Unemployment & hiking

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2011
      Am in the village in SK and employment is always a topic. Two cousins independently referred to the predatory treatment of workers in the US as compared to SK, though they wish there was more employment and closer to home. Yes, and there have been comments about how the communists kept everyone employed. Things seem to have fallen apart for the worker since communism collapsed and capitalism lost its competition.

      I had an interesting hike on some unmapped forest trails yesterday, not shown on the current detailed maps nor the 1889 topo maps. This route seemed to be a wide road up and over the hills to connect villages where the river cut into the river bank (there is now a road with rip rap or big rock to keep the road from eroding). I rank forest roads by single wagon or tractor width or simply wide, which this was, 12 feet or so and wider, and cuts into rock faces and obviously lots of work put into its construction. It would be an expensive road to build with hand labor. Parts were washed out and parts were thickly overgrown, and the local deer have their own highway crossing a few places.

      All in all it was a beautiful walk and instructive. If it would not be so expensive to restore, I would propose SK restore such roads and add them to official hiking trails, and tell some of the stories behind them!

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

      > Say a prayer for me.  Can't hurt.
      >
      > thanks for your thoughts.  Based on statistics released this AM, I am not alone.  But I do not wish my fate on anyone.  Especially not at my age.  I had hoped to retire here.

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2011
        Forgot to mention that I was able to share with them that our grandfather worked at the Auburn Rope works for about 8 years, and he and our grandmother saved their money to buy a farm back in Hungary (Slovakia). There was a strike around 1912 or 1913 and two workers were shot. I can't help but think that those deaths added to his desire to return home. It is interesting that he did return, just on the eve of WW I, when people were anticipating war.