Re: [Slovak-World] Gbely households

  • Pamela White
    Message 1 of 29 , May 3, 2011
      What a background info and for me the phonetic helps me to read and understand Slovak better.
      I contacted you off group in case you no longer had my email address.
      I would love to see any photos you are willing to scan and share.
      Pam
      Message 2 of 29 , May 3, 2011
        PANI-- In RUSYN, Pani is the word for "queen, special person". We call a Priest's wife Pani to honor her. maxine sasala

        I would love to see the record-- as "Pani" is the Slovak word for "Mrs." I
        think his wife would most certainly have gone by "pani..."

        Better that than "panic" (Slovak word). :-)
        Ben

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 29 , May 3, 2011
          :-) It is fun when you get immersed!
          However, Slovak can be a daunting language. . . especially when compared to the
          romance languages.
          Ben

          ________________________________
          Just goes to show my lack of Slovak blood but desire to know more of Slovak
          life.
          Pam

          In the old church records they refer to people belonging to households.
          For example, the Lorenc line I am researching is house #240
          do they still use that system today?
          If I went to Slovakia could I find that house 240?

          I have no Slovak blood but married a very americanized 1/4 slovak man and he
          knew nothing of his slovak history.
          I have searched for years and am now finding many things!
          Pam

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 29 , May 3, 2011
            Pam,

            " He has played professionally with a very popular Maravian Cymbalom Band in
            Straz~nica. In later years, he played with a Cymbalom Band, (forgot the name),
            in Bratislava when they made a CD, (I do have a copy)."

            CD: Vinec~ko, Vino [Veen-ehchkoh Veenoh with the cymbal [Tseem-bahll] orchestra
            Adnrej Vc~elika [Ahn-drrehee Vchehlee-kah].

            Cymbalom:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbalom

            Try listening to this type music on Youtube. I love it very much. The other
            major typeof music is Dychovka {Dee-khovv-kah}, (Brass Band.

            And then, (of course), there is Ben Sorenson, our Slovak, non-Slovak, (according
            to the gospel of St. Vlado).

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 29 , May 5, 2011
              Susan:

              I had a different experience.

              One issue I always had was how 30 people would all live in one house in a small village in Slovakia according to parish registers.

              Maros Krajnak tracked down the house for us and it wasn't cabin but more of a manor house.

              Plenty of room for 30 occupants.

              Greg

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Durisek" <durisek@...> wrote:

              > I would add that after finding the supposed house number for where my grandfather was born in a city in Slovakia, and going to visit the family there which ended up not being my family at all, that sometimes the house numbers ... perhaps especially in areas where there are lots of kopanice or rural settlements nearby... need to be carefully scrutinized. If your house number has a notation like "streda" or "kop" or some other letter other than c~ (~cislo), you may be in for a fun wild goose chase through the countryside looking for rural numbered homes. For me, it was a delightful process. Helene...remember the goose lady? I think you were with me that day! Smiles... Zuzka D.

            • Susan Durisek
              Message 6 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                Hi Greg... Yes... When I finally found the correct location, it was a large house, U shaped with barns across from the open end... along with a couple satellite houses...like a manor you're describing. But it wasn't in the town, it was a few miles away at something I discovered was a Durisek settlement. It had the same number as a house in town, which caused initial confusion... but then I realized the abbreviation next to the number meant it was in a rural location. Where is your family's "manor" located? Mine's in the Myjava area. Z.

                Message 7 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                  I crossed myself on the forehead, the mouth & then the chest when I read this.