Prickly member of the eurozone

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2011
      Today's Financial Times calls Slovakia a "prickly member of the eurozone" as it covers its views on handling the financial crisis in Ireland, Greece, and some other countries:

      <http://tinyurl.com/4qa7pdv>

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2011
        'Prickly' people pay their bills & expect others to do the same.  I don't think Slovak public employees get paid for 54 weeks & only work 42 like the Greeks do.

        'Prickly' Chuck.

        ... but then, I am only half Slovak.

        Today's Financial Times calls Slovakia a "prickly member of the eurozone" as it covers its views on handling the financial crisis in Ireland, Greece, and some other countries:

        <http://tinyurl.com/4qa7pdv>

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
           A recent travel publication noted that all flights going out of Austria will
          have a surcharge - 10 Euro for Europe and 40 euro for flying abroad - that's
          pretty hefty.

          Has anyone heard anything about this?

          helene

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
            Dear Helene,

            I Googled it and found a lot of sites. Below are 2:

            http://www.thetransnational.travel/Austria-flight-departure-tax.2010102702

            http://www.thetransnational.travel/Austria-flight-departure-tax.2010102702

            Apparently Austria is following the hike in tax posed by Germany.

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
              Does the tax apply to SK as well?  Or just Vienna?

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2011
                I read a Slovak google entry that noted: "Rakusko" [Rrrah-koo-skoh], (Austria).
                No mention made that Slovakia would follow Germany and Austria, in raising the
                tax.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2011
                  Hello Everyone,
                    I received this "travel agent" email earlier today regarding surcharges being
                  added on to flights.  Hope it helps and I'll keep looking around at other sites
                  as well...

                  * Travel Pulse > Travel News > Airlines Cut Capacity, Add Fuel Surcharges as
                  Oil Prices Soar
                  Share
                  Airlines Cut Capacity, Add Fuel Surcharges as Oil Prices Soar
                  March 09, 2011 10:19 PM
                  Airlines are cutting capacity, reconfiguring their fleets and adding fuel
                  surcharges as oil prices soared as high as $130 per barrel. United Continental
                  Holdings said that due to the recent increase in fuel prices, the company plans
                  to reduce consolidated capacity from its previous 2011 projections by
                  approximately 1 percent effective with its May schedule and 4 percent effective
                  with its September schedule. With these reductions, fourth-quarter 2011
                  consolidated domestic capacity is expected to decrease 5 percent and
                  consolidated international capacity is expected to increase 2 percent compared
                  to the pro forma capacity for the same period last year. The capacity changes
                  will be accomplished through reducing flight frequencies, indefinitely
                  postponing the start of flights to certain markets and exiting less profitable
                  routes.
                  Similarly, American Airlines said that it now plans that its consolidated
                  capacity for 2011 will be 1 percent lower than it had previously announced. The
                  airline also said it is replacing smaller, less efficient MD80s with more fuel
                  efficient B737-800s.
                  Frontier also announced it is trimming its operating schedule for the second
                  quarter of 2011. The company previously issued guidance of capacity growth in
                  the 1.5 percent to 2.5 percent range for the second quarter of 2011. The company
                  now expects its capacity to be flat compared to the second quarter of 2010.
                  “While our booking volume continues to outperform for the spring months compared
                  to last year, and our revenue continues to build very positively in comparison
                  to last year, we are being proactive in our second quarter scheduling due to the
                  uncertainty of future oil prices,” said Greg Aretakis, vice president of revenue
                  production.
                  Singapore Airlines said that it will increase its fuel surcharge for tickets
                  issued on or after March 17, as a result of the continued escalation in the
                  price of jet fuel. The price of jet fuel is now above $130 per barrel, which is
                  the highest in two years. For more information, visit www.aa.com,
                  www.unitedcontinentalholdings.com, www.frontierair.com and www.singaporeair.com.