The inferior thing

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
      > Is the quality of the sugar different because Coke
      > is substituting an inferior ingredient

      Yes. And the megacorporation is doing it in Slovakia, but not neighboring Austria, in Poland and the Czech R., but not in their neighbor Germany. The people in the four affected Central European countries have no history of preferring inferior sweeteners, or even having anything else but sugar in their food under communism and earlier, just like their Central European neighbors, and formerly fellow countrymen for centuries, in Austria and Germany have no such history.

      > If they use 'inferior' pure cane sugar

      Cane sugar in Central Europe? The report says clearly that the inferior sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.

      > She said in Slovakia and the rest of the former communist
      > countries, the recipe is changed to make it an inferior
      > product. She said her company did the same with their
      > recipes - the good stuff was sold in Austria, not in Slovakia,
      > yet the labeling was often identical.

      Thank you, Allan, it's particularly good to have independent reliable sources to confirm a pattern.

      Martin
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
        I believe that "inferior sugar", means the difference between "Cane Sugar", such
        as used to make our powdered sugar and "Beet sugar", used for normal,
        Crystalline, table sugar.

        Sweet is Sweet! The inferior refers to it's use. Crystal sugar would not make
        good frosting.

        http://www.sugarcanecrops.com/introduction/

        Central and Northern Europe, areas are to cold to grow the cane, When I first
        went to Slovakia in n1971, there were field and fields full of sugar beets,
        (repný cukor), which we called, simply "repa". We often walked to the fields
        and picked the leaves to feed the pigs, rabbits, goats, ducks, geese and
        chickens. They all feasted on the leaves.

        Although Slovakia had a product called pras~kového cukru, (powdered sugar), it
        was crystalline, finely ground.

        In those days, I did not see Coca Cola but we had Pepsi. The Pepsi tasted the
        same,( to me), as that in the USA.

        The Slovak version was Kofola, and I did not like it.

        Amen!

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
          > I believe that "inferior sugar", means the difference
          > between "Cane Sugar"

          No, it does not. The report says so explicitly. Beet sugar and cane sugar is the same thing once it is refined, extracted from the source, just like water is the same thing once its cleaned of whatever it may have come out with from two different springs.

          I said it before, Vilo:

          > The report says clearly that the inferior
          > sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.

          Oh, lest I forget -- did I say that _inferior sugar_ meant "inferior sugar" in the report, not "cane sugar"?

          BTW, just in case, the report said that it contained inferior sugar, not cane sugar.

          Martin
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
            Martin,

            Then what is inferior sweetener????

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 8, 2011
              > Then what is inferior

              <http://tinyurl.com/4xgnr7l>

              And there are dictionaries, too. That's all I'll have to say on commenting on "inferior" as if it meant "cane."

              Martin
            • allanstevo
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 9, 2011
                Martin,
                I felt like this was kind of a smart ass comment that you left, but when I clicked on that link, I was astounded. That was so darn cool what you did. I have tremendous respect for the man who crafted that internet wizardry behind that link. I can't stop smiling. Nice.
                I think I'm gonna have to click on it about three more times.
                Allan

                > > Then what is inferior
                >
                > <http://tinyurl.com/4xgnr7l>
                >
                > And there are dictionaries, too. That's all I'll have to say on commenting on "inferior" as if it meant "cane."
                >

                > Martin

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 9, 2011
                  Vilo,
                  In the food industry, anything other than natural sucrose (whether it comes from beets or cane) is called inferior sweetening. It includes things like corn syrup, turbinado sugar, molasses, Splenda, Nutrisweet, saccharin, etc.

                  Curt B.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                    Martin:

                    I am not arguing the facts.  Merely stating that US Coke is not superior to Coke produced in other countries.

                    I prefer sugar to corn sweeteners.  A personal preference.  I would not consider it superior or inferior.  Just a taste preference.  I have not tasted the Slovak product so have no opinion upon it.

                    Respectfully,
                    Chuck

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                      > US Coke is not superior to Coke produced in other countries.

                      As I said, the difference concerned only its sugar content, and as I said, the survey compared the sugar in Coke made in Slovakia to the sugar in Coke made in Austria (and other Central European countries), it did n-o-t compare the sugar in Coke made in Slovakia and in the U.S.

                      > I prefer sugar to corn sweeteners.  A personal preference.
                      > I would not consider it superior or inferior.  Just a taste
                      > preference.

                      The concept of "sugar" and "inferior sugar" has nothing to do with anyone's personal preference. You probably missed Curt's very helpful post for those who, if challenged by this complex issue, can't spare the time to look for the information on their own:

                      (In case you're interested, Chuck, I happen to know -- it was not part of that survey -- that the sugar composition of Slovak Coke and U.S. Coke is identical, but this tidbit may escalate the level of follow-up pother to something I won't be able to address.)

