Pictures from a Halusky Festival near Dolny Kubin

  • paulinecookbook
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
      Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you. In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116

      Tonya
    • Lubos Brieda
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
        Wow, awesome photos, Tonya! Are you currently in Slovakia?

        -- Lubos Brieda --
        Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

        Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you.  In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.

        https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116

        Tonya

      • Susan Durisek
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
          Hi Tonya...
          Where was this festival held? What was the official title? Were you there? Love your blog... Zuzka D.
          Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you. In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.

          https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116

          Tonya

        • cousinjanie1004
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
            YUMMMM !!!
            Thanks for these photos!!

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "paulinecookbook" <tharmon63@...> wrote:

            > Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you. In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.
            >
            > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116
            >
            > Tonya

          • paulinecookbook
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
              No, my cousin Jakub is visiting us for the summer, from Dolny Kubin. His friend went to the festival and took the pictures at the bryndza halusky festival in Zázrivá.

              Tonya

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...> wrote:

              > Wow, awesome photos, Tonya! Are you currently in Slovakia?
              >
              > -- Lubos Brieda --
              > Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

            • paulinecookbook
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                Hi Zuzka, it was actually a bryndza halusky cooking contest, held in Zazriva, a tiny village of a few hundred people near Dolny Kubin. I will try to find out the name of the event from my relatives.

                My cousin Josef loves to visit there, as they are famous for making the delicious string cheese, korbaciky. They make 400 tons a day there, supposedly. When we were driving to Dolny Kubin last year, we stopped along the road and bought the cheese from a shepherd who was sitting on the hillside with his sheep. Heavenly.

                Josef is coming here in a couple of weeks to visit, and I've asked him to bring some cheese too.

                I am so glad you like Pauline's Cookbook! Made my day.

                Tonya

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Durisek" <durisek@...> wrote:

                > Hi Tonya...
                > Where was this festival held? What was the official title? Were you there? Love your blog... Zuzka D.

              • paulinecookbook
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                  The event was the 14th Annual International Bryndza Halusky Cooking Contest. People from Slovakia, Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic competed.

                  Here is a picture from the village, which has beautiful restaurants and stores:

                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paulines-Cookbook/253150084682

                  By the way, had bryndza halusky last week made by my cousin. We used the Israeli feta cheese from Trader Joe's mixed with cream, and it turned out great.

                • slovak821@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                    The pictures are beautiful; thank you for sharing.
                    Jacqueline

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                      Hi Tonya,
                      Welcome to the group.

                      Helen (from down the road)

                      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                      From: tharmon63@...
                      Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:16:24 +0000

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                        I guarantee that this is one dream that cats don't have.

                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                        From: tharmon63@...
                        Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:16:24 +0000

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                          We made it to Bristol. Frank's upstairs watchiing some yapping heads on TV and I came down to read my magazine (too bad the lobby big-screen TV's tuned to the same channel as upstairs). I just happened to notice the computer here in the corner and not in use.

                          Had a delicious lunch of barbecue at a restaurant a short distance from Roanoke. I found out about it online and it was well worth the stop. They used to be located in the City Market in the center of Roanoke. That's pretty much all restaurants now. I remember going there for lunch with Lily and Grandma when we went to the Science Museum right across the street. I'd get lunch from the Cuban restaurant in the Market and Grandma would always get some barbecue.

                          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                          From: tharmon63@...
                          Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:16:24 +0000

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                            APOLOGIES!!!! I'm using a computer in a hotel lobby and it's sending my other emails to this address!

                            > To: slovak-world@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: helenfedor@...
                            > Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:32:45 -0400
                            > Subject: RE: [Slovak-World] Pictures from a Halusky Festival near Dolny Kubin
                            >

                            > We made it to Bristol. Frank's upstairs watchiing some yapping heads on TV and I came down to read my magazine (too bad the lobby big-screen TV's tuned to the same channel as upstairs). I just happened to notice the computer here in the corner and not in use.
                            >
                            > Had a delicious lunch of barbecue at a restaurant a short distance from Roanoke. I found out about it online and it was well worth the stop. They used to be located in the City Market in the center of Roanoke. That's pretty much all restaurants now. I remember going there for lunch with Lily and Grandma when we went to the Science Museum right across the street. I'd get lunch from the Cuban restaurant in the Market and Grandma would always get some barbecue.
                            >

                            > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: tharmon63@...
                            > Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:16:24 +0000
                            > Subject: [Slovak-World] Pictures from a Halusky Festival near Dolny Kubin
                            >

                            > Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you. In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.
                            >
                            > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116
                            >
                            > Tonya

                          • paulinecookbook
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 30, 2011
                              I wondered what cat dreams had to do with halusky. Yesterday I heard on CBC radio that there's a new movie out about fish dreams :)

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Helen Fedor <helenfedor@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Tonya,
                              > Welcome to the group.
                              >
                              > Helen (from down the road)
                              >

                              > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: tharmon63@...
                              > Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:16:24 +0000
                              > Subject: [Slovak-World] Pictures from a Halusky Festival near Dolny Kubin
                              >

                              > Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you. In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.
                              >
                              > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116
                              >
                              > Tonya

                            • dragansk
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 1 4:08 PM
                                Beautiful!! Wish I were there.
                                Dennis

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "paulinecookbook" <tharmon63@...> wrote:

                                > Hi all, it's my first time posting here, although I recognize many of you. In light of the recent halusky postings, I thought you might enjoy these pictures a professional photographer took at the festival last weekend. Gorgeous pictures of costumes and musicians too.
                                >
                                > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221442181223776.61975.132365456798116
                                >
                                > Tonya

                              • allanstevo
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 6 12:09 AM
                                  Great photos. Thank you for posting. The folks costumes, food, and mountains together are fantastic.

                                  Allan
                                  www.52inSk.com