Pittsburgh Folk Fest

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18 10:07 AM
      The Pittsburgh Folk Fest was this past weekend. The Slovaks performed on Saturday, and did a fine job as always (dances from eastern Slovakia). Attendance seemed to me about the same as last year, not bad but not great either. I don't think it was advertised very much beforehand, I only realized it was that weekend because I looked it up on the web.

      Many of the European groups who used to participate all the time have dropped out, either completely (no performance, food booth, or display), or partially: Scandinavians, Italians, Poles, Slovenians, Serbs, Croatians, Hungarians. On the other hand, it's nice to see some newer groups that are starting to participate: Iranians, Syrians, Turks, Vietnamese, Swiss, Bhutanese.

      Some youtube links, more might pop up in few days:

      Bhutan (performance starts at about 2 minute point):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdxCMvDs8xY

      Rusyns:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jsfGBnOIfY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

      Ukrainians, Indians, Bulgarians:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTzOkGrot4

      Joe
    • Inez Giles
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18 10:40 AM
        Joe, thanks for sharing! The Slavjane dancers are really good! I can't
        believe they performed as long a program as they did. Loved the
        movement in the girls' skirts and their footwork was tight. Their
        opening karicka was really nicely done, wasn't it! Kudos to their
        choreographer. The acrobatics in the last set are not to be missed. I
        so envy them their wonderfully healthy knees. <smile>

        It's always fun to see their energy and enthusiasm. Thanks again for
        sharing - Inez

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
          This is the event scheduled for May 2012, right?

          I need to get to it one year.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
            Yes, next year's fest is May 18-20, 2012 at the Monroeville Convention Center, just east of Pittsburgh. You can bookmark www.pghfolkfest.org and check there next spring.

            Joe

          • Inez Giles
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2011
              Joe, thanks for sharing the date. It's distressing to look at the Festival Home Page. Their "latest" photos are from 2007 and their audio links are dated 2008. One recent blog item dated May 15, 2011, announces free entry after 4:00 pm and reduced prices on food. Very sad. I hope things turn around for them. – Inez, who remembers when…

              > This is the event scheduled for May 2012, right?
              >
              > I need to get to it one year.

            • Armata, Joseph R
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10 5:57 AM
                The Pittsburgh Folk Fest is coming up May 18 to 20. People in the area can check the schedule online at http://www.pghfolkfest.org/. The Slovaks are performing on Saturday.

                I see many ethnic groups that used to participate have dropped out; the festival may be dwindling away.

                Joe
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10 7:25 AM
                  Thanks, Joe.  If I had any money left, I would be on my way.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5 5:31 AM
                    The Pittsburgh Folk Fest has fallen on hard times. This year it'll be held for one evening only, instead of a full weekend. It's this Friday, May 9, at the Monroeville Convention Center in Monroeville PA, from 4 to 10 pm. The Slovaks are performing at 5:30pm. Tickets are $5 at the door, plenty of free parking.

                    http://www.pghfolkfest.org/

                    Joe
                  • Marycay Doolitttle
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5 12:57 PM
                      Are there any festivals near Albany, NY?

                      Marycay Doolittle