                      This is my last post on this.

                      Martin
                    • CurtB
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                        Chuck,
                        A big surprise for you. Look at the content labels. American bottled coke is sweetened with corn syrup. This has been the case for many years now. If you want Coke sweetened with plain sugar (sucrose), the only available is imported from Mexico in old fashioned glass bottles. You will find it in Mexican markets in American cities. Most people born in Mexico think American Coke tastes really "inferior". This is (probably) my last post on this as well.

                        Curt B.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                          Martin:

                          Please forgive.  I read my emails in a reverse order.  Most recent first.

                          It probably causes more confusion to others than it is worth to me.

                          Much I skip; but not SW posts since they are so beneficial.

                          Immeasurable respectful deference to you & many others here,
                          Chuck

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 11, 2011
                            I posted as such some time back.

                            I think we all agree.  Dr. Votrubam is correct that I overlooked inferior sweeteners vs inferior taste or inferior products.

                            A big surprise for you. Look at the content labels. American bottled coke is sweetened with corn syrup. This has been the case for many years now. If you want Coke sweetened with plain sugar (sucrose), the only available is imported from Mexico in old fashioned glass bottles. You will find it in Mexican markets in American cities. Most people born in Mexico think American Coke tastes really "inferior". This is (probably) my last post on this as well.

                            Curt B.

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

                            > Martin:

                            > I am not arguing the facts.  Merely stating that US Coke is not superior to Coke produced in other countries.

                            > I prefer sugar to corn sweeteners.  A personal preference.  I would not consider it superior or inferior.  Just a taste preference.  I have not tasted the Slovak product so have no opinion upon it.

                            > Respectfully,

                            > Chuck

                            > --- On Fri, 4/8/11, votrubam <votrubam@...> wrote:

                            > From: votrubam <votrubam@...>

                            > Subject: [Slovak-World] The inferior thing

                            > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                            > Date: Friday, April 8, 2011, 6:07 PM

                            > > Is the quality of the sugar different because Coke

                            > > is substituting an inferior ingredient

                            > Yes. And the megacorporation is doing it in Slovakia, but not neighboring Austria, in Poland and the Czech R., but not in their neighbor Germany. The people in the four affected Central European countries have no history of preferring inferior sweeteners, or even having anything else but sugar in their food under communism and earlier, just like their Central European neighbors, and formerly fellow countrymen for centuries, in Austria and Germany have no such history.

                            > > If they use 'inferior' pure cane sugar

                            > Cane sugar in Central Europe? The report says clearly that the inferior sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.

                            > > She said in Slovakia and the rest of the former communist

                            > > countries, the recipe is changed to make it an inferior

                            > > product. She said her company did the same with their

                            > > recipes - the good stuff was sold in Austria, not in Slovakia,

                            > > yet the labeling was often identical.

                            > Thank you, Allan, it's particularly good to have independent reliable sources to confirm a pattern.

                            > Martin

                          • allanstevo
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                              Martin,
                              A perceptive traveler mentioned to me this week that Coke in Denmark not only tastes differently from Coke in Slovakia, but it also can't be left uncapped while you are sitting and drinking at a restaurant or cafe because it will be entirely flat before you even finish the bottle.
                              Allan

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                Martin:

                                I cannot understand why Coca-Cola, a company that prizes its trademarks & reputation as much as Disney does, allow its reputation to be tarnished.  There must be a reason.

                                I suppose most answers w/b subjective, but it doesn't make sense.  Does anyone know if Pepsi uses the same 'inferior sweetener?

                                Kasci

                                A perceptive traveler mentioned to me this week that Coke in Denmark not only tastes differently from Coke in Slovakia, but it also can't be left uncapped while you are sitting and drinking at a restaurant or cafe because it will be entirely flat before you even finish the bottle.
                                Allan

                                > > Is the quality of the sugar different because Coke
                                > > is substituting an inferior ingredient
                                >
                                > Yes. And the megacorporation is doing it in Slovakia, but not neighboring Austria, in Poland and the Czech R., but not in their neighbor Germany. The people in the four affected Central European countries have no history of preferring inferior sweeteners, or even having anything else but sugar in their food under communism and earlier, just like their Central European neighbors, and formerly fellow countrymen for centuries, in Austria and Germany have no such history.
                                >
                                > > If they use 'inferior' pure cane sugar
                                >
                                > Cane sugar in Central Europe? The report says clearly that the inferior sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.
                                >

                                > > She said in Slovakia and the rest of the former communist
                                > > countries, the recipe is changed to make it an inferior
                                > > product. She said her company did the same with their
                                > > recipes - the good stuff was sold in Austria, not in Slovakia,
                                > > yet the labeling was often identical.
                                >
                                > Thank you, Allan, it's particularly good to have independent reliable sources to confirm a pattern.
                                >

                                > Martin

                              • Plichta
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                  We have been down this road recently.

