Gbely households

  • Pamela White
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 30 5:19 PM
      In the old church records they refer to people belonging to households.
      For example, the Lorenc line I am researching is house #240
      do they still use that system today?
      If I went to Slovakia could I find that house 240?

      I have no Slovak blood but married a very americanized 1/4 slovak man and he knew nothing of his slovak history.
      I have searched for years and am now finding many things!
      Pam

    • Plichta
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 30 6:15 PM
        Pam,

        More than likely you will find the house numbers.

        In some villages, the houses have been renumbered but the old numbers are
        still on the house. The new numbers are a different color. As I recall the
        change was made because originally the numbers were issued in the date
        sequence that the houses were built, i.e., in chronically order. But
        because the villages have grown in size it was necessary to renumber the
        houses in sequence along the main streets.

        Enjoy,

        Frank Plichta

        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

        _____

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 30 7:15 PM
          Thank you for answering my curiousity!

          In the old church records they refer to people belonging to households.
          For example, the Lorenc line I am researching is house #240
          do they still use that system today?
          If I went to Slovakia could I find that house 240?

          I have no Slovak blood but married a very americanized 1/4 slovak man and he
          knew nothing of his slovak history.
          I have searched for years and am now finding many things!
          Pam

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 30 7:38 PM
            I agree with you Franta,

            My Grandmothers Birth Home, (the first in the town to have a tile roof), is
            Kuty100, Located on Bratislavska Ulica.

            Pam,

            Although the house numbers remain, it does not indicate the family still lives
            there. Pavel Lorenc's brother moved to Kuklov, where he raised his children. I
            knew his wife and visited her often as did his nephew Richard Lorenc, (from
            Johnstown, NY), now deceased.
            I did meet a son who lived in Malacky and visited his mother very often.
            The Lady was extremely proud of her "Old Fashioned Home" and kept the
            traditional brick, and tiled stove in her kitchen. Pani Loerncova was Really
            nice lady. My friends aunt, Helena Somolana, was her best friend and neighbor.
            All are now gone.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 30 7:54 PM
                Often the numbers have been changed over the years, sometimes more than once.
              But the older people remember.
              Usually the mayor's office has records.

              I think the different color indicates something a bit different - the blue or
              black is the house number; the red is the fire number (to aid in finding a house
              quickly) BECAUSE

              when people moved they took their house number along and so sometimes there is
              no rhyme or reason to the house numbers - #2 could be next to 371. Once i spent
              hours in a fairly small village looking for a surname and a house number -
              everyone kept asking me the person's nick name which i didn't know.

              This reflects my experiences in a lot of Slovak villages.

              helene

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                Hi gang. In the heart of Kosice where I watched the US play Austria last night in Steel Arena.  Before the game, they played the following trailer which brought tears to my eyes & a lump in my throat. Be sure you click full screen & have your speakers turned on.  It is simply breathtaking.  Unfortunately for us, the little secret that was once Slovakia, is now out of the bag.

                http://www.slovak-republic.org/video/

                New video about Slovakia.

                Remember, click the full screen button to lower left for full HD effect.

                btw, the US won.  More on that later.

                Chuck
                [On my way east, to the end of the world, as Slovaks call it.]

                Message 7 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                  I would add that after finding the supposed house number for where my grandfather was born in a city in Slovakia, and going to visit the family there which ended up not being my family at all, that sometimes the house numbers ... perhaps especially in areas where there are lots of kopanice or rural settlements nearby... need to be carefully scrutinized. If your house number has a notation like "streda" or "kop" or some other letter other than c~ (~cislo), you may be in for a fun wild goose chase through the countryside looking for rural numbered homes. For me, it was a delightful process. Helene...remember the goose lady? I think you were with me that day! Smiles... Zuzka D.

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                    Pavel Lorenc' father was Vincent Lorenc and Vincent was a brother to my husbands grreat grandfather Ludwig. It took me years to prove the connection, but finally have the church records for proof.
                    Because Ludwig often went by Lorenz not Lorenc and Pavel children switched to Lorence in most cases, they did not believe me when I told them they were related. Richard's children were thrilled to see all I had found.

