Searching for Stefanik

  • Tonya Harmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21, 2011
      I wonder how many Slovaks in North America know who Stefanik is and how
      important he was to Slovaks worldwide. I certainly didn't until recently.

      http://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/searching-for-stefanik/

      --
      Tonya Harmon

    • María Eugenia Kromholc
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2011
        hi everybody!

        my great grandmother was judita lajzo-stefanik but until now, i have found
        anything on stefanik or why the hyphenated surname... i do not know even
        where she was born... only that her son was born in kokava nad rimavicou.

        any suggestions?

        thanks in advance!

        maria eugenia kromholc

        On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Tonya Harmon <tharmon63@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I wonder how many Slovaks in North America know who Stefanik is and how
        > important he was to Slovaks worldwide. I certainly didn't until recently.
        >
        > http://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/searching-for-stefanik/
        >
        > --
        > Tonya Harmon

        Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2011
          Thank you so much for sharing this link. It brings back so many happy
          memories. Chicago Slovaks of my generation were very much aware of General
          Milan Stefanik.

          When I was a child growing up in Chicago, my Slovak Sokol lodge's gymnasium
          was housed in a beautiful building called Stefanikova Dvorana, which was
          dedicated to the memory of this important Slovak hero. The building was
          also one of the important Slovak cultural centers of its time where we saw
          many divadlo performances on its fully equipped theater stage, choral and
          orchestral concerts, Sokol verejnie, and many other important Slovak events of
          that time. In addition to its auditorium, the building housed meeting
          rooms, two professional kitchens, and two bars, which made it an attractive
          place for weddings, banquets, dance parties, or other important anniversaries
          and celebrations. (The auditorium stage was large enough to accommodate a
          fairly large orchestra.)

          Unfortunately, the building was used for fewer and fewer occasions as
          social customs changed and Slovaks began dispersing among the newly sprawling
          Chicago suburbs. It fell into disrepair and stood abandoned for several
          years. During this sad time, it became a sanctuary for homeless squatters who
          finally destroyed it completely by setting fires to keep warm. One of
          these fires damaged the structure so badly that it was razed--only a vacant lot
          now remains.

          Like another well-known Slovak meeting place about a mile away, Pilsen
          Park, the Stefanikova Dvorana is now just another beloved piece of
          local-Chicago Slovak history.

          Moje spomienky na detstvo . . .

          B. J.

          _____________________________
          B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (http://BJLK@.../) )

          In a message dated 8/21/2011 10:23:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          tharmon63@... writes:

          I wonder how many Slovaks in North America know who Stefanik is and how
          important he was to Slovaks worldwide. I certainly didn't until recently.

          http://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/searching-for-stefanik/

          --
          Tonya Harmon

        • Lubos Brieda
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
            There is also a mountain hut named after him (commonly called Stefanicka) located some 30 minutes from Dumbier, the tallest peak in the Low Tatras. I spent a night there last week. The hut has a fully functioning restaurant, and a terrace overlooking the deep green valleys.

            -- Lubos Brieda --

            Scientific computing: www.particleincell.com
            Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
              It sounds wonderful.

              Hey Lubos, you missed our earthquake! It was a 5.8, but there doesn't seem to be much damage, thank goodness.

              Jim, how was it where you live?

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
                On 8/23/2011 6:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

                > It sounds wonderful.
                >
                > Hey Lubos, you missed our earthquake! It was a 5.8, but there doesn't seem to be much damage, thank goodness.
                >
                > Jim, how was it where you live?

                > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                > From: lbrieda@...
                > Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:36:41 -0700
                > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Searching for Stefanik

                > There is also a mountain hut named after him (commonly called Stefanicka) located some 30 minutes from Dumbier, the tallest peak in the Low Tatras. I spent a night there last week. The hut has a fully functioning restaurant, and a terrace overlooking the deep green valleys.

                Re Earthquake...
                > It was a pretty good shake in Richmond.. Made a lot of noise....
                >

                > -- Lubos Brieda --
                >

                > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.com
                >
                > Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Eve Smith
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 23, 2011
                  That link was quite interesting, thanks for sharing it. Amazing what some people accomplish in a short life. I was awestruck when I learned Chopin also died at age 39; he is my favorite composer.

                • mjkopanic
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
                    BJ,

                    I found this in a search, and am doing some research on Chicago Slovaks. Are there any other stories you could share about your experiences growing up in the Chicago Slovak community?

                    Thanks,

                    Mike Kopanic

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, BJLK@... wrote:

                    > Thank you so much for sharing this link. It brings back so many happy
                    > memories. Chicago Slovaks of my generation were very much aware of General
                    > Milan Stefanik.
                    >
                    > When I was a child growing up in Chicago, my Slovak Sokol lodge's gymnasium
                    > was housed in a beautiful building called Stefanikova Dvorana, which was
                    > dedicated to the memory of this important Slovak hero. The building was
                    > also one of the important Slovak cultural centers of its time where we saw
                    > many divadlo performances on its fully equipped theater stage, choral and
                    > orchestral concerts, Sokol verejnie, and many other important Slovak events of
                    > that time. In addition to its auditorium, the building housed meeting
                    > rooms, two professional kitchens, and two bars, which made it an attractive
                    > place for weddings, banquets, dance parties, or other important anniversaries
                    > and celebrations. (The auditorium stage was large enough to accommodate a
                    > fairly large orchestra.)
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, the building was used for fewer and fewer occasions as
                    > social customs changed and Slovaks began dispersing among the newly sprawling
                    > Chicago suburbs. It fell into disrepair and stood abandoned for several
                    > years. During this sad time, it became a sanctuary for homeless squatters who
                    > finally destroyed it completely by setting fires to keep warm. One of
                    > these fires damaged the structure so badly that it was razed--only a vacant lot
                    > now remains.
                    >
                    > Like another well-known Slovak meeting place about a mile away, Pilsen
                    > Park, the Stefanikova Dvorana is now just another beloved piece of
                    > local-Chicago Slovak history.
                    >
                    > Moje spomienky na detstvo . . .
                    >
                    > B. J.
                    >
                    > _____________________________
                    > B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (http://BJLK@.../) )
                    >

                    > In a message dated 8/21/2011 10:23:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                    > tharmon63@... writes:
                    >
                    > I wonder how many Slovaks in North America know who Stefanik is and how
                    > important he was to Slovaks worldwide. I certainly didn't until recently.
                    >
                    > http://paulinescookbook.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/searching-for-stefanik/
                    >
                    > --
                    > Tonya Harmon

                  • bjlkltd
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
                      Hi, Mike!

                      I'm an old lady now and probably have lots of stories. Is there anything in
                      particular that you are looking for? What kind of research are you doing?

                      B. J.

                      _________________________
                      B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)

                    • James Dubelko
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
                        For a story out of Cleveland that gives a whole new meaning to the words
                        "Searching for Stefanik," see the Cleveland Historical story about the
                        Milan R. Stefanik statue in Cleveland (which I wrote) at:

                        http://bit.ly/138Bxb5

                        Jim Dubelko

                        Jim Dubelko
                        6051 Sandpiper Lane