Re: Researching question....

  • sue_groh
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      My husband has asked his parents to write down details that they'd like to see in their obituaries (she is 87, he 95). His mom, whose life seems to be an open book, is writing them down. His dad just keeps saying "oh, I've got it all in my head!" - like that's going to help!

      As the old saying goes, "the faintest ink is better than the best memory".

      I've been writing a little history of my family as I remember it. Someone may care in the future.

      Sue

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

      > My mother was not sentimental ... she never saved any letters that she got from
      > my dad who spent a lot of time overseas with the Navy and as I recall wrote
      > rather frequently.  She did save pictures, but my experience is similar to
      > Vilo's -- I was the one who bothered to put them into albums (without labels!)
      > -- she just dumped them in a box!  Consequently, we have a lot of snapshots of
      > people I've never seen standing in front of doors and on porches smiling, and
      > I'll never know who they were!
      >

      > We're having a family reunion this summer, but we only have two members of the
      > Depression-era generation left ... I'm hoping they will recognize some of these
      > people!
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
        I was totally shocked to discover that in my Slovak village -- the cousins saved EVERY SINGLE LETTER and card/photo ever sent from the USA to them -- amazing.  My grandmother only saved photos from Slovakia -- not the letters.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
          Caye's post reminded me that my paternal grandmother had an active
          correspondence with her family in Slovakia, but if she saved them (I remember a
          trunk in her bedroom from which she would pull stuff to show us -- I think
          pictures, but I remember some ltters), everything probably got dumped when she
          passed away. ... so sad -- I'm the family historian now and I would have loved
          to have them!

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
            I guess our family is one of sentimental pack rats. I never throw letters away, and neither did my father and my grandmother. So after she passed, my Dad got her letters from family in Slovakia, and after my father passed away, I received those letter as well as his. I wish I could understand them. They're in Eastern dialect and the older letters were written by relatives with very little education.
            Dennis