wedding gifts question

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2003
      One of my Slovak cousins (we've been corresponding for 2+ years) is getting
      married in 3 weeks, and I'd love to send her a gift. She and her husband
      are not setting up their own household yet, they're moving in with a parent
      who can no longer live alone (due to age/health).

      Are there any gifts that are traditional for a modern young
      couple? conversely, anything I should avoid giving that I might not
      realize is an inappropriate gift (on the order of not giving dried flowers
      to your host/ess). I'm really not sure what they want or need; I was
      thinking along the lines of a nice set of towels (aren't I imaginative?)
      which would be easy to ship 'cause they're not breakable; but I wanted to
      sound you knowledgeable folks out first.

      BTW, her wedding invitation was lovely--besides names, date and location,
      it was just the two lines: oznamuju celemu svetu jednu prostu krasnu
      vetu: "budeme sa brat'", which I understand to mean "they announce to the
      whole world one simple beautiful sentence: 'we will be married' "
      I thought it very sweet.

      D'akujem za radu,

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • slocrobear
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2003
        Hi Julie

        When my cousin got married several years ago, I took them to the
        crystal shop and told them to pick something very special and bought
        it for them.

        When her sister got married, I sent money and told them to do the
        same thing and then I asked them to send me fotos of what they bought.

        Hope this helps...

        marko

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@p...> wrote:
        > One of my Slovak cousins (we've been corresponding for 2+ years) is
        getting
        > married in 3 weeks, and I'd love to send her a gift. She and her
        husband
        > are not setting up their own household yet, they're moving in with
        a parent
        > who can no longer live alone (due to age/health).
        >
        > Are there any gifts that are traditional for a modern young
        > couple? conversely, anything I should avoid giving that I might
        not
        > realize is an inappropriate gift (on the order of not giving dried
        flowers
        > to your host/ess). I'm really not sure what they want or need; I
        was
        > thinking along the lines of a nice set of towels (aren't I
        imaginative?)
        > which would be easy to ship 'cause they're not breakable; but I
        wanted to
        > sound you knowledgeable folks out first.
        >
        > BTW, her wedding invitation was lovely--besides names, date and
        location,
        > it was just the two lines: oznamuju celemu svetu jednu prostu
        krasnu
        > vetu: "budeme sa brat'", which I understand to mean "they announce
        to the
        > whole world one simple beautiful sentence: 'we will be married' "
        > I thought it very sweet.
        >
        > D'akujem za radu,
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@p...
      • Gergely
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2003
          We haven't been there since 95, but then a nice set of towels would have
          been a very nice gift. It seemed that everywhere we went, linen goods were
          scarce, especially nice stuff. Things may have changed since then though.

          We are in the same boat, need belated wedding and baby gifts. Looking for
          suggestions.

          Jack and Chris Gergely

          > When my cousin got married several years ago, I took them to the
          > crystal shop and told them to pick something very special and bought
          > it for them.
          >
          > When her sister got married, I sent money and told them to do the
          > same thing and then I asked them to send me fotos of what they bought.
          >
          > Hope this helps...
          >
          > marko
          >
          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@p...> wrote:
          > > One of my Slovak cousins (we've been corresponding for 2+ years) is
          > getting
          > > married in 3 weeks, and I'd love to send her a gift. She and her
          > husband
          > > are not setting up their own household yet, they're moving in with
          > a parent
          > > who can no longer live alone (due to age/health).
          > >
          > > Are there any gifts that are traditional for a modern young
          > > couple? conversely, anything I should avoid giving that I might
          > not
          > > realize is an inappropriate gift (on the order of not giving dried
          > flowers
          > > to your host/ess). I'm really not sure what they want or need; I
          > was
          > > thinking along the lines of a nice set of towels (aren't I
          > imaginative?)
          > > which would be easy to ship 'cause they're not breakable; but I
          > wanted to
          > > sound you knowledgeable folks out first.
          > >
          > > BTW, her wedding invitation was lovely--besides names, date and
          > location,
          > > it was just the two lines: oznamuju celemu svetu jednu prostu
          > krasnu
          > > vetu: "budeme sa brat'", which I understand to mean "they announce
          > to the
          > > whole world one simple beautiful sentence: 'we will be married' "
          > > I thought it very sweet.
          > >
          > > D'akujem za radu,
          > >
          > > Julie Michutka
          > > jmm@p...

        • Matchett
          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2003
            Marko, that's a good idea. Last summer I stayed overnight at a
            relative's apartment. They married a couple years ago. She served
            dinner on beautiful china. I recognized the pattern as one I'd seen at
            Moser's in Bratislava. She said people gave them different pieces to
            that set--just like in America. Julia Matchett

            On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 03:54 PM, slocrobear wrote:

            > Hi Julie
            >
            > When my cousin got married several years ago, I took them to the
            > crystal shop and told them to pick something very special and bought
            > it for them.
            >
            > When her sister got married, I sent money and told them to do the
            > same thing and then I asked them to send me fotos of what they bought.
            >
            > Hope this helps...
            >
            > marko
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@p...> wrote:
            >> One of my Slovak cousins (we've been corresponding for 2+ years) is
            > getting
            >> married in 3 weeks, and I'd love to send her a gift. She and her
            > husband
            >> are not setting up their own household yet, they're moving in with
            > a parent
            >> who can no longer live alone (due to age/health).
            >>
            >> Are there any gifts that are traditional for a modern young
            >> couple? conversely, anything I should avoid giving that I might
            > not
            >> realize is an inappropriate gift (on the order of not giving dried
            > flowers
            >> to your host/ess). I'm really not sure what they want or need; I
            > was
            >> thinking along the lines of a nice set of towels (aren't I
            > imaginative?)
            >> which would be easy to ship 'cause they're not breakable; but I
            > wanted to
            >> sound you knowledgeable folks out first.
            >>
            >> BTW, her wedding invitation was lovely--besides names, date and
            > location,
            >> it was just the two lines: oznamuju celemu svetu jednu prostu
            > krasnu
            >> vetu: "budeme sa brat'", which I understand to mean "they announce
            > to the
            >> whole world one simple beautiful sentence: 'we will be married' "
            >> I thought it very sweet.
            >>
            >> D'akujem za radu,
            >>
            >> Julie Michutka
            >> jmm@p...

          • Michelle A Mader
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
              Jack & Chris Gergely wrote:
              >We haven't been there since 95, but then a nice set of towels would have
              >been a very nice gift.

              My dh is from Germany and anytime we had to send a gift there my MIL
              would suggest towels. She said the quality of the towels there just
              wasn't the same as it is here.

              Michelle Maco Mader
              Cleveland, Ohio USA
              "I have never let my schooling interfere
              with my education." - Mark Twain