Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Dialects

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 6, 2011
      Or: Budzes mne folovac a na totym lajtu pujdzes left.

      A lady Slovak from USA was visiting Slovakia with
      hew English only speaking husband and she went to
      buy a ticket at the train station and asked:

      Dva tikety na trejna.

      The Slovak guy didn't understand. So she said to
      her husband how sad it is that these Slovaks
      don't speak Slovak and nobody understand's her.

      Vladi

      At 01:32 PM 2/6/2011, you wrote:

      >My parents spent their young adult lives in Bratislava before they came to
      >Canada. So they were used to conversing in the Bratislavian dialect. When I
      >started touring Slovakia I was surprised to find
      >so many different dialects in
      >Slovakia. Not only are words pronounced differently, sometimes you will find
      >words have a different meaning or slang meaning.
      >Some times it feels like what I
      >know is never enough.
      >
      >Sometimes when in Slovakia I will forget the Slovak word and throw in the
      >English word by mistake. I am still known among
      >my Slovak family as the Canadian
      >man that liked to drink raj! Actually the story changes everytime I hear it.

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 6, 2011