Name changes vs. spelling errors

  • BJLK@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 30, 2011
      The correct spelling of names is an ongoing problem. I am constantly
      amazed and irritated by the many variations I see of my own name on the
      never-ending flow of junk mail that I receive every day.

      I have been looking for years for some information about my maternal
      grandfather, Adam Michalic (nickname S~kuta), who came to the U.S. sometime
      after 1918 from Orava. I have no information about his port of entry or the
      exact date of his emigration--just his tombstone proving that he is here for
      eternity. After spending many hours poring over hundreds of thousands of
      records and looking at many different possible spelling versions, I have just
      about given up ever finding anything more about him. I know it's a long
      shot--but if anyone happens to come across anything that would help while
      conducting their own searches, I would appreciate hearing from you.

      B. J.
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 30, 2011
        My Dear Mr. B. J.,

        You are off by a number of years, at least 19. I found your Grampa. The
        manifest lists his middle name, "Skuta".

        The town of origin is unclear but my research indicates there are people with
        his name in Parnica, Orava.

        I could not send the info , (jpg) here so CHECK YOUR EMAIL.

        Happy May 1st!

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 30, 2011
          > The correct spelling of names is an ongoing problem.

          Not only of names, B.J. Consider merely the spelling of:

          > Castel Garden was [...]

          And:

          > Researching Slovak records... passanger [...]

          ... in the current SK-W thread about spelling errors or their absence in the past few hours. Claiming that the ship manifests contain deliberately changed names, not spelling errors, sounds sweet, but...

          We all make spelling errors (see above) and the ship records, as Vilo said rightly, are full of them. The spelling standards of Slovak, German, English, Hungarian were quite clear-cut by the time most of the Slovaks immigrated (it's not at all true that "spelling was never an exact science in those days"), the variations in the ship manifests that do not conform to those rules are errors (just like _Castel_ and _passanger_ are errors today), not results of people "not caring."

          People cared then like they do today, especially about the spelling of their own names, but others did and do get them wrong from time to time nevertheless. An example:

          Kos~ice (correct Slovak); Kaschau (correct German); Kassa (correct Hungarian); Cassovia (correct Latin); but: Kosici, Kashau, Kasza, etc., etc., as you also find the city spelled in the ship manifests, are all spelling errors (or ERRORS as Frank typed it).

          Martin
        • BJLK@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1, 2011
            Martin, you are so right! Names are just one example of spelling
            difficulties. No one is a perfect speller 100% of the time. My original point was
            that this is an ongoing problem that will probably never be resolved.

            B. J.

            _____________________________
            B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (http://BJLK@.../) )

            In a message dated 4/30/2011 7:31:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            votrubam@... writes:

            Not only of names, B.J. . . . We all make spelling errors (see above) and
            the ship records, as Vilo said rightly, are full of them . . .

            Message 5 of 21 , May 1, 2011
              Vilko:

              What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak & grandmother, Ana Censak arrived?  They arrived Ellis Island.

              Chuck
              From Kosice

              Message 6 of 21 , May 1, 2011
                Forward ages.

                ________________________________
                What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &
                grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

                Chuck
                From Kosice

                Message 7 of 21 , May 1, 2011
                  Found 5 Jozef's Origin Parno. No luck for Censak. do you have her Town of
                  origin or original Pronunciation?

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilko

                  ________________________________
                  What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &
                  grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

                  Chuck
                  From Kosice

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                    Jozef was born 17 Oct 1892.  Apparently had a younger brother [I had thought he was an only child] born a year later, Jan 17 Dec 1893.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Parents were:
                    Jozef Popagyak born 1871 in Parchovany as well.   And mother Maria Komar.
                    Christened 2 Aug 1871, married 29 Aug 1892 to Maria Richreszt.
                    Her parents are listed as  Jan Richreszt & Zuzana Magyar.
                    I was wondering if you could locate any manifest or transit information.
                    btw, I have acquired an unemployed English student from Hungary, I think.  We are to meet tomorrow AM for a trip to Parchovany.  I am not sure what we w/ do or find, but plan to start @ the city hall & take it from there.
                    Any suggested Dos & Don'ts would be most appreciated from the group.  Particularly if family can be located.
                    Gratefully,Chuck
                    PS I never would have made it thus far without the assistance & support of this group.  Thank you all.
                    Remarried Anna Madar in 1923.
                     Anna Madar
                    From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                      1910 to Lisbon Falls Maine??

                      ________________________________

                      What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &

                      grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

                      Chuck

                      From Kosice

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                        Chuck,
                        Jozef Popagyak, b. 1892, last residence Parchovany, emmigrated on 5 May 1910, age 17, aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria from Hamburg to New York. Record is found among the Hamburg records. I can send an electronic image of ship manifest to any e-mail address you want.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

                        > Jozef was born 17 Oct 1892.  Apparently had a younger brother [I had thought he was an only child] born a year later, Jan 17 Dec 1893.
                        > Hope this helps.
                        > Parents were:
                        > Jozef Popagyak born 1871 in Parchovany as well.   And mother Maria Komar.
                        > Christened 2 Aug 1871, married 29 Aug 1892 to Maria Richreszt.
                        > Her parents are listed as  Jan Richreszt & Zuzana Magyar.
                        > I was wondering if you could locate any manifest or transit information.
                        > btw, I have acquired an unemployed English student from Hungary, I think.  We are to meet tomorrow AM for a trip to Parchovany.  I am not sure what we w/ do or find, but plan to start @ the city hall & take it from there.
                        > Any suggested Dos & Don'ts would be most appreciated from the group.  Particularly if family can be located.
                        > Gratefully,Chuck
                        > PS I never would have made it thus far without the assistance & support of this group.  Thank you all.
                        > Remarried Anna Madar in 1923.
                        >  Anna Madar

                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                          Chuck,

                          (You got it Kurt!)

