Histories of our Slovak Communities in the USA..

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      In a recent response to a message form Claudia, I wrote:

      " I thought this was FUN. Gramp came home from work and after supper, worked
      in the garden until sundown. Then he sat with me on the porch steps and told
      me "stories about his life at home and since he immigrated

      These "Stories", included info about local Slovak people as well as family.

      Of course, he ofteb repeated some of the tales and I would be thinking, "gosh
      I wish he would stop repeating.....". Now I thank God he did because this
      information is now, (at 75 years old), ingrained in my mind."

      Further to my comment:

      My only regret is that I am not smart enough to be able to organize the
      "Stories", into book form because other than my occasional articles, own, there
      is no written History of Slovaks in my area.

      I live in Johnstown, NY and we have "Twin City", Gloversville. Just to the
      west there was a large Slovak Lutheran population, in Little Falls and
      Herkimer. North of here near Saratoga, is Greenfield Center a small village
      with a sizable Slovak population. 30 miles to the East is Schenectady, with a
      very large population. Lutherans built their own Slovak Lutheran Church and
      Catholics in Johnstown and Schenectady, built our own.

      Sadly, our Catholic Churches are now closed and the Lutheran is no longer
      Slovak.

      We all need to write as much information as possible and at the very least give
      it to the local Historical societies.

      I areas where there were sizeable, population groups from certain towns and
      areas might consider providing historical information to information centers
      near those places.

      for instance, I will be providing info to the Zahorie Muzeum in Skalica.

      For those of you who are able to read Slovak, try to find if your ancestral
      towns have published Histories in Book form. I have 4: Kuty, Gbely, C~ervenik
      and Leopoldov.

      Also, Queations concerning your towns can be asked here because some of us have
      the three volume Atlas of Slovak towns, "Vlastvedny Slovnik Obci na Slovenskou".

      Additionally, if you "Google your town, you might find an entry on the
      Internet. These are translatable using

      "Google Translate" and, (I believe), "Bing Translate", (which I have never
      used).

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________

      I do not find this unusual. I do not save letters either. My grandparents
      also did not save letters.

      This is similar to you have albums full of fotos with out labels concerning date

      and people in the pictures.

      I was recently speaking with a friend in her 80's and she lamented never having
      asked her parents for their "old country" history.

      I am one of the fortunate people. I spent summers on my grandparents farm.
      They had one cow, 3 pigs, many rabbits, chickens, ducks, hounds, etc....I worked

      all day mowing the lawns, feeding and watering animals, killing and cleaning
      chickens and weeding the garden.

      I thought this was FUN. Gramp came home from work and after supper, worked in
      the garden until sundown. Then he sat with me on the porch steps and told me
      "stories about his life at home and since he immigrated

      These "Stories", included info about local Slovak people as well as family.

      Of course, he ofteb repeated some of the tales and I would be thinking, "gosh I
      wish he would stop repeating.....". Now I thank God he did because this
      information is now, (at 75 years old), ingrained in my mind.

      I hope that all of our S-W friends are passing don this type of information,
      since there is little info, because like your parents, we don't save everything.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
        My Dad must have been unique in that his main hobby in his 80's was writing the
        story of his life, as did his younger brother. My mom's side all i have are stories
        getting dimmer in my head every year. Guess its to me to write them down...

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
        From: mcmburke@...
        Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:43:28 -0800
        Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Researching question....

        My mother was not sentimental ... she never saved any letters that she got from
        my dad who spent a lot of time overseas with the Navy and as I recall wrote
        rather frequently. She did save pictures, but my experience is similar to
        Vilo's -- I was the one who bothered to put them into albums (without labels!)
        -- she just dumped them in a box! Consequently, we have a lot of snapshots of
        people I've never seen standing in front of doors and on porches smiling, and
        I'll never know who they were!

        We're having a family reunion this summer, but we only have two members of the
        Depression-era generation left ... I'm hoping they will recognize some of these
        people!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
          My husband has asked his parents to write down details that they'd like to see in their obituaries (she is 87, he 95). His mom, whose life seems to be an open book, is writing them down. His dad just keeps saying "oh, I've got it all in my head!" - like that's going to help!

          As the old saying goes, "the faintest ink is better than the best memory".

          I've been writing a little history of my family as I remember it. Someone may care in the future.

          Sue

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

          > My mother was not sentimental ... she never saved any letters that she got from
          > my dad who spent a lot of time overseas with the Navy and as I recall wrote
          > rather frequently.  She did save pictures, but my experience is similar to
          > Vilo's -- I was the one who bothered to put them into albums (without labels!)
          > -- she just dumped them in a box!  Consequently, we have a lot of snapshots of
          > people I've never seen standing in front of doors and on porches smiling, and
          > I'll never know who they were!
          >

          > We're having a family reunion this summer, but we only have two members of the
          > Depression-era generation left ... I'm hoping they will recognize some of these
          > people!
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
            I was totally shocked to discover that in my Slovak village -- the cousins saved EVERY SINGLE LETTER and card/photo ever sent from the USA to them -- amazing.  My grandmother only saved photos from Slovakia -- not the letters.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
              Caye's post reminded me that my paternal grandmother had an active
              correspondence with her family in Slovakia, but if she saved them (I remember a
              trunk in her bedroom from which she would pull stuff to show us -- I think
              pictures, but I remember some ltters), everything probably got dumped when she
              passed away. ... so sad -- I'm the family historian now and I would have loved
              to have them!

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
                I guess our family is one of sentimental pack rats. I never throw letters away, and neither did my father and my grandmother. So after she passed, my Dad got her letters from family in Slovakia, and after my father passed away, I received those letter as well as his. I wish I could understand them. They're in Eastern dialect and the older letters were written by relatives with very little education.
                Dennis