                    I still am not sure how they went from Rolenc to Lorenc in the early 1800's, anyone know why that change would come about?
                    Pam

                    Message 9 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                      Pam,

                      Could it be that Rolenc was a mispelling and later corrected?

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                        > In some villages, the houses have been
                        > renumbered but the old numbers are

                        Here is a brief overview of what's been going on concerning the two numbers on many houses in Slovakia:

                        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/housenumbersslovakia.html>

                        Martin
                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                          Zuzka - do i remember that wonderful time - the tiny little cemetery hidden away
                          in the forest that had your family members in it.

                          Then how warmly your living family members greeted us and the huge feather
                          quilt I slept under.

                          One of my favorite memories is the lady we discovered with the ancient homestead
                          and the goats around her feet - she invited us in for dog's tongue - luckily not
                          from a dog but from a plant - it was black and evil looking but didn't taste
                          bad. She was a healer and knew how to use 75 plants. She had a hard life she
                          told us but healed people all along the way.

                          When we went back the next summer she was gone - so sad to see these
                          living treasures dying off - it was such a moment and I put her picture standing
                          in the barn doorway with goats and kids at her feet and her story in my book
                          "Slovakia! Traditions Old & New" .

                          When are we going adventuring again?????

                          helene

                          ________________________________

                        • lkocik@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                            Hi Pam

                             I'm interested in your question about the name Rolenc becoming Lorenc[z]. I have no answer, but have the same situation in my family tree...the "R" and "L" switching places in the Rolencz name. I have to wonder if this is unique to Gbely and maybe a particular dyslexic scribe, since it happened in my family in the early 1800's too. If it was a transcription error it would have been noticed and corrected in subsequent entries I would think.   You also mention Lorenc sometimes ending in "c" and sometimes in "z". In my lineage it is most usually ended in "cz".

                             With respect;
                            Your far distant cousin; Larry

                            Message 13 of 29 , May 1, 2011
                              Gbelani,

                              "cz" is the same sound as Slovak "c". The names can be written in Hungarian
                              such as Polacsik in Hungarian alphabet is our Polac~ik.

                              Z Bohom,

                              Vilo

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                I find both Martin and Larry's imput making me curious.
                                I will have to go back and find the dates of how the R and L and C and z and CZ changed to see how the time line on it may explain part of it. Wish I could do it today but with the first wedding almost 2 weeks away and the next daughter on its heel I am one busy mommy!
                                Will get to it soon thought so I can get everyone's input on the changes in the name. FYI my twin daughters born on my birthday are both getting married this year.

                                The first sighting I remember off the top of my head is Martin Rolenz born in Egbell 9/21/1743 to Joanne Rolenz and Maria (daughter of Michal Martinkovics, I believe him to be my Martin Rolenz married 7/12/1768 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia (Manzelstvá), 1710-1780 (Inv. c. 839) page 558 image 33 to Anna Matulka or Matulova.

                                I struggle reading some of the old records written in Slovak so I have struggled to prove that the Martin born 1743 is this Martin married 1768.
                                Children: of Martin Rolenc and Anna Matulova/Matulka 3 of which I found in records and one I think might be theirs.

                                1 M: Andreas Rolenc

                                Birth: 18 Nov 1770 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 170

                                2 F: Anna Rolenc

                                Birth: 1773 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 178 not sure of month

                                3 M: Paulus "Pavol" Lorenc Rol'nik (Rol'nik was what the Slovak record request showed)

                                This is my husband's line

                                Birth: 4 Dec 1774 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 3

                                Spouse: Barbora Kocakova

                                Marriage: 14 Nov 1797 Egbell, Austrian-Hungarian Empire now Gbely, Slovakia image 31

                                4 M: Martin (no proof yet Martin is son of Martin) Rolenc

                                Spouse: Maria Medlenova (Medlen)

                                Hopefully I can get time soon to go back and look at this again. I look forward to seeing what this Slovak group thinks.

                                Message 15 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                  > how the R and L and C and z and CZ changed

                                  Those are two separate things. The variation among -c, -z, and -cz is of little concern. In Central Europe, a name was a name based on its pronunciation. The way it was spelled did not matter as much, because there were various spelling systems to use. The three endings can readily stand for the same sound [-ts].

