Gravestone translation

  • lcwynar
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
      Hello,

      I am hoping someone in the group can help translate the inscription on my great grandmother's gravestone. The grave is in the US. I am not sure if the inscription is in Slovak. My great grandmother died after giving birth and her son Andrew who died a month after his mother and is buried with her.

      TUSPOCIVA
      ANDY A MARY PUSKAR
      ROD MAV R 1876 ZOM 24 JANR 1915
      OTROCIVAI VPOKOI
      DAROVAL AMNZEL

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Linda
    • Lubos Brieda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
        Tu odpočíva: here rests

        Andy a Mary Puškár: Andy and Mary Puskar

        Rodený Máj R(oku) 1876 Zom(rel) 24 Jan(uár) 1915: Born May of year 1876, died 24. January 1915

        Odpočívaj v pokoji: Rest in peace

        Daroval manžel: donated by husband (this could be wrong as it seems bit unusual)

        -- Lubos Brieda --
        Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
          Linda, I thought you would find it intresting that my cousin married a Mr. Marion Puskar in or around Humenne about 20yrs ago. So if you are looking for your ancestral village Humenne and its environs may be a good place to look.

          Milan

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2011
            Lubos,

            Thank you so much for the translation.

            Linda

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...> wrote:

            > Tu odpočíva: here rests
            >
            > Andy a Mary Puškár: Andy and Mary Puskar
            >
            > Rodený Máj R(oku) 1876 Zom(rel) 24 Jan(uár) 1915: Born May of year 1876, died 24. January 1915
            >
            > Odpočívaj v pokoji: Rest in peace
            >
            > Daroval manžel: donated by husband (this could be wrong as it seems bit unusual)
            >

            > -- Lubos Brieda --
            > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

          • lcwynar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2011
              Milan,

              My grandfather Michael Puskar was born in Horovce in 1898. His father was born in Secovce around 1871 but moved to Tusice as a child. My grandfather's mother, Maria Kolesar, was from Horovce.

              My grandmother's mother Susanna Andrej was from Banovce Nad Ondavou. Her father George Adam was from Trhoviste.

              Maybe Marion Puskar is a distant cousin!

              Thanks,

              Linda

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2011
                My relatives also hail from this part of the country.  Love being a fly on the wall watching this info expand.  Thank you to all who have contributed.