Circ

  • Helen Ruatti
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
      Hi Susan,

      My maternal family is from the town of Circ.

      The family names are:
      Gajdos
      Jopko
      Kovalak
      Oszlik.

      There were six Jopko brothers who came to this country around 1900. I managed to
      track them all down. They all settled in Western Pennsylvania and then some of
      them migrated to Ohio. The Jopko name was only kept by one of the brothers, the
      rest became Yapko, Yepko and Yopko.

      Any connection?

      Helen Gagyo Ruatti

    • Sue
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2011
        Helen, none of the names you mention are familiar to me. My father's father was John (Jan?) Sima and he married Anna Zsuravcik. They lived in Erie, PA, and had seven children. My grandfather passed away in 1966 or so and my grandmother before I was born, so I did not get much opportunity to get to know them.

        My maternal family is from Jakubany.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
          On a side topic, one of my cousins recently sent this Rusyn song by Roland of Circ...

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK5b92CnrMQ
          a cija to chyza by Rolland

          Commentary I am sure she copied from somewhere...
          "my favourite rusyn folk song (as performed by Rolland of Circ, Slovakia) with a display of random photos taken all around Europe"
        • e.gernat@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
            One of the members of the Rolland Group is Ed's cousin. They gave us a Cd once when we were in Circ

            Edie Gernat

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                 I really enjoyed that Rolland Group Musical url,especially the TV scenes of
              the countryside.  When I visited Circ in 2001, Ed Gernat's Cousin took me up the
              hill to the  source of Holy Spring water.  The view of the countryside was
              Breathtaking.
                  Fred Kovalyak

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                Hi Helen--

                I am on my way to Circ this summer! I have made some amazing discoveries since I last spoke to you, culminating with the discovery of my grandmother's sister -in-law, who is still alive and will celebrate her 98th birthday in Circ in June. So away I go! I have the language tapes and a taste for adventure. Any suggestions?

                Susan Povich (really Popovics) Del Conte

              • ahoodlumof85
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                  Sue (Snoflake),

                  My father's mother was born in Circ, and the Sima surname figures into our family tree in Circ. My great grandmother was Anna Totura, whose mother was Maria Sima (1843). MAria's parents were Michael Sima and Anna Zoslyaren. Perhaps our lines cross somewhere!

                  Susan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2011
                    Where exactly is that hill?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4, 2011
                       As I recall it was near the beginning of the small village of CIRC.
                      The road leading up to the top was full of large potholes. At the top(above
                      Circ) there was a small church and several small places for the Priests to hear
                      confessions.   Someone had put in a pipe ..from the spring ...to allow pilgrims
                      to get bottles of water.

                      Ed or Edie Gernat should be able to better describe this place.
                      My 77 yr ole memory is getting worse.

                      Fred G Kovalyak