Re: [Slovak-World] House numbers

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 30, 2011
        Often the numbers have been changed over the years, sometimes more than once.
      But the older people remember.
      Usually the mayor's office has records.

      I think the different color indicates something a bit different - the blue or
      black is the house number; the red is the fire number (to aid in finding a house
      quickly) BECAUSE

      when people moved they took their house number along and so sometimes there is
      no rhyme or reason to the house numbers - #2 could be next to 371. Once i spent
      hours in a fairly small village looking for a surname and a house number -
      everyone kept asking me the person's nick name which i didn't know.

      This reflects my experiences in a lot of Slovak villages.

      helene

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 29 , May 1, 2011
        Hi gang. In the heart of Kosice where I watched the US play Austria last night in Steel Arena.  Before the game, they played the following trailer which brought tears to my eyes & a lump in my throat. Be sure you click full screen & have your speakers turned on.  It is simply breathtaking.  Unfortunately for us, the little secret that was once Slovakia, is now out of the bag.

        http://www.slovak-republic.org/video/

        New video about Slovakia.

        Remember, click the full screen button to lower left for full HD effect.

        btw, the US won.  More on that later.

        Chuck
        [On my way east, to the end of the world, as Slovaks call it.]

        Message 3 of 29 , May 1, 2011
          I would add that after finding the supposed house number for where my grandfather was born in a city in Slovakia, and going to visit the family there which ended up not being my family at all, that sometimes the house numbers ... perhaps especially in areas where there are lots of kopanice or rural settlements nearby... need to be carefully scrutinized. If your house number has a notation like "streda" or "kop" or some other letter other than c~ (~cislo), you may be in for a fun wild goose chase through the countryside looking for rural numbered homes. For me, it was a delightful process. Helene...remember the goose lady? I think you were with me that day! Smiles... Zuzka D.

          Message 4 of 29 , May 1, 2011
            Pavel Lorenc' father was Vincent Lorenc and Vincent was a brother to my husbands grreat grandfather Ludwig. It took me years to prove the connection, but finally have the church records for proof.
            Because Ludwig often went by Lorenz not Lorenc and Pavel children switched to Lorence in most cases, they did not believe me when I told them they were related. Richard's children were thrilled to see all I had found.

            I still am not sure how they went from Rolenc to Lorenc in the early 1800's, anyone know why that change would come about?
            Pam

            Message 5 of 29 , May 1, 2011
              Pam,

              Could it be that Rolenc was a mispelling and later corrected?

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                > In some villages, the houses have been
                > renumbered but the old numbers are

                Here is a brief overview of what's been going on concerning the two numbers on many houses in Slovakia:

                <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/housenumbersslovakia.html>

                Martin
              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                  Zuzka - do i remember that wonderful time - the tiny little cemetery hidden away
                  in the forest that had your family members in it.

                  Then how warmly your living family members greeted us and the huge feather
                  quilt I slept under.

                  One of my favorite memories is the lady we discovered with the ancient homestead
                  and the goats around her feet - she invited us in for dog's tongue - luckily not
                  from a dog but from a plant - it was black and evil looking but didn't taste
                  bad. She was a healer and knew how to use 75 plants. She had a hard life she
                  told us but healed people all along the way.

                  When we went back the next summer she was gone - so sad to see these
                  living treasures dying off - it was such a moment and I put her picture standing
                  in the barn doorway with goats and kids at her feet and her story in my book
                  "Slovakia! Traditions Old & New" .

                  When are we going adventuring again?????

                  helene

                  ________________________________

                • lkocik@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                    Hi Pam

                     I'm interested in your question about the name Rolenc becoming Lorenc[z]. I have no answer, but have the same situation in my family tree...the "R" and "L" switching places in the Rolencz name. I have to wonder if this is unique to Gbely and maybe a particular dyslexic scribe, since it happened in my family in the early 1800's too. If it was a transcription error it would have been noticed and corrected in subsequent entries I would think.   You also mention Lorenc sometimes ending in "c" and sometimes in "z". In my lineage it is most usually ended in "cz".

                     With respect;
                    Your far distant cousin; Larry

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                      Gbelani,

                      "cz" is the same sound as Slovak "c". The names can be written in Hungarian
                      such as Polacsik in Hungarian alphabet is our Polac~ik.

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                        I find both Martin and Larry's imput making me curious.
                        I will have to go back and find the dates of how the R and L and C and z and CZ changed to see how the time line on it may explain part of it. Wish I could do it today but with the first wedding almost 2 weeks away and the next daughter on its heel I am one busy mommy!
                        Will get to it soon thought so I can get everyone's input on the changes in the name. FYI my twin daughters born on my birthday are both getting married this year.

