

        • bjlkltd
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
            Hi, Mike!

            I'm an old lady now and probably have lots of stories. Is there anything in
            particular that you are looking for? What kind of research are you doing?

            B. J.

            _________________________
            B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)

          • James Dubelko
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
              For a story out of Cleveland that gives a whole new meaning to the words
              "Searching for Stefanik," see the Cleveland Historical story about the
              Milan R. Stefanik statue in Cleveland (which I wrote) at:

              http://bit.ly/138Bxb5

              Jim Dubelko

              Jim Dubelko
              6051 Sandpiper Lane