Need some help....I goofed.

  • Taoz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 2011
      Dear friends,
      I really goofed and need some help. There was an e-mail in todays group
      which talked about making a cheese pie (at least that's what I called it in
      days gone by) and I wanted to make inquiries about the recipe for it but I
      accidentally lost it. I'm trying to recover that e-mail. Can anybody help.
      As I remember there was a sweet dough spread over a 9 inch pan and part way
      up the side. The interior was filled with farmers' cheese which had been
      mixed with a touch of vanilla, well drained crushed pineapple and I believe
      some sugar. This filled the pan which was then baked until the sides of
      the dough were well browned. Boy, was this good.
      Could anybody send me such a recipe or refer me to a copy of the lost
      e-mail. I would really appreciate it. I have not had this treat for many
      years and would like it once again before I go to my deceased relatives. I
      thank you very much.
      Pavel

    • Deb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2011
        Pavel,
        Here's the link
        http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/tvaroznik/

      • Taoz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2011
          Thank you very much for the link. I can taste it already. My mother made
          it several times a year and I always made sure that none was wasted.
          Pavel

          (mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com) , Taoz@... wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          > I really goofed and need some help. There was an e-mail in todays group
          > which talked about making a cheese pie (at least that's what I called it
          in
          > days gone by) and I wanted to make inquiries about the recipe for it but
          > accidentally lost it. I'm trying to recover that e-mail. Can anybody
          help.
          > As I remember there was a sweet dough spread over a 9 inch pan and part
          way
          > up the side. The interior was filled with farmers' cheese which had been
          > mixed with a touch of vanilla, well drained crushed pineapple and I
          believe
          > some sugar. This filled the pan which was then baked until the sides of
          > the dough were well browned. Boy, was this good.
          > Could anybody send me such a recipe or refer me to a copy of the lost
          > e-mail. I would really appreciate it. I have not had this treat for many
          > years and would like it once again before I go to my deceased relatives.
          > thank you very much.
          > Pavel

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2011
            Your description "spreading the dough up the sides"..... etc. is the way we made it.

            The cheese may be prepared from regular large curd ,"fat Free" or regular.  spread a bath Towel on the table.  On this put a smooth T towel, (or 2"overlapped.).  spred your cheese on this and cover with additional T towels.  Roll p tightly and place in the frig.  This should be done a couple of days before using.
            Before use you should put the cheese through a food Mill to make very small curds.  Not doing this might make the final cheesecake a bit watery.

            I do this each time I bake because it is cheaper than buying  the prepared dry product.

            Recipe:

            1lb. pound of cheese
            1 tsp. Vanilla extract
            1/2 cup butter, room temperature1 cup sugar
            4 egg yolks

            Combine butter ans cheese  and thoroughly mix
            add other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
            You may add grated lemon rind if you desire.
            The finished product should be soft enough to spoon out without dripping from the spoon.  If dry add some milk .  If to soft add a bit of flour.

            We always top this with "Posipka", known in the USA as "Streusel" :

            2 cups flour
            3/4 cup sugar
            3/4 cup cold margarine or butter, (I prefer butter).
            Vanilla to taste, (optional and some prefer cinnamon)

            Thoroughly blend to a coarse crumbly consistency.  If needed, add flour.  or if needed add margarine or butter.

            I do this in a mixer blending until it Combined to chunks, the finish by adding flour, to coarse consistency.

            Grease your pan and spread dough up the sides.[ I make mine in a 9" X 13" Pan ]

            spread this with your cheese mixture, at least 3/4 inch deep. spread the Posipka across the top.  spread the dough sides with beaten egg.

            Bake in a 350 degree oven, until a knife bade inerted come out clean.

            The secret to cooking is "not to be afraid".  even my mistakes have been enjoyed.  We learn from our mistakes as did our Grandmothers and Mothers.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            > I really goofed and need some help. There was an e-mail in todays group
            > which talked about making a cheese pie (at least that's what I called it in
            > days gone by) and I wanted to make inquiries about the recipe for it but I
            > accidentally lost it. I'm trying to recover that e-mail. Can anybody help.
            > As I remember there was a sweet dough spread over a 9 inch pan and part way
            > up the side. The interior was filled with farmers' cheese which had been
            > mixed with a touch of vanilla, well drained crushed pineapple and I believe
            > some sugar. This filled the pan which was then baked until the sides of
            > the dough were well browned. Boy, was this good.
            > Could anybody send me such a recipe or refer me to a copy of the lost
            > e-mail. I would really appreciate it. I have not had this treat for many
            > years and would like it once again before I go to my deceased relatives. I
            > thank you very much.
            > Pavel

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
              With all of the announcements for Slovak celebrations, I thought I would like to give you one from my Beloved Mestec~ko, Kúty.

              The word Hody , [Hoh-dee], means, (literally), Feast.  In this respect it is a "Feast", celebrating the Consecration of our  Svätého Jozefa Pestúnaoman Catholic Church (St. Joseph, Foster Father of Jesus) Built between 1717 to 1726.  This Hody begins on the weekend closest to the Feast of Our Lady of Snows.  Like our Thanksgiving, Families travel from near and far to celebrate together.  Notice that the Traditional bands are from nearby Moravian Towns.

              In towns where there are Lutheran Churches, the Hody is not celebrated but is replaces by

              "Jarmok", [Jahrr-mohk], Market Day
              or Day's.

              Historically, the feast began on Sunday morning, with Mass an then to a reserved area, where there were carnival rides, Balloons, etc.  Additionally, a brass band toured the town, playing and singing.

              In front of the City Building

              Now the "modern schedule is:8/06/2011 (Saturday) - 20:00 - brass band LANŽHOTČANKA - free entry
              of refreshments to cater firefighters.

              On the football stadium

              08/07/2011 (Sunday) - 21:00 - brass band LEGRÚTI - entry € 2.50
              08.08.2011 (Monday) - 21:00 - ESSO Music - Entrance € 2

              U Cugu, Restaurant/Disco

              05.08.2011 (Friday) - 22:00 - DISCO FOR YOU (DJ Balin) - entry € 2
              06/08/2011 (Saturday) - 22:00 - VIDEO OLDIES PARTY (DJ Marosh) - entry € 2
              07/08/2011 ( Sunday) - 22:00 - Dance Party (DJ George Benada), a live band in the courtyard YAMAHA DUO - admission € 2

              U Ferú (Bar)

              5.8.2011 (piatok) – 18:00 – OLDIES DISCO (DJ Feki) – vstup dobrovoľný
              7.8.2011 (nedeľa) – 17:00 – STAROBŘECLAVSKÁ CIMBÁLOVÁ MUZIKA – vstup 2€

              Even Hody has gone modern

              I feel sad because I am so far away from those Slovak Celebrations here and equally,to miss the joy of Kúcké Hody.

              God Bless them all and All of You,

              Vilo

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2011