                        The first sighting I remember off the top of my head is Martin Rolenz born in Egbell 9/21/1743 to Joanne Rolenz and Maria (daughter of Michal Martinkovics, I believe him to be my Martin Rolenz married 7/12/1768 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia (Manzelstvá), 1710-1780 (Inv. c. 839) page 558 image 33 to Anna Matulka or Matulova.

                        I struggle reading some of the old records written in Slovak so I have struggled to prove that the Martin born 1743 is this Martin married 1768.
                        Children: of Martin Rolenc and Anna Matulova/Matulka 3 of which I found in records and one I think might be theirs.

                        1 M: Andreas Rolenc

                        Birth: 18 Nov 1770 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 170

                        2 F: Anna Rolenc

                        Birth: 1773 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 178 not sure of month

                        3 M: Paulus "Pavol" Lorenc Rol'nik (Rol'nik was what the Slovak record request showed)

                        This is my husband's line

                        Birth: 4 Dec 1774 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 3

                        Spouse: Barbora Kocakova

                        Marriage: 14 Nov 1797 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 31

                        4 M: Martin (no proof yet Martin is son of Martin) Rolenc

                        Spouse: Maria Medlenova (Medlen)

                        Hopefully I can get time soon to go back and look at this again. I look forward to seeing what this Slovak group thinks.

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                          > how the R and L and C and z and CZ changed

                          Those are two separate things. The variation among -c, -z, and -cz is of little concern. In Central Europe, a name was a name based on its pronunciation. The way it was spelled did not matter as much, because there were various spelling systems to use. The three endings can readily stand for the same sound [-ts].

                          In other words, it did not matter whether a name was spelled, e.g., C~uba, Csuba, Czuba, Tschuba, it was still the same name. The four spellings represented the same name in different spelling systems (in this instance, Slovak, Hungarian, Polish, German).

                          It's the r--l switch that is unclear, although not unimaginable.

                          Martin
                        • Scott Mikusko
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                            The L-R switch I've seen before in Slovak names, and I thought there was a
                            discussion about this years ago on the list. Maybe it was with Vladimir
                            Bohinc when he was researching old names that were cognates from
                            German/Hungarian names.

                            I recall seeing the Slovacized spelling of the German word/name Froelich:
                            Frolis~. Over the course of time some Frolis~ families flipped their l/r
                            order and the name Floris~ happened.

                            -S

                            On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:20 AM, votrubam <votrubam@...> wrote:

                            > > how the R and L and C and z and CZ changed
                            >
                            > Those are two separate things. The variation among -c, -z, and -cz is of
                            > little concern. In Central Europe, a name was a name based on its
                            > pronunciation. The way it was spelled did not matter as much, because there
                            > were various spelling systems to use. The three endings can readily stand
                            > for the same sound [-ts].
                            >
                            > In other words, it did not matter whether a name was spelled, e.g., C~uba,
                            > Csuba, Czuba, Tschuba, it was still the same name. The four spellings
                            > represented the same name in different spelling systems (in this instance,
                            > Slovak, Hungarian, Polish, German).
                            >
                            > It's the r--l switch that is unclear, although not unimaginable.
                            >
                            > Martin

                          • votrubam
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                              > The L-R switch I've seen before in Slovak names

                              Exactly, Scott. A useful example, too, thanks. I don't recall the discussion, but that's what occasionally happens in ordinary Slovak words as well. It involves the sequence -l---r- or the other way round, and also -l---l- or -r---r- where the sounds get switched around or the "other" sound replaces one of the two in the second pair of sequences. For instance, some Slovaks pronounce the word pilulka "pill" as pirulka.

                              Martin
                            • Pamela White
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                Vilo, that would have been Pavel Lorenc brother Ferdinand "Fred" Lorenc in Kuklov
                                so that makes his wife Pani then
                                I have very little on him other than he died after 1966 and he was a twin to his and Pavel's brother Vincent
                                Vincent had a daughter Mariska who married Latzka Carsky and had son Vradi

                                Pam

                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                  I would love to see the record-- as "Pani" is the Slovak word for "Mrs."  I
                                  think his wife would most certainly have gone by "pani..."

                                  Better that than "panic" (Slovak word).  :-)
                                  Ben

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                    Just goes to show my lack of Slovak blood but desire to know more of Slovak life.
                                    Pam

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                      Pam,

                                      Good information. Pani means Mrs. I cannot remember her name.

                                      C~arsky [Charr-skee]

                                      Mariska [Mah-rrish-kah], (Maria), is a nurse, (retired) and works in Austria,
                                      (Rakusko is the Slovak name for Austria) [Rah-kuh-skoh], caring for ill people.
                                      Usually one week on and then one week off.

