Re: [Slovak-World] Airline surcharge from Austria

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
       A recent travel publication noted that all flights going out of Austria will
      have a surcharge - 10 Euro for Europe and 40 euro for flying abroad - that's
      pretty hefty.

      Has anyone heard anything about this?

      helene

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
        Dear Helene,

        I Googled it and found a lot of sites. Below are 2:

        http://www.thetransnational.travel/Austria-flight-departure-tax.2010102702

        http://www.thetransnational.travel/Austria-flight-departure-tax.2010102702

        Apparently Austria is following the hike in tax posed by Germany.

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
          Does the tax apply to SK as well?  Or just Vienna?

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
            I read a Slovak google entry that noted: "Rakusko" [Rrrah-koo-skoh], (Austria).
            No mention made that Slovakia would follow Germany and Austria, in raising the
            tax.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
              Hello Everyone,
                I received this "travel agent" email earlier today regarding surcharges being
              added on to flights.  Hope it helps and I'll keep looking around at other sites
              as well...

              * Travel Pulse > Travel News > Airlines Cut Capacity, Add Fuel Surcharges as
              Oil Prices Soar
              Share
              Airlines Cut Capacity, Add Fuel Surcharges as Oil Prices Soar
              March 09, 2011 10:19 PM
              Airlines are cutting capacity, reconfiguring their fleets and adding fuel
              surcharges as oil prices soared as high as $130 per barrel. United Continental
              Holdings said that due to the recent increase in fuel prices, the company plans
              to reduce consolidated capacity from its previous 2011 projections by
              approximately 1 percent effective with its May schedule and 4 percent effective
              with its September schedule. With these reductions, fourth-quarter 2011
              consolidated domestic capacity is expected to decrease 5 percent and
              consolidated international capacity is expected to increase 2 percent compared
              to the pro forma capacity for the same period last year. The capacity changes
              will be accomplished through reducing flight frequencies, indefinitely
              postponing the start of flights to certain markets and exiting less profitable
              routes.
              Similarly, American Airlines said that it now plans that its consolidated
              capacity for 2011 will be 1 percent lower than it had previously announced. The
              airline also said it is replacing smaller, less efficient MD80s with more fuel
              efficient B737-800s.
              Frontier also announced it is trimming its operating schedule for the second
              quarter of 2011. The company previously issued guidance of capacity growth in
              the 1.5 percent to 2.5 percent range for the second quarter of 2011. The company
              now expects its capacity to be flat compared to the second quarter of 2010.
              “While our booking volume continues to outperform for the spring months compared
              to last year, and our revenue continues to build very positively in comparison
              to last year, we are being proactive in our second quarter scheduling due to the
              uncertainty of future oil prices,” said Greg Aretakis, vice president of revenue
              production.
              Singapore Airlines said that it will increase its fuel surcharge for tickets
              issued on or after March 17, as a result of the continued escalation in the
              price of jet fuel. The price of jet fuel is now above $130 per barrel, which is
              the highest in two years. For more information, visit www.aa.com,
              www.unitedcontinentalholdings.com, www.frontierair.com and www.singaporeair.com.