RE: [Slovak-World] Possible Slovak-World Project

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2011
      Post away, Greg. It'll be interesting to try, even if we don't succeed.

      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      From: greg@...
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:02:09 +0000
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Possible Slovak-World Project

      Several times we posted that searching for interesting Slovak
      stamps at stamps shows is a great and inexpensive way to
      spend a rainy weekend.

      We had someone turn up a gem for us at a flea market.

      It was a very old envelope with the stamp missing.

      Turns out the stamp wasn't missing. The letter was mailed
      on 04 June 1830, 10 years before stamps were invented.

      To make it even more interesting, pasted on the back of the
      envelope is the embossed city seal of Pressburg, now known
      as Bratislava.

      Whoever got the mail was very careful not to tear the seal
      to open the envelope.

      Inside the envelope is a letter written in very fancy but
      neat script letters. These are called folded letters where
      both the envelope and the letter are one and the same.

      If anyone is interested in doing a translation and I can scan
      the letter without damage, I can post it on the net.

      I think it would be very interesting to see what someone
      wrote 180 years ago.

      What was so important that it survived 180 years?

      Greg