Researching question....

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      Have others found that there are very, very few letters our parents and grandparents saved? I would have thought with the lack of phones and in the 30's and 40' long conversations woul have to be communicated by letter... ? Other than cards and photos, there are no letters, much less diaries...

      Just wondering

      Claudia

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
        Claudia,

        I do not find this unusual. I do not save letters either. My grandparents
        also did not save letters.

        This is similar to you have albums full of fotos with out labels concerning date
        and people in the pictures.

        I was recently speaking with a friend in her 80's and she lamented never having
        asked her parents for their "old country" history.

        I am one of the fortunate people. I spent summers on my grandparents farm.
        They had one cow, 3 pigs, many rabbits, chickens, ducks, hounds, etc....I worked
        all day mowing the lawns, feeding and watering animals, killing and cleaning
        chickens and weeding the garden.

        I thought this was FUN. Gramp came home from work and after supper, worked in
        the garden until sundown. Then he sat with me on the porch steps and told me
        "stories about his life at home and since he immigrated

        These "Stories", included info about local Slovak people as well as family.

        Of course, he ofteb repeated some of the tales and I would be thinking, "gosh I
        wish he would stop repeating.....". Now I thank God he did because this
        information is now, (at 75 years old), ingrained in my mind.

        I hope that all of our S-W friends are passing don this type of information,
        since there is little info, because like your parents, we don't save everything.

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
          My mother was not sentimental ... she never saved any letters that she got from
          my dad who spent a lot of time overseas with the Navy and as I recall wrote
          rather frequently.  She did save pictures, but my experience is similar to
          Vilo's -- I was the one who bothered to put them into albums (without labels!)
          -- she just dumped them in a box!  Consequently, we have a lot of snapshots of
          people I've never seen standing in front of doors and on porches smiling, and
          I'll never know who they were!

          We're having a family reunion this summer, but we only have two members of the
          Depression-era generation left ... I'm hoping they will recognize some of these
          people!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
            In a recent response to a message form Claudia, I wrote:

            " I thought this was FUN. Gramp came home from work and after supper, worked
            in the garden until sundown. Then he sat with me on the porch steps and told
            me "stories about his life at home and since he immigrated

            These "Stories", included info about local Slovak people as well as family.

            Of course, he ofteb repeated some of the tales and I would be thinking, "gosh
            I wish he would stop repeating.....". Now I thank God he did because this
            information is now, (at 75 years old), ingrained in my mind."

            Further to my comment:

            My only regret is that I am not smart enough to be able to organize the
            "Stories", into book form because other than my occasional articles, own, there
            is no written History of Slovaks in my area.

            I live in Johnstown, NY and we have "Twin City", Gloversville. Just to the
            west there was a large Slovak Lutheran population, in Little Falls and
            Herkimer. North of here near Saratoga, is Greenfield Center a small village
            with a sizable Slovak population. 30 miles to the East is Schenectady, with a
            very large population. Lutherans built their own Slovak Lutheran Church and
            Catholics in Johnstown and Schenectady, built our own.

            Sadly, our Catholic Churches are now closed and the Lutheran is no longer
            Slovak.

            We all need to write as much information as possible and at the very least give
            it to the local Historical societies.

            I areas where there were sizeable, population groups from certain towns and
            areas might consider providing historical information to information centers
            near those places.

            for instance, I will be providing info to the Zahorie Muzeum in Skalica.

            For those of you who are able to read Slovak, try to find if your ancestral
            towns have published Histories in Book form. I have 4: Kuty, Gbely, C~ervenik
            and Leopoldov.

            Also, Queations concerning your towns can be asked here because some of us have
            the three volume Atlas of Slovak towns, "Vlastvedny Slovnik Obci na Slovenskou".

            Additionally, if you "Google your town, you might find an entry on the
            Internet. These are translatable using

            "Google Translate" and, (I believe), "Bing Translate", (which I have never
            used).

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
              My Dad must have been unique in that his main hobby in his 80's was writing the
              story of his life, as did his younger brother. My mom's side all i have are stories
              getting dimmer in my head every year. Guess its to me to write them down...

              To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
                My husband has asked his parents to write down details that they'd like to see in their obituaries (she is 87, he 95). His mom, whose life seems to be an open book, is writing them down. His dad just keeps saying "oh, I've got it all in my head!" - like that's going to help!

                As the old saying goes, "the faintest ink is better than the best memory".

                I've been writing a little history of my family as I remember it. Someone may care in the future.

                Sue

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

                > My mother was not sentimental ... she never saved any letters that she got from
                > my dad who spent a lot of time overseas with the Navy and as I recall wrote
                > rather frequently.  She did save pictures, but my experience is similar to
                > Vilo's -- I was the one who bothered to put them into albums (without labels!)
                > -- she just dumped them in a box!  Consequently, we have a lot of snapshots of
                > people I've never seen standing in front of doors and on porches smiling, and
                > I'll never know who they were!
                >

                > We're having a family reunion this summer, but we only have two members of the
                > Depression-era generation left ... I'm hoping they will recognize some of these
                > people!
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
                  I was totally shocked to discover that in my Slovak village -- the cousins saved EVERY SINGLE LETTER and card/photo ever sent from the USA to them -- amazing.  My grandmother only saved photos from Slovakia -- not the letters.

                  Caye

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
                    Caye's post reminded me that my paternal grandmother had an active
                    correspondence with her family in Slovakia, but if she saved them (I remember a
                    trunk in her bedroom from which she would pull stuff to show us -- I think
                    pictures, but I remember some ltters), everything probably got dumped when she
                    passed away. ... so sad -- I'm the family historian now and I would have loved
                    to have them!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
                      I guess our family is one of sentimental pack rats. I never throw letters away, and neither did my father and my grandmother. So after she passed, my Dad got her letters from family in Slovakia, and after my father passed away, I received those letter as well as his. I wish I could understand them. They're in Eastern dialect and the older letters were written by relatives with very little education.
                      Dennis