Re: [Slovak-World] Name: Popadak, Popadjak or Popagyak

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1, 2011
      Forward ages.

      ________________________________
      From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, May 1, 2011 10:14:39 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Name: Popadak, Popadjak or Popagyak

      Vilko:

      What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &
      grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

      Chuck
      From Kosice

      Message 2 of 21 , May 1, 2011
        Found 5 Jozef's Origin Parno. No luck for Censak. do you have her Town of
        origin or original Pronunciation?

        Z Bohom,

        Vilko

        ________________________________
        What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &
        grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

        Chuck
        From Kosice

        Message 3 of 21 , May 3, 2011
          Jozef was born 17 Oct 1892.  Apparently had a younger brother [I had thought he was an only child] born a year later, Jan 17 Dec 1893.
          Hope this helps.
          Parents were:
          Jozef Popagyak born 1871 in Parchovany as well.   And mother Maria Komar.
          Christened 2 Aug 1871, married 29 Aug 1892 to Maria Richreszt.
          Her parents are listed as  Jan Richreszt & Zuzana Magyar.
          I was wondering if you could locate any manifest or transit information.
          btw, I have acquired an unemployed English student from Hungary, I think.  We are to meet tomorrow AM for a trip to Parchovany.  I am not sure what we w/ do or find, but plan to start @ the city hall & take it from there.
          Any suggested Dos & Don'ts would be most appreciated from the group.  Particularly if family can be located.
          Gratefully,Chuck
          PS I never would have made it thus far without the assistance & support of this group.  Thank you all.
          Remarried Anna Madar in 1923.
           Anna Madar
          From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 21 , May 3, 2011
            1910 to Lisbon Falls Maine??

            ________________________________

            What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &

            grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

            Chuck

            From Kosice

            Message 5 of 21 , May 3, 2011
              Chuck,
              Jozef Popagyak, b. 1892, last residence Parchovany, emmigrated on 5 May 1910, age 17, aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria from Hamburg to New York. Record is found among the Hamburg records. I can send an electronic image of ship manifest to any e-mail address you want.

              Curt B.

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

              > Jozef was born 17 Oct 1892.  Apparently had a younger brother [I had thought he was an only child] born a year later, Jan 17 Dec 1893.
              > Hope this helps.
              > Parents were:
              > Jozef Popagyak born 1871 in Parchovany as well.   And mother Maria Komar.
              > Christened 2 Aug 1871, married 29 Aug 1892 to Maria Richreszt.
              > Her parents are listed as  Jan Richreszt & Zuzana Magyar.
              > I was wondering if you could locate any manifest or transit information.
              > btw, I have acquired an unemployed English student from Hungary, I think.  We are to meet tomorrow AM for a trip to Parchovany.  I am not sure what we w/ do or find, but plan to start @ the city hall & take it from there.
              > Any suggested Dos & Don'ts would be most appreciated from the group.  Particularly if family can be located.
              > Gratefully,Chuck
              > PS I never would have made it thus far without the assistance & support of this group.  Thank you all.
              > Remarried Anna Madar in 1923.
              >  Anna Madar

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                Chuck,

                (You got it Kurt!)

                Jozef came with a man, 18, from Parchovany, Jan Kuric~ka. They both went to
                Maine. Jzef, Lisbon Falls and Ja, Madison.

                I finally got the "art work" done on the manifest, for you.

                Z Bohom, you both,

                Vilko

                ________________________________
                Jozef Popagyak, b. 1892, last residence Parchovany, emmigrated on 5 May 1910,
                age 17, aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria from Hamburg to New York. Record
                is found among the Hamburg records. I can send an electronic image of ship
                manifest to any e-mail address you want.

                Curt B.

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

                > Jozef was born 17 Oct 1892. Â Apparently had a younger brother [I had thought
                >he was an only child] born a year later, Jan 17 Dec 1893.
                > Hope this helps.
                > Parents were:Â
                > Jozef Popagyak born 1871 in Parchovany as well. Â And mother Maria Komar.
                > Christened 2 Aug 1871, married 29 Aug 1892 to Maria Richreszt. Â
                > Her parents are listed as  Jan Richreszt & Zuzana Magyar.
                > I was wondering if you could locate any manifest or transit information.
                > btw, I have acquired an unemployed English student from Hungary, I think. Â We
                >are to meet tomorrow AM for a trip to Parchovany. Â I am not sure what we w/ do
                >or find, but plan to start @ the city hall & take it from there.
                > Any suggested Dos & Don'ts would be most appreciated from the group.
                >Â Particularly if family can be located.
                > Gratefully,Chuck
                > PS I never would have made it thus far without the assistance & support of this
                >group. Â Thank you all.
                > Remarried Anna Madar in 1923.
                > Â Anna Madar

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                  Chuck & Vilo,
                  Also very interesting is that the brother Jan Popagyak, and a cousin? Andras Popagyak both from Parchovany, also immigrated aboard the Barcelona out of Hamburg, on Apr 23 1912. They are both then aged eighteen, so born about 1894. Jan is the son of Jozef Popagyak and Andras is the son of [widow?]Zusa Propagyak with whom Andras had been living in Parchovany.

                  Janos is headed to Douglas, Massachusetts, and Andras to Baysville, Ohio.

                  Vilo, you might want to make a good copy of this one too.

                  Curt B.

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                  > Chuck,
                  >
                  > (You got it Kurt!)
                  >
                  > Jozef came with a man, 18, from Parchovany, Jan Kuric~ka. They both went to
                  > Maine. Jzef, Lisbon Falls and Ja, Madison.
                  >
                  > I finally got the "art work" done on the manifest, for you.
                  >
                  > Z Bohom, you both,
                  >
                  > Vilko
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • cantina2000
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2011
                    There are so many messages in this thread that it is hard to follow, but www.findagrave.com has information on Joseph J Popadak and his wife, Anna M Cencak, including pictures of their tombstone.
                  • Susan Durisek
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2011
                      I found some Ellis Island possible folks under these spellings... probably are more, but whoever wants this could search also :
                      Papadjak, Poapdic, Popadek
                      Happy Hunting!
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4, 2011
                        SUper site, THANKS!

                        Vilo

                        ________________________________
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                          Hi everyone - A special event will bring 3 fashion designers from Slovakia to
                          New York City. I was contacted by one designer from Trencin and saw one of her
                          dresses - it was gorgeous - she incorporates folk motifs.

                          The event is May 13 and if you would like more info contact 646 345-1196.

                          Wish i could be there but can't. But I will get to meet the designer in Piestany
                          - she is coming to my mother's 93.5 birthday party on June 22 - we may even have
                          a mini-fashion show - everyone is invited! It's always a fun time - e mail me
                          direct for more info - helenezx@....

                          helene

                        • Greg
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                            Helene:

                            A New York fashion event can be real fun.

                            You should go.

                            For many years I was part of the NYC fashion scene.

                            I even took a side trip to Baltimore to see your Baltimore Slovak showshow many years ago.

                            It was great.

                            Greg

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                              Some of the fashions I see here are simply amazing.
                              They have some Slovak women here who approach 6' in height w/ about a 25" waist.  I would think that their clothing must be custom made.
                              I am going to have  a tough time returning to the US in a few days.  I wish I could make the event in NYC.

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                I am overwhelmed.  Simply overwhelmed.

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                  Curt:
                                  This address w/ work fine:  daxthewarrior@...
                                  thank you.
                                  Chuck

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                    That is where my mother was born.  Along w/ 10 of her siblings.

                                    From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                                    From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

                                    What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &

                                    grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

                                    Chuck

                                    From Kosice

                                    From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com