                                      Lacka [Lahts-kah] is retired from the fuel Processing plant, NAFTA, the major
                                      business there.

                                      They had two sons and one died in an automobile accident. He was divorced and
                                      had two children, living in Brodske [Brohd-skeh]

                                      "Vradi", is a nickname. His name is Vratko [Vrraht-koh]. He is Married to
                                      Lucia [Loo-tsee-ah]. They have one child, a daughter named Elena [Ehleh-nah].

                                      Lackais a musician and still plays in the dychovka [dee-khohv-kah] or Brass Band
                                      in Gbely [Gbeh-lee]. Vratko is an extremely gifted musician. He played in the
                                      Dychovka but is a master with a violin. He has played professionally with a
                                      very popular Maravian Cymbalom Band in Straz~nica. In later years, he played
                                      with a Cymbalom Band, (forgot the name), in Bratislava when they made a CD, (I
                                      do have a copy).
                                      Lacka has a wine cellar , makes his own wine and slivovica.

                                      Vratko and Lucia owned a one bedroom apartment in the City of Bratislava but now
                                      live in their newly built home, located on the hill which displays a Very high
                                      TV Tower.

                                      He works in Pos~tarna Banka [Poshtarrnah Bahn-kah], Postal Bank Head Office as
                                      high ranking Manager.

                                      After university he worked for Grafobal [Grahfoh-bahl], a printing co. in
                                      Skalica and then relocated to Sofia Bulgaria where he remained until the war in
                                      Serbia, fearing bombing.
                                      Lucia is a manager in the Headquarters of VUB Bank.
                                      Vratko has visited the USA four times and speaks excellent English.

                                      Maris~ka has a brother who lives in Gbely. I have met him only once/
                                      I have been very close to the Carsky family and love them all.

                                      I do have Photographs, if you are interested.

                                      Z Bohom,

                                      Vilo

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                        Vilo, Povidzmi, co toje Mr a Mrs? First heard in 1971.

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                          What a background info and for me the phonetic helps me to read and understand Slovak better.
                                          I contacted you off group in case you no longer had my email address.
                                          I would love to see any photos you are willing to scan and share.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                            PANI-- In RUSYN, Pani is the word for "queen, special person". We call a Priest's wife Pani to honor her. maxine sasala

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                              :-) It is fun when you get immersed!
                                              However, Slovak can be a daunting language. . . especially when compared to the
                                              romance languages.
                                              Ben

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                                Pam,

                                                " He has played professionally with a very popular Maravian Cymbalom Band in
                                                Straz~nica. In later years, he played with a Cymbalom Band, (forgot the name),
                                                in Bratislava when they made a CD, (I do have a copy)."

                                                CD: Vinec~ko, Vino [Veen-ehchkoh Veenoh with the cymbal [Tseem-bahll] orchestra
                                                Adnrej Vc~elika [Ahn-drrehee Vchehlee-kah].

                                                Cymbalom:

                                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbalom

                                                Try listening to this type music on Youtube. I love it very much. The other
                                                major typeof music is Dychovka {Dee-khovv-kah}, (Brass Band.

                                                And then, (of course), there is Ben Sorenson, our Slovak, non-Slovak, (according
                                                to the gospel of St. Vlado).

                                                Z Bohom,

                                                Vilo

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                                                  Susan:

                                                  I had a different experience.

                                                  One issue I always had was how 30 people would all live in one house in a small village in Slovakia according to parish registers.

                                                  Maros Krajnak tracked down the house for us and it wasn't cabin but more of a manor house.

                                                  Plenty of room for 30 occupants.

                                                  Greg

                                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Durisek" <durisek@...> wrote:

                                                  > I would add that after finding the supposed house number for where my grandfather was born in a city in Slovakia, and going to visit the family there which ended up not being my family at all, that sometimes the house numbers ... perhaps especially in areas where there are lots of kopanice or rural settlements nearby... need to be carefully scrutinized. If your house number has a notation like "streda" or "kop" or some other letter other than c~ (~cislo), you may be in for a fun wild goose chase through the countryside looking for rural numbered homes. For me, it was a delightful process. Helene...remember the goose lady? I think you were with me that day! Smiles... Zuzka D.

                                                • Susan Durisek
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                                                    Hi Greg... Yes... When I finally found the correct location, it was a large house, U shaped with barns across from the open end... along with a couple satellite houses...like a manor you're describing. But it wasn't in the town, it was a few miles away at something I discovered was a Durisek settlement. It had the same number as a house in town, which caused initial confusion... but then I realized the abbreviation next to the number meant it was in a rural location. Where is your family's "manor" located? Mine's in the Myjava area. Z.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                                                      I crossed myself on the forehead, the mouth & then the chest when I read this.