Re: [Slovak-World] Dukla Pass

  • Gergely
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
      BTW, Rich Custer's family is from very close to where the battle was. I've asked him about if he knows much about it several times. But, he's more interested in wooden churches that battle sites.
      Also, there is a great museum dedicated to the battle in Svidnik.
      No English when we were there, but I wonder if things have changed. Might try locating it on the web. If I have time later, I'll look for its' information. Trying to paint a car today.
      Jack

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9 12:41 PM

      • John Yowpa III
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9 7:43 PM
          Sounds great Cathie! I will definitely put on my list of things to see. Due
          east of my ultimate goal....eventually :) (maly lipnik)

          --
          John Yowpa III, MD

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2013
            Thank you SO MUCH for this post, Cathie!

            Subject: [Slovak-World] Dukla Pass
            To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Friday, August 9, 2013, 3:41 PM

            I am in Slovensko for vacation. Today, my cousin
            and I drove to Dukla Pass from Spisska Nova Ves. It took
            2.5 hours. It is not close to anything, well, maybe an hour
            or so from Presov can be considered
            close.<br/><br/>If you are ever in the area,
            this should be on your must see list. The monument is
            beautiful. It is at the site of the graves of at least 800
            soldiers from all countries involved in the battle.
            observatory/museum. It was only 1 Euro to go to the deck 8
            stories up. What a view. If you used your imagination, you
            can just see the battles going on. There are plenty of
            artifacts to see, including tanks, weaponry and
            miscellaneous items. Along the way there, you see old tanks
            and Howitzer-style cannons in the
            fields.<br/><br/>The monument and tower are just
            a few meters from Poland, like 30 meters, so we did. Now I
            can say I was in Poland! I also have the pictures to prove

            it.<br/><br/>The trip back included a stop in
            Vysny Komarnik just south of Dukla at an old Rusyn wooden
            church. I've never seen one. I only took pictures from
            the road.<br/><br/>We stopped at Svitnik for
            another war memorial. The plaques were written in Czech and
            Russian.<br/><br/> I highly recommend a trip to
            Dukla with stops along the way.<br/><br/>Cathie
            Mail for iPad

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2013
              The Dukla Operation is also covered as part of the exhibition in Banska Bystrica in the "Museum of Slovak National Uprising". I stopped in there to see how the display might have changed in 10 years, and it covers more of the international participation, including the western allies.

              Do ask for the English language Exposition Guide when you go in, however. It adds a lot that would be missed otherwise. They also have many monitors with different part of the stories with videos in various languages, including English.

              To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>