Re: Learn to play Overtone flu te “Koncovka”

  • allanstevo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 8:58 AM
      I've played around with a koncovka at least half a dozen times and own a fujara that I play quite often, but I had no idea that there was such an art to it. I'm quite impressed with this information about the difficulty of the koncovka. Thank you, Ben.
      Allan

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

      > YEAH, I have some. :-)
      > Bob is a brilliant player, and his ability to teach is excellent.  But, I have to throughly disagree with the first sentence.  Anyone can make noises on a koncovka, but the harmonic tones are so close together, and the method of playing so deceptively "simple," that it is actually one of the hardest instruments to play well.  Your ear has to be spot on to play it- and that is hard to teach.  The Lydian scale that is inherent to the koncovka will add to the difficulty of playing this instrument; if you are on the wrong note to begin with, that scale will not allow you to "save" yourself unless you know it VERY well.  You have to hear the melody in your head so well, and be so confident with it that you can sing it on a whim or in your sleep before you can transpose it to a koncovka reasonably well.
      >
      > I would take the course, if I didn't already play it.  :-) But I would have to say that you can't lie to yourself- there is no free lunch.  It is not going to be all as simple as it looks here to play it well.  It will actually take a lifetime, but then again, anything worth doing takes alot of hard work. :-) And the promise of hard work with such tangible rewards I would recommend to anyone. :-) GO PLAY A KONCOVKA!
      > Ben
      > PS. Chuck, you should buy the songbook. :-)
      >

      > ________________________________

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3 11:25 AM
        This really brings back some happy memories. In 2006, I went to Dlhe Straze to
        visit a friends relatives. We were invited to visit Michal Smetanka in Spissky
        Hrhov. Michal holds a PHD in Education, working daily in his field. He helps
        in keeping the Spisky Hrad, (castle), visitors area open. Michal also has a
        small museum and workshop, where he carves fujata and various other wind
        instruments as well as facsimiles of villages.

        Michal also plays these instruments for many folk music gatherings ans has
        played here in the USA. He demonstrated to us by playining a double fujar as
        well as a koncovka. My good friend Gerorge K. Clyne, who accpmanied me on the
        trip, joined with him in playing the koncovka and it was a memorable concert.

        Michal is married and had 2 children, when last I visited. He manages to do all
        of these things as well as spend time with his beautiful wife and children,
        which is amazing. You might like tohear him play the koncovka on youtube:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_hzPhdYLY and visit his site at:
        http://www.rpicpo.sk/portal/?c=23&id=58&ctg=12

        Thanks for the "memory Tickle".

        Z Bohom

        Vilo

        ________________________________
        Overtone flute called "koncovka" is one of the simplest instruments, and also
        one very easy to play by anybody. It is native to Slovakia, but there is growing
        interest in many countries including the USA, to play this unique flute.

        Koncovka (alikvotni pistala) has no side holes, and playing overtones with
        either open, or closed far end of the flute creates whole range of tones, only
        one finger is needed to play koncovka.

        You or your children have the chance to learn to play koncovka right here, right
        now. For the first time there is a Koncovka course, under the wings of Common
        Ground on the Hill, summer course Traditions Week 1, at McDaniel's College in
        Westminster, Maryland. (Address: McDaniel College 2 College Hill Westminster,
        Maryland 21157; tel. 410-848-7000)

        The Koncovka class is in the first week of July (7/4 – 7/8) from 4 P.M. to 5:45
[...]

      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3 10:20 PM
          Dear Vilo,

          That is what Ben was talking about. that little flicker of the finger at the end of the koncovka is not easy to learn. Breath control (very subtle) is important and difficult to learn. If you do not get these under control, the koncovka turns into a noise maker, i.e. Halloween.

          Príjemný víkend.

          Dr. "Q"

          > memories.  In 2006, I went to Dlhe Straz
          > visit a friends relatives.  We were invited to visit
          > Michal Smetanka in Spissky
          > Hrhov.  Michal holds a PHD in Education, working daily
          > in his field.  He helps
          > in keeping the Spisky Hrad, (castle),  visitors area
          > open.  Michal also has a
          > small museum and workshop, where he carves fujata and
          > various other wind
          > instruments as well as facsimiles of villages.
          >

          > Michal also plays these instruments for many folk music
          > gatherings ans has
          > played here in the USA.  He demonstrated to us by
          > playining a double fujar as
          > well as a koncovka.  My good friend Gerorge K. Clyne,
          > who accpmanied me on the
          > trip, joined with him in playing the koncovka and it was a
          > memorable concert.
          >
          > Michal is married and had 2 children, when last I
          > visited.  He manages to do all
          > of these things as well as spend time with his beautiful
          > wife and children,
          > which is amazing.  You might like tohear him play the
          > koncovka on youtube:
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_hzPhdYLY%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0and
          > visit his site at:
          > http://www.rpicpo.sk/portal/?c=23&id=58&ctg=12
          >

          > Thanks for the "memory Tickle".
          >
          > Z Bohom
          >
          > Vilo
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3 11:55 PM
            My Dear Old friend,

            Long time no talk.... I know you are perfectly correct and I was amazed when my
            friend George began to play as if he played all of the time.
            I have a great respect for you musicians. The art really shows in all of your
            personalities.

            Say hello to your Honey and God be with you both,

            Komos~,

            Vilko