Re: [Slovak-World] Re: sherpas

  • smudsville@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
      Isn't a small cabin...a cabinet?

      ()(;o)-### dlb

      From: "votrubam" <votrubam@...>
      Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 03:37:51
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: sherpas

      Thanks, Lubos.

      The Czech-born author of the article made one mistake (and a typo in a name): according to both chalet managers (rather than a "cabin" as the article misstates it) and mountain porters, a helicopter is cheaper on a per-pound basis than a human mountain porter in the Slovak Tatras when all the costs are factored in -- their per-kilogram rate, accommodation, and food (plus some porters' "prima-donna attitude" as one chalet manager put it).

      The tradition carries on, because a few enthusiasts still hang around the mountains who desire to do it for several years in their 20s, but some chalet managers predict a foreseeable demise of the tradition. The article interviewed a single chalet manager who, as the article says, reduces her costs by employing the porters in other jobs at the same time. Few chalet managers do that.