Scripts

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2011
      > church records [early 1700s] for Gbely. They don't seem to be
      > regular latin, but more a mix of latin and strange symbols.

      They may be the type of script called Textura or Schwabacher or Fraktur or Kurrentschrift. Use image search, look separately for each of those words, and you'll probably find images of that type of script (usually called blackletter or Gothic script in English). Especially some of the capital letters may look like strange symbols, but all of them are Latin scripts. Here's quite an incomplete comparison:

      <http://tinyurl.com/3x52c5q>

      If you find a whole alphabet, upper case + lower case, you may compare them with what you see in your document, Larry.

      > if they could be what I've heard of as "old church Slavonic"

      No. If anything, they might be Cyrillic letters (which developed from the ancient OCS script), but those were used only by the Eastern Orthodox/Greek Catholic Church(es). No chance for that in Gbely.