                                  See the history of Sugar at the attached link:
                                  http://books.google.com/books?id=rWMA69j8tJcC
                                  <http://books.google.com/books?id=rWMA69j8tJcC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=%22inferior
                                  +sugar%22&source=bl&ots=0IoBcFqZu9&sig=UNPHqTbBdYouln6Li368Vu67XP8&hl=en&ei=
                                  TjbFTYHyC9PqgQeCleXLBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCYQ6AEwA
                                  g#v=onepage&q&f=false>
                                  &pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=%22inferior+sugar%22&source=bl&ots=0IoBcFqZu9&sig=UNPHqTb
                                  BdYouln6Li368Vu67XP8&hl=en&ei=TjbFTYHyC9PqgQeCleXLBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=
                                  result&resnum=3&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

                                  It is not that the sugar is "inferior" or a "lesser quality" or "less
                                  sweet". It just means that it is not "cane sugar" but rather a different
                                  source of sugar such as 'beet sugar."

                                  We should not assume we understand what a "term" means without checking
                                  sources to comprehend the true meaning.

                                  Coca-Cola does formulate their products to meet the different "palates" and
                                  "tastes" of peoples around the world. In their Corporate Headquarters in
                                  Atlanta, Georgia, they have a tasting room where you can taste the same
                                  product as it is formulated in the USA as compared to more than 20 locations
                                  around the world. Some are less sweet than others because that is how the
                                  people in that part of the world prefer their drinks. If you are from
                                  "here" and not "there" you may not enjoy "their" product as much as you
                                  would enjoy "yours".

                                  Frank

                                  "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                                  _____

                                  From: allanstevo <allanstevo@... <mailto:allanstevo%40yahoo.com> >
                                  To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  Date: Friday, May 6, 2011, 9:57 AM

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  , "votrubam" <votrubam@...> wrote:

                                  > > Is the quality of the sugar different because Coke
                                  > > is substituting an inferior ingredient
                                  >
                                  > Yes. And the megacorporation is doing it in Slovakia, but not neighboring
                                  Austria, in Poland and the Czech R., but not in their neighbor Germany. The
                                  people in the four affected Central European countries have no history of
                                  preferring inferior sweeteners, or even having anything else but sugar in
                                  their food under communism and earlier, just like their Central European
                                  neighbors, and formerly fellow countrymen for centuries, in Austria and
                                  Germany have no such history.

                                  > > If they use 'inferior' pure cane sugar
                                  >
                                  > Cane sugar in Central Europe? The report says clearly that the inferior
                                  sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.

                                  > > She said in Slovakia and the rest of the former communist
                                  > > countries, the recipe is changed to make it an inferior
                                  > > product. She said her company did the same with their
                                  > > recipes - the good stuff was sold in Austria, not in Slovakia,
                                  > > yet the labeling was often identical.
                                  >
                                  > Thank you, Allan, it's particularly good to have independent reliable
                                  sources to confirm a pattern.

                                  > Martin

                                • Plichta
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                    Excuse me for not mentioning the second meaning of "inferior" in my previous
                                    message on this subject.

                                    According to Funk & Wagnalls Standard College Dictionary: "inferior"
                                    meaning #2 means "lower in rank or importance". Comparing "beet sugar" with
                                    "cane sugar": "Beet" is of less importance than "cane" at least according to
                                    the standards of the Sugar Industry.

                                    Frank

                                    _____

                                    From: allanstevo <allanstevo@... <mailto:allanstevo%40yahoo.com> >
                                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    Date: Friday, May 6, 2011, 9:57 AM

                                    , "votrubam" <votrubam@...> wrote:

                                    > > Is the quality of the sugar different because Coke
                                    > > is substituting an inferior ingredient
                                    >
                                    > Yes. And the megacorporation is doing it in Slovakia, but not neighboring
                                    Austria, in Poland and the Czech R., but not in their neighbor Germany. The
                                    people in the four affected Central European countries have no history of
                                    preferring inferior sweeteners, or even having anything else but sugar in
                                    their food under communism and earlier, just like their Central European
                                    neighbors, and formerly fellow countrymen for centuries, in Austria and
                                    Germany have no such history.

                                    > > If they use 'inferior' pure cane sugar
                                    >
                                    > Cane sugar in Central Europe? The report says clearly that the inferior
                                    sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.

                                    > > She said in Slovakia and the rest of the former communist
                                    > > countries, the recipe is changed to make it an inferior
                                    > > product. She said her company did the same with their
                                    > > recipes - the good stuff was sold in Austria, not in Slovakia,
                                    > > yet the labeling was often identical.
                                    >
                                    > Thank you, Allan, it's particularly good to have independent reliable
                                    sources to confirm a pattern.

