Re: Sending money to Slovakia

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2011
      I just took a big gamble and won. I placed an envelope of cash inside an International Express envelope and sent it USPS for $30.00. I was able to track it on line and tell the recipient when reached Slovak customs, when they first attempted delivery, and suggested they waste no time in getting to the post office. They picked it up with no difficulty.

      Not recommended for the faint of heart.

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "nsspiker2001" <nsspiker@...> wrote:

      > Can someone tell me the best way to send money to someone in Slovakia. This was discussed several years ago but I've forgotten how it was done.
      > Thank you

    • Scott Mikusko
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2011
        Ron did gamble and won. I did a similar thing back when Slovakia was going
        to the Euro. I had some extra korunas lying around so I took a chance in
        mailing them back to my cousins in order to have them exchange for euro and
        hold on to the change for my next trip. The korunas got lifted from the
        mail before it arrived to them. It was about $100 in korunas. Ah, well,
        live and learn...

        If anyone is going to Bosnia anytime soon, I have a few Convertible Marks
        free to give. I'm not sure when I'll be back there again.(It's a cool place,
        by the way; Mostar was pretty neat) :)

        -S

      • e.gernat@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2011
          Hi I plan on going on a pilgrimage in April  2012. Would the Marks still be good then?  Edie Gernat

          Ron did gamble and won. I did a similar thing back when Slovakia was going
          to the Euro. I had some extra korunas lying around so I took a chance in
          mailing them back to my cousins in order to have them exchange for euro and
          hold  on to the change for my next trip.   The korunas got lifted from the
          mail before it arrived to them.  It was about $100 in korunas.  Ah, well,
          live and learn...

          If anyone is going to Bosnia anytime soon, I have a few Convertible Marks
          free to give. I'm not sure when I'll be back there again.(It's a cool place,
          by the way; Mostar was pretty neat) :)

          -S

          On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Ron <amiak27@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I just took a big gamble and won. I placed an envelope of cash inside an
          > International Express envelope and sent it USPS for $30.00. I was able to
          > track it on line and tell the recipient when reached Slovak customs, when
          > they first attempted delivery, and suggested they waste no time in getting
          > to the post office. They picked it up with no difficulty.
          >
          > Not recommended for the faint of heart.
          >

          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "nsspiker2001" <nsspiker@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can someone tell me the best way to send money to someone in Slovakia.
          > This was discussed several years ago but I've forgotten how it was done.
          > > Thank you

        • Bud N
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 20, 2011
            You can use Paypal for person-person transfers if both people have a paypal account.

            Jim

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

            > I just took a big gamble and won. I placed an envelope of cash inside an International Express envelope and sent it USPS for $30.00. I was able to track it on line and tell the recipient when reached Slovak customs, when they first attempted delivery, and suggested they waste no time in getting to the post office. They picked it up with no difficulty.
            >
            > Not recommended for the faint of heart.
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "nsspiker2001" <nsspiker@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can someone tell me the best way to send money to someone in Slovakia. This was discussed several years ago but I've forgotten how it was done.
            > > Thank you

          • dragansk
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 20, 2011
              As I recall, the idea we discussed a year or so again centered around using a debit or charge card. I hadn't tried the idea, but was hoping to do so some time. Would this work? -- 1. Establish a bank account or charge card account in the US with a very small amount of money in it. 2. Send the debit or charge card to the person you want to have access to the account. 3. Once you get word that the card arrived, then deposit more money into it. There would be a service charge for converting the withdrawal from dollars to euros, but I don't think it would be very much. I used a debit card in Slovak ATMs the last time I was in Slovakia and it worked really well. Comments?
              Dennis