Re: [Slovak-World] Airline surcharge from Austria

  • Donna Manuel
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10 12:15 PM
      Hello Everyone,
        I received this "travel agent" email earlier today regarding surcharges being
      added on to flights.  Hope it helps and I'll keep looking around at other sites
      as well...

      * Travel Pulse > Travel News > Airlines Cut Capacity, Add Fuel Surcharges as
      Oil Prices Soar
      Share
      Airlines Cut Capacity, Add Fuel Surcharges as Oil Prices Soar
      March 09, 2011 10:19 PM
      Airlines are cutting capacity, reconfiguring their fleets and adding fuel
      surcharges as oil prices soared as high as $130 per barrel. United Continental
      Holdings said that due to the recent increase in fuel prices, the company plans
      to reduce consolidated capacity from its previous 2011 projections by
      approximately 1 percent effective with its May schedule and 4 percent effective
      with its September schedule. With these reductions, fourth-quarter 2011
      consolidated domestic capacity is expected to decrease 5 percent and
      consolidated international capacity is expected to increase 2 percent compared
      to the pro forma capacity for the same period last year. The capacity changes
      will be accomplished through reducing flight frequencies, indefinitely
      postponing the start of flights to certain markets and exiting less profitable
      routes.
      Similarly, American Airlines said that it now plans that its consolidated
      capacity for 2011 will be 1 percent lower than it had previously announced. The
      airline also said it is replacing smaller, less efficient MD80s with more fuel
      efficient B737-800s.
      Frontier also announced it is trimming its operating schedule for the second
      quarter of 2011. The company previously issued guidance of capacity growth in
      the 1.5 percent to 2.5 percent range for the second quarter of 2011. The company
      now expects its capacity to be flat compared to the second quarter of 2010.
      “While our booking volume continues to outperform for the spring months compared
      to last year, and our revenue continues to build very positively in comparison
      to last year, we are being proactive in our second quarter scheduling due to the
      uncertainty of future oil prices,” said Greg Aretakis, vice president of revenue
      production.
      Singapore Airlines said that it will increase its fuel surcharge for tickets
      issued on or after March 17, as a result of the continued escalation in the
      price of jet fuel. The price of jet fuel is now above $130 per barrel, which is
      the highest in two years. For more information, visit www.aa.com,
      www.unitedcontinentalholdings.com, www.frontierair.com and www.singaporeair.com.