Learn to play Overtone flute “Koncovka”

  • cvargacvarga
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
      Overtone flute called "koncovka" is one of the simplest instruments, and also one very easy to play by anybody. It is native to Slovakia, but there is growing interest in many countries including the USA, to play this unique flute.

      Koncovka (alikvotni pistala) has no side holes, and playing overtones with either open, or closed far end of the flute creates whole range of tones, only one finger is needed to play koncovka.

      You or your children have the chance to learn to play koncovka right here, right now. For the first time there is a Koncovka course, under the wings of Common Ground on the Hill, summer course Traditions Week 1, at McDaniel's College in Westminster, Maryland. (Address: McDaniel College 2 College Hill Westminster, Maryland 21157; tel. 410-848-7000)

      The Koncovka class is in the first week of July (7/4 – 7/8) from 4 P.M. to 5:45 P.M., this time of the class was chosen to enable participation to those who need to go to work or school in the morning. For details of the program, see:

      <http://www.commongroundonthehill.org/index.html>

      and click: Traditions Week 1, and register "on-line" (5th period, Overtone flute).

      Everybody will be playing several songs and improvise and the end of the course. You can also learn to play melodies in several minor or major pentatonic scales. Beginner instruments are available right in the class for $20.

      The class is being offered for the first time in this country, by experienced player and teacher Bob Rychlik. Fujara will be also presented in the class, but the main subject is the koncovka. Bob would be staying longer after the class for anybody who would need help with fujara playing.

      At the end of Traditions Week 1, there is a weekend festival (7/9-7/10), Bob will be performing there with fujara and koncovka as well, on Saturday 7/9.

      http://www.commongroundonthehill.org/2011Festival.html

      (Address: Carroll Country Farm Museum, 500 S. Center Street, Westminster, MD 21157)Enjoy.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
        Ben?  Any thoughts?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
          YEAH, I have some. :-)
          Bob is a brilliant player, and his ability to teach is excellent.  But, I have to throughly disagree with the first sentence.  Anyone can make noises on a koncovka, but the harmonic tones are so close together, and the method of playing so deceptively "simple," that it is actually one of the hardest instruments to play well.  Your ear has to be spot on to play it- and that is hard to teach.  The Lydian scale that is inherent to the koncovka will add to the difficulty of playing this instrument; if you are on the wrong note to begin with, that scale will not allow you to "save" yourself unless you know it VERY well.  You have to hear the melody in your head so well, and be so confident with it that you can sing it on a whim or in your sleep before you can transpose it to a koncovka reasonably well.

          I would take the course, if I didn't already play it.  :-) But I would have to say that you can't lie to yourself- there is no free lunch.  It is not going to be all as simple as it looks here to play it well.  It will actually take a lifetime, but then again, anything worth doing takes alot of hard work. :-) And the promise of hard work with such tangible rewards I would recommend to anyone. :-) GO PLAY A KONCOVKA!
          Ben
          PS. Chuck, you should buy the songbook. :-)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
            Bob is a very accomplished and outstanding musician as is demonstrated by his Library of Congress presentation:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y5fonktBzQ

            Over the years (many years!), I have learned to play flute, piccolo, clarinet, oboe, and saxophone. I can play a couple of tunes on the bassoon, English horn, trumpet, trombone, and a few string instruments such as the guitar, violin, and banjo. As some of you have seen and heard, I started to learn how to play the fujara a few years ago but the koncovka is still a mystery even though I have two very nice ones. However, with the exception of the saxophone and flute (Irish whistle included), I am a dilettante.

            There are very few people who can pick up a new and strange instrument and become proficient with it in a few days let alone a few hours.

            However, there is no reason not to learn how to play a new instrument - it will take time and practice. By all means attend the workshop and perhaps Ben and I will hear you play on November 5-6 in Pittsburgh.

            Dr, "Q"

            > Bob is a brilliant player, and his ability to teach is
            > excellent.  But, I have to throughly disagree with the
            > first sentence.  Anyone can make noises on a koncovka, but
            > the harmonic tones are so close together, and the method of
            > playing so deceptively "simple," that it is actually one of
            > the hardest instruments to play well.  Your ear has to be
            > spot on to play it- and that is hard to teach.  The Lydian
            > scale that is inherent to the koncovka will add to the
            > difficulty of playing this instrument; if you are on the
            > wrong note to begin with, that scale will not allow you to
            > "save" yourself unless you know it VERY well.  You have to
            > hear the melody in your head so well, and be so confident
            > with it that you can sing it on a whim or in your sleep
            > before you can transpose it to a koncovka reasonably well.
            >
            > I would take the course, if I didn't already play it.  :-)
            > But I would have to say that you can't lie to yourself-
            > there is no free lunch.  It is not going to be all as
            > simple as it looks here to play it well.  It will actually
            > take a lifetime, but then again, anything worth doing takes
            > alot of hard work. :-) And the promise of hard work with
            > such tangible rewards I would recommend to anyone. :-) GO
            > PLAY A KONCOVKA!
            > Ben
            > PS. Chuck, you should buy the songbook. :-)
            >

