Cottage Cheese Pie Recipe

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
      My father remembers a cottage cheese pie his Slovak mother made. We have a "recipe" but it doesn't include quantities!!!!!! It's a rather thin concoction...made in a jelly roll pan rather than a pie pan. My grandmother still called it cottage cheese pie.

      Anyone familiar with this and have a recipe? My Dad would love to have some again as it was one his favorites.

      Thanks, Deb
    • Marycay Doolittle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
        My family made cottage cheese pie using a pizza pan or a rectangular pan. I'll see if I can find the recipe. Very busy with too many activities so it may take me awhile to hunt for it. Think it was pretty basic; cottage cheese, egg, sugar maybe cinnamon. Baked in the oven until bubbly and browning. I'll check for the recipe and post it if I find it.

        Marycay

        My father remembers a cottage cheese pie his Slovak mother made. We have a "recipe" but it doesn't include quantities!!!!!! It's a rather thin concoction...made in a jelly roll pan rather than a pie pan. My grandmother still called it cottage cheese pie.

        Anyone familiar with this and have a recipe? My Dad would love to have some again as it was one his favorites.

        Thanks, Deb

      • Lubos Brieda
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
          Sorry Deb, don't have exact quantities either, but this is how my grandma makes it http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/tvaroznik/

          By the way, see if you can find farmer's cheese in your grocery store. Farmer's cheese is the equivalent of Slovak tvaroh (well at least the unsalted version). Farmer's cheese and cottage cheese are the same thing, except that farmer's cheese has the whey (the liquid part) removed so it's dry.

          -- Lubos Brieda --
          Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
            I vaguely remember Grandma making this for my Father but don't remember what it looks like. I'll show the link to him to see if that's what he remembers.

            BTW, no farmer's cheese easily obtained here (go figure)...is ricotta just a dry cottage cheese? And, could I substitute?

            thanks so much!
            Deb

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...> wrote:

            > Sorry Deb, don't have exact quantities either, but this is how my grandma makes it http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/tvaroznik/
            >
            > By the way, see if you can find farmer's cheese in your grocery store. Farmer's cheese is the equivalent of Slovak tvaroh (well at least the unsalted version). Farmer's cheese and cottage cheese are the same thing, except that farmer's cheese has the whey (the liquid part) removed so it's dry.
            >
            > -- Lubos Brieda --
            > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

          • Deb
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
              Thanks! I'll be watching for your post...just in case the other link isn't what my Father remembers!!!
              Deb

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

              > My family made cottage cheese pie using a pizza pan or a rectangular pan. I'll see if I can find the recipe. Very busy with too many activities so it may take me awhile to hunt for it. Think it was pretty basic; cottage cheese, egg, sugar maybe cinnamon. Baked in the oven until bubbly and browning. I'll check for the recipe and post it if I find it.
              >
              > Marycay

            • Lubos Brieda
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
                I buy the cheese in Giant, which is this big grocery chain in Virginia. It's in the section with cream cheese, and not with cottage cheese. It looks like this http://www.friendshipdairies.com/products/farmer-cheese.html

                -- Lubos Brieda --
                Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

                I vaguely remember Grandma making this for my Father but don't remember what it looks like.  I'll show the link to him to see if that's what he remembers.

                BTW, no farmer's cheese easily obtained here (go figure)...is ricotta just a dry cottage cheese?  And, could I substitute?

                thanks so much!
                Deb

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...> wrote:

                > Sorry Deb, don't have exact quantities either, but this is how my grandma makes it http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/tvaroznik/
                >
                > By the way, see if you can find farmer's cheese in your grocery store. Farmer's cheese is the equivalent of Slovak tvaroh (well at least the unsalted version). Farmer's cheese and cottage cheese are the same thing, except that farmer's cheese has the whey (the liquid part) removed so it's dry.
                >
                > -- Lubos Brieda --
                > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

              • Deb
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
                  I will look for it! If not at my local big grocery, perhaps at Whole Foods which is only about 40 min away. Thanks!