                                  In other words, it did not matter whether a name was spelled, e.g., C~uba, Csuba, Czuba, Tschuba, it was still the same name. The four spellings represented the same name in different spelling systems (in this instance, Slovak, Hungarian, Polish, German).

                                  It's the r--l switch that is unclear, although not unimaginable.

                                  Martin
                                • Scott Mikusko
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                    The L-R switch I've seen before in Slovak names, and I thought there was a
                                    discussion about this years ago on the list. Maybe it was with Vladimir
                                    Bohinc when he was researching old names that were cognates from
                                    German/Hungarian names.

                                    I recall seeing the Slovacized spelling of the German word/name Froelich:
                                    Frolis~. Over the course of time some Frolis~ families flipped their l/r
                                    order and the name Floris~ happened.

                                    -S

                                    On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:20 AM, votrubam <votrubam@...> wrote:

                                    > > how the R and L and C and z and CZ changed
                                    >
                                    > Those are two separate things. The variation among -c, -z, and -cz is of
                                    > little concern. In Central Europe, a name was a name based on its
                                    > pronunciation. The way it was spelled did not matter as much, because there
                                    > were various spelling systems to use. The three endings can readily stand
                                    > for the same sound [-ts].
                                    >
                                    > In other words, it did not matter whether a name was spelled, e.g., C~uba,
                                    > Csuba, Czuba, Tschuba, it was still the same name. The four spellings
                                    > represented the same name in different spelling systems (in this instance,
                                    > Slovak, Hungarian, Polish, German).
                                    >
                                    > It's the r--l switch that is unclear, although not unimaginable.
                                    >
                                    > Martin

                                  • votrubam
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                      > The L-R switch I've seen before in Slovak names

                                      Exactly, Scott. A useful example, too, thanks. I don't recall the discussion, but that's what occasionally happens in ordinary Slovak words as well. It involves the sequence -l---r- or the other way round, and also -l---l- or -r---r- where the sounds get switched around or the "other" sound replaces one of the two in the second pair of sequences. For instance, some Slovaks pronounce the word pilulka "pill" as pirulka.

                                      Martin
                                    • Pamela White
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                        Vilo, that would have been Pavel Lorenc brother Ferdinand "Fred" Lorenc in Kuklov
                                        so that makes his wife Pani then
                                        I have very little on him other than he died after 1966 and he was a twin to his and Pavel's brother Vincent
                                        Vincent had a daughter Mariska who married Latzka Carsky and had son Vradi

                                        Pam

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                          I would love to see the record-- as "Pani" is the Slovak word for "Mrs."  I
                                          think his wife would most certainly have gone by "pani..."

                                          Better that than "panic" (Slovak word).  :-)
                                          Ben

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                            Just goes to show my lack of Slovak blood but desire to know more of Slovak life.
                                            Pam

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                              Pam,

                                              Good information. Pani means Mrs. I cannot remember her name.

                                              C~arsky [Charr-skee]

                                              Mariska [Mah-rrish-kah], (Maria), is a nurse, (retired) and works in Austria,
                                              (Rakusko is the Slovak name for Austria) [Rah-kuh-skoh], caring for ill people.
                                              Usually one week on and then one week off.

                                              Lacka [Lahts-kah] is retired from the fuel Processing plant, NAFTA, the major
                                              business there.

                                              They had two sons and one died in an automobile accident. He was divorced and
                                              had two children, living in Brodske [Brohd-skeh]

                                              "Vradi", is a nickname. His name is Vratko [Vrraht-koh]. He is Married to
                                              Lucia [Loo-tsee-ah]. They have one child, a daughter named Elena [Ehleh-nah].

                                              Lackais a musician and still plays in the dychovka [dee-khohv-kah] or Brass Band
                                              in Gbely [Gbeh-lee]. Vratko is an extremely gifted musician. He played in the
                                              Dychovka but is a master with a violin. He has played professionally with a
                                              very popular Maravian Cymbalom Band in Straz~nica. In later years, he played
                                              with a Cymbalom Band, (forgot the name), in Bratislava when they made a CD, (I
                                              do have a copy).
                                              Lacka has a wine cellar , makes his own wine and slivovica.

