Re: [Slovak-World] Researching question....

  • Michelle Burke
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
      Caye's post reminded me that my paternal grandmother had an active
      correspondence with her family in Slovakia, but if she saved them (I remember a
      trunk in her bedroom from which she would pull stuff to show us -- I think
      pictures, but I remember some ltters), everything probably got dumped when she
      passed away. ... so sad -- I'm the family historian now and I would have loved
      to have them!

      ________________________________
      From: Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 4:43 PM

      My mother was not sentimental ... she never saved any letters that she got from

      my dad who spent a lot of time overseas with the Navy and as I recall wrote

      rather frequently.  She did save pictures, but my experience is similar to

      Vilo's -- I was the one who bothered to put them into albums (without labels!)

      -- she just dumped them in a box!  Consequently, we have a lot of snapshots of

      people I've never seen standing in front of doors and on porches smiling, and

      I'll never know who they were!

      We're having a family reunion this summer, but we only have two members of the

      Depression-era generation left ... I'm hoping they will recognize some of these

      people!

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
        I guess our family is one of sentimental pack rats. I never throw letters away, and neither did my father and my grandmother. So after she passed, my Dad got her letters from family in Slovakia, and after my father passed away, I received those letter as well as his. I wish I could understand them. They're in Eastern dialect and the older letters were written by relatives with very little education.
        Dennis