Slovak Churches, Researching and Hunting

  • smudsville@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 9:32 PM
      Was 1920 to 1940 the heyday of slovak churches being cultural/semiquasi governing centerpoints for family? This is the period of time that I am the most interested in. Is there somewhere online or books that lists churches of a town in this period for those searching for people who don't know religious affiliations or town born in, but do have a town listed of living 1950 to 1955?

      Were many slovak town name changes made from 1945 to 1955?

      For those not familiar with why I lurk over slovak world, I am writing the history of the vizsla, golden hunter of hungary.

      While the breed originates from hungary, if there were no romanians in the room ;), count bela hadik maintains the breed was created in slovakia's urals in 965.

      It's a fact that slovak studbooks were the registry to survive WWII with their 5 gen pedigree. The us registries needed 3 gen to register. Only slovakian dogs had true pedigree certainty if such a thing existed then. Austria registry (established in 1945) was used to warehouse registered vizslas to the us and europe.

      Colonel jeno dus had the orszagos studbooks and hid them when he escaped. Fled to the usa, helped start the magyar vizsla club of america. He steadfastly refused to reveal studbook locations to the us and hungary. He died from injuries in a car accident in 1961 in buffalo NY without disclosing their location. He seems to have been quite the picklehead as I have private 50s letters ridiculing him as a drama king. In 1955 he lost an important briefcase in chicago before a club meeting and threatened to file suit against the vizsla club. He is someone I want to track down but no idea (at this time) of his hungarian city he comes from.

      I recently learned from another hungarian that had dus remained in europe, he would have been proscecuted as a war criminal.

      I have several large private collections from the 50s vizsla pioneers and have been using 3 websites to organize them and myself.

      In addition to the time periods already mentioned, I have a keen interest in european hunting, hunting dogs, particularly from 1900 to 1950. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. You can check me out at....

      thevizslaksentinel.com
      vizslavizipedia.com
      vizslavizsmithsonian.com