Re: [Slovak-World] Dukla Pass

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 9:40 AM
      Chuck, I'll be there this August. I am planning to go on a two week backpacking
      trip through Slovakia and we plan to end up in Dukla. Would you like me to look
      something up for you?
      -- Lubos Brieda --

      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 1:34 PM
        Bill Tarkulich has studied the battle.

        Check out his page:

        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military__carpatho.htm

        --tim

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

        > Does this entry on Wikipedia look accurate?
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Dukla_Pass
        >
        > Does anyone know anyone in the area, even an amateur historian, who might still live there & speak any English?
        >
        > Chuck

      • Inez Giles
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4 2:10 PM
          Tim, thanks so much for sharing this link. I very much appreciate Bill
          Tarkulich's incredible research. I wish I could have heard his
          presentation live. I visited the Dukla pass yesterday as I toured the
          wooden churches. One can still feel the "hallowed" energy there. -
          Inez

          <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , LongJohn Wayne
          <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

          > Does this entry on Wikipedia look accurate?
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Dukla_Pass
          >
          > Does anyone know anyone in the area, even an amateur historian, who
          might still live there & speak any English?

          > Chuck

          _____

          No virus found in this message.
          04/04/11

        • Inez Giles
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 2:23 PM
            YESTERDAY??!? I wish! I was there last year..- Inez (who obviously
            needs to take a break.)

            From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

            _____

            No virus found in this message.
            04/04/11

            _____

            No virus found in this message.
            04/04/11

          • allanstevo
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 5 4:51 AM
              Chuck,
              What were you thinking did not look right about the Dukla article? I read through it and while I can't attest to the facts, it sounds about right. I've been through there a few dozen times now and at the museum three times. Were there some specific concerns, or were you just curious if others agreed with what was written there?
              Allan

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 5 10:11 AM
                Allan:

                Nothing looks out of order.  But I have never been there.  Wikipedia is a good starting point, but the contributors are not authorities.  And often times erroneous information makes its way in.

                Just asking for the veracity of some of the members here.

                Thank you.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 6 8:28 AM
                  Thanks, Tim & Inez!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 8 9:54 AM
                    Chuck,
                    In that case, if you find yourself in Eastern Slovakia, I'd like to recommend Dukla, especially if you enjoy taking photos. The tanks look especially neat early and late in the day. Other than the tanks, there's not a lot to see about WWII that can't be learned from a history book. This week, I've got an article on 52 Weeks in Slovakia that talks about WWII and the First Slovak State, and has a small paragraph about Dukla, with a photo, and a link to an interesting liberation story that I picked up from a librarian in Kezmarok. http://www.52insk.com/2011/first-slovak-state/ Both would probably be interesting to you if you are a WWII buff. Wishing you well.

                    Allan

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 8 11:32 AM
                      Allan:

                      Thank you again.  Most helpful.