Take the Halusky Survey!

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
      Thought I'd try something interesting -- I created a survey about halusky for members of our group to take. It includes questions about halusky experience, preferences, etc.

      To take the survey, go to:

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6YKXYYV

      This is a free Survey Monkey survey (very reputable) and it's completely anonymous. It's not a perfect survey. I realize that, but it should be interesting to see the results. I'll leave it open until Wednesday, then will report the results back to the group.

      Have fun with it.

      Dennis
    • Katherine
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
        There is something you are forgetting. Squarkie don't laugh, thats
        the way it sounds to me . It's the rendered fatback that is made - little
        hard pieces of (bacon?) The grease goes into the Halusky along with
        the cheese and the bits are sprinkled on top. The best Halusky is in Strba under the Tatra's at the cousin's house.

        Thought I'd try something interesting -- I created a survey about halusky for members of our group to take. It includes questions about halusky experience, preferences, etc.

        To take the survey, go to:

        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6YKXYYV

        This is a free Survey Monkey survey (very reputable) and it's completely anonymous. It's not a perfect survey. I realize that, but it should be interesting to see the results. I'll leave it open until Wednesday, then will report the results back to the group.

        Have fun with it.

        Dennis

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
          We made halusky using left over mashed potatoes. Best flovor is using Yukon
          Gold Potatoes. Never did master the cutting board.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
            I can't wait to see the results.
            Jacqueline

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 22, 2011
              At 9 AM Wednesday, it looks like we have 41 participants so far. That's a pretty good response, actually. We'll keep it open until this later this evening for those who would still like to take the survey.
              Dennis
            • Wyatt505@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 22, 2011
                I need some good recipes for the different variations of Halushy.
                Thanks-Jim
                _jimstroke@..._ (mailto:jimstroke@...)

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 25, 2011
                  Jim
                  I recently made some minor modifications to my recipe for Eastern Slovak potato halusky and placed in the file section of our Slovak-World discussion group. It's named Ragan-halusky.pdf there. As some have pointed out and as I know we've all seen, there are numerous versions of halusky in existence. This one is from the Cernina/Turcovce area (north of Humenne), as my Baba made it. If you would like me to e-mail this recipe to you directly, just let me know. -- Dennis

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Wyatt505@... wrote:

                  > I need some good recipes for the different variations of Halushy.
                  > Thanks-Jim
                  > _jimstroke@..._ (mailto:jimstroke@...)
                  >

                  > In a message dated 6/22/2011 9:05:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > dragansk@... writes:
                  >

                  > At 9 AM Wednesday, it looks like we have 41 participants so far. That's a
                  > pretty good response, actually. We'll keep it open until this later this
                  > evening for those who would still like to take the survey.
                  > Dennis

                • yankee1
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 26, 2011
                    Well, shoot, I went there only to see that I was too late....Oh well,

                    is there a place on here where I can look at all the recipes? Thanks
                    Donna- Yankee1

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "dragansk" <dragansk@...> wrote:

                    > Thought I'd try something interesting -- I created a survey about halusky for members of our group to take. It includes questions about halusky experience, preferences, etc.
                    >
                    > To take the survey, go to:
                    >
                    > http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6YKXYYV
                    >
                    > This is a free Survey Monkey survey (very reputable) and it's completely anonymous. It's not a perfect survey. I realize that, but it should be interesting to see the results. I'll leave it open until Wednesday, then will report the results back to the group.
                    >
                    > Have fun with it.
                    >
                    > Dennis

                  • Michelle Burke
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 16, 2011
                      Is Dennis going to post the results of the survey ... I was disappointed that it
                      was closed!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 16, 2011
                        It is posted in the files section of Slovak World web site. Under 2011 Halusky survey.

                        CB

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

                        > Is Dennis going to post the results of the survey ... I was disappointed that it
                        > was closed!
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • dragansk
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 17, 2011
                          Thank you, CB. Also, I posted a synopsis of the survey results back in June. This link should take you to that message:

                          Dennis

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:

                          > It is posted in the files section of Slovak World web site. Under 2011 Halusky survey.
                          >
                          > CB
                          >
                          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Is Dennis going to post the results of the survey ... I was disappointed that it
                          > > was closed!
                          > >

                          > > ________________________________

                        • Kimberly Miller
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 17, 2011
                            Hi From PA : ) My name is Kim. My mom always made Halusky with cabbage
                            and regular egg noodles fried till crispy in loads of butter & black
                            pepper. What's bryndzove halusky? I never had potato Halusky.

                            <P><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" style="font-size:13.5px">_______________________________________________________________<BR>Care2 makes it easy for everyone to live a healthy, green lifestyle
                            and impact the causes you care about most. Over 12 Million members!
                            http://www.care2.com

                            Feed a child by searching the web! Learn how http://www.care2.com/toolbar</font>

                          • Lubos Brieda
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 17, 2011
                              Hi Kim, there is a big difference between what Slovak Americans consider halusky, and what halusky are in Slovakia. Halusky are not pasta noodles. Instead, they are little drops of dough cooked in water. The dough is most often made from flour consisting of roughly half shredded potatoes and half flour. Sometimes they are made from flour only, or they are made by mixing flour with ground liver. These two types are used in soups. The potato kind is strained and served with either bryndza (slovak feta) or sauerkraut mixed in, and it's eaten as main dish, often accompanied by kefir. You'll find the recipes on my site, if interested.

                              -- Lubos Brieda --
                              Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com