Re: [Slovak-World] Gravestone translation

  • Milan Olle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
      Linda, I thought you would find it intresting that my cousin married a Mr. Marion Puskar in or around Humenne about 20yrs ago. So if you are looking for your ancestral village Humenne and its environs may be a good place to look.

      Milan

      From: lcwynar <lcwynar@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Gravestone translation
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 11:23 AM

      Hello,

      I am hoping someone in the group can help translate the inscription on my great grandmother's gravestone.  The grave is in the US.  I am not sure if the inscription is in Slovak.  My great grandmother died after giving birth and her son Andrew who died a month after his mother and is buried with her.

      TUSPOCIVA
      ANDY A MARY PUSKAR
      ROD MAV R 1876 ZOM 24 JANR 1915
      OTROCIVAI VPOKOI
      DAROVAL AMNZEL

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Linda

    • lcwynar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2011
        Lubos,

        Thank you so much for the translation.

        Linda

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...> wrote:

        > Tu odpočíva: here rests
        >
        > Andy a Mary Puškár: Andy and Mary Puskar
        >
        > Rodený Máj R(oku) 1876 Zom(rel) 24 Jan(uár) 1915: Born May of year 1876, died 24. January 1915
        >
        > Odpočívaj v pokoji: Rest in peace
        >
        > Daroval manžel: donated by husband (this could be wrong as it seems bit unusual)
        >

        > -- Lubos Brieda --
        > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

      • lcwynar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2011
          Milan,

          My grandfather Michael Puskar was born in Horovce in 1898. His father was born in Secovce around 1871 but moved to Tusice as a child. My grandfather's mother, Maria Kolesar, was from Horovce.

          My grandmother's mother Susanna Andrej was from Banovce Nad Ondavou. Her father George Adam was from Trhoviste.

          Maybe Marion Puskar is a distant cousin!

          Thanks,

          Linda

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2011
            My relatives also hail from this part of the country.  Love being a fly on the wall watching this info expand.  Thank you to all who have contributed.