                                    > Martin

                                  • Lubos Brieda
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                      I wouldn't call this tarnishing of reputation. Companies formulate their
                                      products differently based on the local tastes and preferences. For instance, I
                                      think that American Coca Cola is quite disgusting. It tastes much better in
                                      Europe. Not sure why, I think it's less sweet and more bubbly... But I remember
                                      drinking Coke in Europe and thinking, wow this is totally not the same thing as
                                      Coke "back home".
                                      -- Lubos Brieda --

                                      Scientific computing: www.particleincell.com
                                      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

                                      ________________________________

                                      A perceptive traveler mentioned to me this week that Coke in Denmark not only
                                      tastes differently from Coke in Slovakia, but it also can't be left uncapped
                                      while you are sitting and drinking at a restaurant or cafe because it will be
                                      entirely flat before you even finish the bottle.

                                      Allan

                                      > > Is the quality of the sugar different because Coke
                                      > > is substituting an inferior ingredient
                                      >
                                      > Yes. And the megacorporation is doing it in Slovakia, but not neighboring
                                      >Austria, in Poland and the Czech R., but not in their neighbor Germany. The
                                      >people in the four affected Central European countries have no history of
                                      >preferring inferior sweeteners, or even having anything else but sugar in their
                                      >food under communism and earlier, just like their Central European neighbors,
                                      >and formerly fellow countrymen for centuries, in Austria and Germany have no
                                      >such history.
                                      >

                                      > > If they use 'inferior' pure cane sugar
                                      >
                                      > Cane sugar in Central Europe? The report says clearly that the inferior
                                      >sweetener Coke uses there is not cane sugar.
                                      >

                                      > > She said in Slovakia and the rest of the former communist
                                      > > countries, the recipe is changed to make it an inferior
                                      > > product. She said her company did the same with their
                                      > > recipes - the good stuff was sold in Austria, not in Slovakia,
                                      > > yet the labeling was often identical.
                                      >
                                      > Thank you, Allan, it's particularly good to have independent reliable sources
                                      >to confirm a pattern.
                                      >

                                      > Martin

                                    • William C. Wormuth
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                        I am doing a collection of Maps, Photos, and information for my family in the
                                        area of Hlohovec,(Fras~tak), Sulekovo, (Beregseg), Cervenik,
                                        (C~ervenik),Leopoldov, (Mestec~ko) and Bojnicky Bajmoc~ko).

                                        I happend upon the site containing Fotos by a man named Szombot, a Slovak living
                                        in Praha.

                                        The collection contains mostly Hlohovec area but also some Czech they are super
                                        and for anyone interested in the Hlohovec area. ENJOY !

                                        Z Bohom,

                                        Vilo

                                        P.S.My Idol and Grampa, Michal Franko turned 127 today, ( May 7).

                                      • Julie Michutka
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 7, 2011
                                          On May 7, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Lubos Brieda wrote:

                                          > I wouldn't call this tarnishing of reputation. Companies formulate
                                          > their
                                          > products differently based on the local tastes and preferences. For
                                          > instance, I
                                          > think that American Coca Cola is quite disgusting. It tastes much
                                          > better in
                                          > Europe. Not sure why, I think it's less sweet and more bubbly... But
                                          > I remember
                                          > drinking Coke in Europe and thinking, wow this is totally not the
                                          > same thing as
                                          > Coke "back home"

                                          Coke used to taste differently from bottling plant to bottling plant
                                          (30 years ago). I used to live on one side of Michigan, my parents on
                                          the other side. I loved Coke purchased where my husband and I were
                                          living, but couldn't stand it when I bought it from stores in my
                                          hometown.

                                          That said, it's also my understanding that companies tweak their
                                          recipes for other markets, as you point out.

                                          (I also prefer a good cold Coke in a can vs glass or plastic. The
                                          container material seems to affect how it chills and how much acidic
                                          "bite" and carbonation it retains. The absolute best is Coke in a can
                                          juuuust above the point of crystallizing/freezing.)

                                          Julie Michutka
                                          jmm@...
                                        • votrubam
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 8, 2011
                                            > a company that prizes its trademarks & reputation as
                                            > much as Disney does, allow its reputation to be tarnished.
                                            > There must be a reason.

                                            Profit: "inferior sugar" is cheaper.

                                            However, "tarnished" is not applicable here. Curt already explained that "inferior sugar" is a label, not an absolute measure of quality.

                                            Given that Coke the same "inferior sugar" in the US uses as it does in Slovakia, it is equally relevant to ask why the company does not use the same type of sugar in Germany, Austria. The question, and the answer, make as much sense as asking "why doesn't it...": profit, by the "regular sugar" companies with well-entrenched lobbyists.