                                              Vratko and Lucia owned a one bedroom apartment in the City of Bratislava but now
                                              live in their newly built home, located on the hill which displays a Very high
                                              TV Tower.

                                              He works in Pos~tarna Banka [Poshtarrnah Bahn-kah], Postal Bank Head Office as
                                              high ranking Manager.

                                              After university he worked for Grafobal [Grahfoh-bahl], a printing co. in
                                              Skalica and then relocated to Sofia Bulgaria where he remained until the war in
                                              Serbia, fearing bombing.
                                              Lucia is a manager in the Headquarters of VUB Bank.
                                              Vratko has visited the USA four times and speaks excellent English.

                                              Maris~ka has a brother who lives in Gbely. I have met him only once/
                                              I have been very close to the Carsky family and love them all.

                                              I do have Photographs, if you are interested.

                                              Z Bohom,

                                              Vilo

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 2, 2011
                                                Vilo, Povidzmi, co toje Mr a Mrs? First heard in 1971.

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                                  What a background info and for me the phonetic helps me to read and understand Slovak better.
                                                  I contacted you off group in case you no longer had my email address.
                                                  I would love to see any photos you are willing to scan and share.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                                    PANI-- In RUSYN, Pani is the word for "queen, special person". We call a Priest's wife Pani to honor her. maxine sasala

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                                      :-) It is fun when you get immersed!
                                                      However, Slovak can be a daunting language. . . especially when compared to the
                                                      romance languages.
                                                      Ben

                                                      ________________________________

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 3, 2011
                                                        Pam,

                                                        " He has played professionally with a very popular Maravian Cymbalom Band in
                                                        Straz~nica. In later years, he played with a Cymbalom Band, (forgot the name),
                                                        in Bratislava when they made a CD, (I do have a copy)."

                                                        CD: Vinec~ko, Vino [Veen-ehchkoh Veenoh with the cymbal [Tseem-bahll] orchestra
                                                        Adnrej Vc~elika [Ahn-drrehee Vchehlee-kah].

                                                        Cymbalom:

                                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbalom

                                                        Try listening to this type music on Youtube. I love it very much. The other
                                                        major typeof music is Dychovka {Dee-khovv-kah}, (Brass Band.

                                                        And then, (of course), there is Ben Sorenson, our Slovak, non-Slovak, (according
                                                        to the gospel of St. Vlado).

                                                        Z Bohom,

                                                        Vilo

                                                        ________________________________

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                                                          Susan:

                                                          I had a different experience.

                                                          One issue I always had was how 30 people would all live in one house in a small village in Slovakia according to parish registers.

                                                          Maros Krajnak tracked down the house for us and it wasn't cabin but more of a manor house.

                                                          Plenty of room for 30 occupants.

                                                          Greg

                                                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Durisek" <durisek@...> wrote:

                                                          > I would add that after finding the supposed house number for where my grandfather was born in a city in Slovakia, and going to visit the family there which ended up not being my family at all, that sometimes the house numbers ... perhaps especially in areas where there are lots of kopanice or rural settlements nearby... need to be carefully scrutinized. If your house number has a notation like "streda" or "kop" or some other letter other than c~ (~cislo), you may be in for a fun wild goose chase through the countryside looking for rural numbered homes. For me, it was a delightful process. Helene...remember the goose lady? I think you were with me that day! Smiles... Zuzka D.

                                                        • Susan Durisek
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                                                            Hi Greg... Yes... When I finally found the correct location, it was a large house, U shaped with barns across from the open end... along with a couple satellite houses...like a manor you're describing. But it wasn't in the town, it was a few miles away at something I discovered was a Durisek settlement. It had the same number as a house in town, which caused initial confusion... but then I realized the abbreviation next to the number meant it was in a rural location. Where is your family's "manor" located? Mine's in the Myjava area. Z.

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , May 5, 2011
                                                              I crossed myself on the forehead, the mouth & then the chest when I read this.