Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Festivals

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 12, 2011
      I do not have all the information for the festival this year but will post it as soon as
      I do. You can also call Steve Zluky at 908-534-2710/
      Katherine in New Jersey

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 13, 2011
        Try this:

        http://www.meetup.com/Czech-and-Slovaks-Philadelphia/

        They have a meetup every month.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amymemom" <amymemom@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know of any upcoming Slovak events/festivals near Philadelphia, PA?

      • MaryElizabeth Lackey
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 13, 2011
          There is a festival in Pittsburg the first weekend in November at the college.

          The national Czech/Slovak genological society national meeting is this October in St. Louis.

          Name a state and there is probably a festival.......

        • cvargacvarga
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 13, 2011
            There used to be one in Baltimore in Oct. but the last couple of times I went it seemed to be fading so I don't know if they still have it.

            You can look at this site:

            http://www.panix.com/~czslha/

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "amymemom" <amymemom@...> wrote:

            > Anyone know of any upcoming Slovak events/festivals near Philadelphia, PA?

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 13, 2011
              I neglected to tell the group that if you were in Anchorage last Friday there was a Czech-Slovak festival, as there has been for the last 10 years.

              We do need more Slovaks to attend, as there were only two of us to represent us.

              PS. It was too much to ask for the Czechs (American and Czech born) to know what a Rusyn or Ruthenian is....)

            • Pbap923@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                Are there any in KY? I have never seen or heard of one. Would love to go to one.

                There is a festival in Pittsburg the first weekend in November at the college.

                The national Czech/Slovak genological society national meeting is this October in St. Louis.

                Name a state and there is probably a festival.......

              • Bobbi J. Town
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                  Do you know of any Slovak Festivals that occur in the Western part of the US? I live in Arizona - my parents came from Slovkia but moved from
                  the East Coast when I was a baby.

                  Bobbi

                • woolbull@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                    My Mom and Dad started the Slovak - American Club in Miami in the 50's. All the "old country" Slovaks down there have since passed. The Club merged with the Polish American Club in the 70's. I cannot find a single activity here in Florida to take my "kids" 40 and 35, for them to appreciate their heritage. (It's one of Pop's things they say) Yawl know of stuff in Florida?
                    Are there any in KY? I have never seen or heard of one. Would love to go to one.

                    There is a festival in Pittsburg the first weekend in November at the college.

                    The national Czech/Slovak genological society national meeting is this October in St. Louis.

                    Name a state and there is probably a festival.......

                  • Sue
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                      Hey, to the Miami person... If you find anything, please let me know! I thought there was still a Czech-Slovak club somewhere up in North Miami (I was thinking it was, perhaps, kinda near Johnson & Wales)??

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                        American Czech-Slovak Cultural Club
                        13325 Arch Creek Road
                        North Miami, FL 33191
                        305.891.9130

                        http://acscc.org

                        Their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Czech-Slovak-Cultural-Club/328465222476?sk=wall#!/pages/American-Czech-Slovak-Cultural-Club/328465222476?sk=info) says they will be closed during the summer months

                        =

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
                          My family visited the Polish club in the older part of Miami down by the river back in the 60s.  What a blast from the past!

                          Thank you!

                          There was an old Slovak watch & clock repairman, I think the name was Cousinou, Kousinou, or something similar.  There were really a nice family.

                          Haven't thought about that for decades.  Thanks for the thought.  Hope you have fun re-connecting!

                          Chuck

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 15, 2011

                            Arizona - there are Tucson Czech/Slovak group and an annual Prague festival in Phoenix each year
                            Texas has TONS of organizations
                            California has TONS of organizations
                            Kentucky - haven't found one specifically in Kentucky but there's a meetup group: http://www.meetup.com/czech-154/%c2%a0in northern Virgina if you're on the east side of the state but you can google CzechEvents or Czechmatediary and they both have lists of organizations

                            Thanks,
                            MaryElizabeth

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Thank you for representing S-W there!  We were w/ you in spirit.