            > ________________________________

          • allanstevo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
              I've played around with a koncovka at least half a dozen times and own a fujara that I play quite often, but I had no idea that there was such an art to it. I'm quite impressed with this information about the difficulty of the koncovka. Thank you, Ben.
              Allan

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

              > YEAH, I have some. :-)
              > Bob is a brilliant player, and his ability to teach is excellent.  But, I have to throughly disagree with the first sentence.  Anyone can make noises on a koncovka, but the harmonic tones are so close together, and the method of playing so deceptively "simple," that it is actually one of the hardest instruments to play well.  Your ear has to be spot on to play it- and that is hard to teach.  The Lydian scale that is inherent to the koncovka will add to the difficulty of playing this instrument; if you are on the wrong note to begin with, that scale will not allow you to "save" yourself unless you know it VERY well.  You have to hear the melody in your head so well, and be so confident with it that you can sing it on a whim or in your sleep before you can transpose it to a koncovka reasonably well.
              >
              > I would take the course, if I didn't already play it.  :-) But I would have to say that you can't lie to yourself- there is no free lunch.  It is not going to be all as simple as it looks here to play it well.  It will actually take a lifetime, but then again, anything worth doing takes alot of hard work. :-) And the promise of hard work with such tangible rewards I would recommend to anyone. :-) GO PLAY A KONCOVKA!
              > Ben
              > PS. Chuck, you should buy the songbook. :-)
              >

              > ________________________________

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                This really brings back some happy memories. In 2006, I went to Dlhe Straze to
                visit a friends relatives. We were invited to visit Michal Smetanka in Spissky
                Hrhov. Michal holds a PHD in Education, working daily in his field. He helps
                in keeping the Spisky Hrad, (castle), visitors area open. Michal also has a
                small museum and workshop, where he carves fujata and various other wind
                instruments as well as facsimiles of villages.

                Michal also plays these instruments for many folk music gatherings ans has
                played here in the USA. He demonstrated to us by playining a double fujar as
                well as a koncovka. My good friend Gerorge K. Clyne, who accpmanied me on the
                trip, joined with him in playing the koncovka and it was a memorable concert.

                Michal is married and had 2 children, when last I visited. He manages to do all
                of these things as well as spend time with his beautiful wife and children,
                which is amazing. You might like tohear him play the koncovka on youtube:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_hzPhdYLY and visit his site at:
                http://www.rpicpo.sk/portal/?c=23&id=58&ctg=12

                Thanks for the "memory Tickle".

                Z Bohom

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                  Dear Vilo,

                  That is what Ben was talking about. that little flicker of the finger at the end of the koncovka is not easy to learn. Breath control (very subtle) is important and difficult to learn. If you do not get these under control, the koncovka turns into a noise maker, i.e. Halloween.

                  Príjemný víkend.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  > memories.  In 2006, I went to Dlhe Straz
                  > visit a friends relatives.  We were invited to visit
                  > Michal Smetanka in Spissky
                  > Hrhov.  Michal holds a PHD in Education, working daily
                  > in his field.  He helps
                  > in keeping the Spisky Hrad, (castle),  visitors area
                  > open.  Michal also has a
                  > small museum and workshop, where he carves fujata and
                  > various other wind
                  > instruments as well as facsimiles of villages.
                  >

                  > Michal also plays these instruments for many folk music
                  > gatherings ans has
                  > played here in the USA.  He demonstrated to us by
                  > playining a double fujar as
                  > well as a koncovka.  My good friend Gerorge K. Clyne,
                  > who accpmanied me on the
                  > trip, joined with him in playing the koncovka and it was a
                  > memorable concert.
                  >
                  > Michal is married and had 2 children, when last I
                  > visited.  He manages to do all
                  > of these things as well as spend time with his beautiful
                  > wife and children,
                  > which is amazing.  You might like tohear him play the
                  > koncovka on youtube:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_hzPhdYLY%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0and
                  > visit his site at:
                  > http://www.rpicpo.sk/portal/?c=23&id=58&ctg=12
                  >

                  > Thanks for the "memory Tickle".
                  >
                  > Z Bohom
                  >
                  > Vilo
                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2011
                    My Dear Old friend,

                    Long time no talk.... I know you are perfectly correct and I was amazed when my
                    friend George began to play as if he played all of the time.
                    I have a great respect for you musicians. The art really shows in all of your
                    personalities.

                    Say hello to your Honey and God be with you both,

                    Komos~,

                    Vilko