Re: [Slovak-World] Letter from Presov Archives

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 3:05 PM
      Peggy:

      Thank you for the post.  While I cannot help you w/ Slovak to English translation, it is funny that you posted this today.  I finally opened my receipt from the Kosice archives re: my Grandfather's birth.  It appears he had a younger brother.  I had always thought that he was an only child.  It is possible that he died young, and the American descendants of his family never knew about Jan.

      Good luck in your search.

      It seems I have reached a dead-end in my search, since my Slovak is very limited & I have not yet found anyone that far east who speaks much English to help me translate w/ the local parish priest or local town officials.

      I am going to try w/ some local employees of my company who have been immensely kind.  But they have lives & work to do.

      Thank you to all on this site who have been so helpful over the years.

      Chuck

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3 7:25 PM
          I have had one adventure after another on this quest.  One of the biggest benefits is to meet folks on this website [Paul, Helene, Helen, Vilko, Martin, Ross, Russ, etc] who have been so informative, kind & generous.

          Perhaps that is the destination I was supposed to find.

          I look forward to one day attending one of the events @ Pitt.

          Folks here are amazing.

          From: mcl60@... <mcl60@...>

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 7:04 AM
            Hi Peggy! Upload the letter and we'll be glad to help.

            Joe

          • mcl60@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4 2:53 PM
              Thanks Joe. I have uploaded both files and named the folder PRESOV ARCHIVE

              I had to upload it under my YAHOO acct PhillyPeg1201. Please reply to mcl60@..., because that is my main acct. Thanks again.

              Peggy

            • Joe Armata
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4 6:31 PM
                Hi Peggy!

                The letter says:

                They found in the Greek Catholic records for Humenne a marriage record
                for Jan Paulov (Minar) and Maria Papincsak, dated Jan 27, 1868. Jan
                Paulov used two surnames, Paulov and Minar. This is confirmed by his son
                Jan's birth record Aug 23, 1869, who has Minar in his birth record, but
                Paulov-Minar in his death record.

                Their other children also mix either Minar or Paulov/Pavlov. Jan has
                Pavlov as his surname at birth July 30 1848, but his father Michal, born
                Sept 8 1807, has Minar as his surname, like all his siblings Jan (Jan 17
                1811), Maria (Nov 1, 1812), and Zuzana (Dec 29, 1816). But the surname
                Pavlov was also in use in Hazin at the time (except for Michal, the
                three children had Juraj Paulov as godfather).

                For the female branch, they found no birth record for Maria Papincsak.
                For the Greek Catholic records of Humenne, which Hazin belonged to, they
                found in the years 1848-1852 only a record for the birth of an Anna
                Papincsak. They can't say whether that's a mistake for Maria, or a sibling.

                This is as far as the research can go.

                Joe