                          Jozef came with a man, 18, from Parchovany, Jan Kuric~ka. They both went to
                          Maine. Jzef, Lisbon Falls and Ja, Madison.

                          I finally got the "art work" done on the manifest, for you.

                          Z Bohom, you both,

                          Vilko

                          ________________________________
                          Jozef Popagyak, b. 1892, last residence Parchovany, emmigrated on 5 May 1910,
                          age 17, aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria from Hamburg to New York. Record
                          is found among the Hamburg records. I can send an electronic image of ship
                          manifest to any e-mail address you want.

                          Curt B.

                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

                          > Jozef was born 17 Oct 1892. Â Apparently had a younger brother [I had thought
                          >he was an only child] born a year later, Jan 17 Dec 1893.
                          > Hope this helps.
                          > Parents were:Â
                          > Jozef Popagyak born 1871 in Parchovany as well. Â And mother Maria Komar.
                          > Christened 2 Aug 1871, married 29 Aug 1892 to Maria Richreszt. Â
                          > Her parents are listed as  Jan Richreszt & Zuzana Magyar.
                          > I was wondering if you could locate any manifest or transit information.
                          > btw, I have acquired an unemployed English student from Hungary, I think. Â We
                          >are to meet tomorrow AM for a trip to Parchovany. Â I am not sure what we w/ do
                          >or find, but plan to start @ the city hall & take it from there.
                          > Any suggested Dos & Don'ts would be most appreciated from the group.
                          >Â Particularly if family can be located.
                          > Gratefully,Chuck
                          > PS I never would have made it thus far without the assistance & support of this
                          >group. Â Thank you all.
                          > Remarried Anna Madar in 1923.
                          > Â Anna Madar

                        • CurtB
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 3, 2011
                            Chuck & Vilo,
                            Also very interesting is that the brother Jan Popagyak, and a cousin? Andras Popagyak both from Parchovany, also immigrated aboard the Barcelona out of Hamburg, on Apr 23 1912. They are both then aged eighteen, so born about 1894. Jan is the son of Jozef Popagyak and Andras is the son of [widow?]Zusa Propagyak with whom Andras had been living in Parchovany.

                            Janos is headed to Douglas, Massachusetts, and Andras to Baysville, Ohio.

                            Vilo, you might want to make a good copy of this one too.

                            Curt B.

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                            > Chuck,
                            >
                            > (You got it Kurt!)
                            >
                            > Jozef came with a man, 18, from Parchovany, Jan Kuric~ka. They both went to
                            > Maine. Jzef, Lisbon Falls and Ja, Madison.
                            >
                            > I finally got the "art work" done on the manifest, for you.
                            >
                            > Z Bohom, you both,
                            >
                            > Vilko
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • cantina2000
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 4, 2011
                              There are so many messages in this thread that it is hard to follow, but www.findagrave.com has information on Joseph J Popadak and his wife, Anna M Cencak, including pictures of their tombstone.
                            • Susan Durisek
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 4, 2011
                                I found some Ellis Island possible folks under these spellings... probably are more, but whoever wants this could search also :
                                Papadjak, Poapdic, Popadek
                                Happy Hunting!
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 4, 2011
                                  SUper site, THANKS!

                                  Vilo

                                  ________________________________
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                    Hi everyone - A special event will bring 3 fashion designers from Slovakia to
                                    New York City. I was contacted by one designer from Trencin and saw one of her
                                    dresses - it was gorgeous - she incorporates folk motifs.

                                    The event is May 13 and if you would like more info contact 646 345-1196.

                                    Wish i could be there but can't. But I will get to meet the designer in Piestany
                                    - she is coming to my mother's 93.5 birthday party on June 22 - we may even have
                                    a mini-fashion show - everyone is invited! It's always a fun time - e mail me
                                    direct for more info - helenezx@....

                                    helene

                                  • Greg
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                      Helene:

                                      A New York fashion event can be real fun.

                                      You should go.

                                      For many years I was part of the NYC fashion scene.

                                      I even took a side trip to Baltimore to see your Baltimore Slovak showshow many years ago.

                                      It was great.

                                      Greg

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                        Some of the fashions I see here are simply amazing.
                                        They have some Slovak women here who approach 6' in height w/ about a 25" waist.  I would think that their clothing must be custom made.
                                        I am going to have  a tough time returning to the US in a few days.  I wish I could make the event in NYC.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                          I am overwhelmed.  Simply overwhelmed.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                            Curt:
                                            This address w/ work fine:  daxthewarrior@...
                                            thank you.
                                            Chuck

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                                              That is where my mother was born.  Along w/ 10 of her siblings.

                                              From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                                              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                              From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                                              From: LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...>

                                              What information do you need to find when my grandfather, Jozef Popadak &

                                              grandmother, Ana Censak arrived? They arrived Ellis Island.

                                              Chuck

                                              From Kosice

                                              From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>

                                              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com