Re: [Slovak-World] Folk trade--24

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2011
      Some years ago I visited Slovakia in the winter time,  staying for 16 days.  The second day I ame down with the with the flue, (chripku).  I was very sick and my family had someone sit next to me 24 hours a day.
      One of them was her brother in law.  As he sat there, he began weaving small baskets as for eggs and fruit, some with handles.  I was amazed at his speed and dexterity.  When I left he gave some for me to take home to my Mom and Aunts.
      Later in my life an old friend here wove the traditional Easter Monday "Korbac~".   His design was very intricate and he also worked very fast.

      Weaving Baskets and other items was a normal village task, now, (sadly), nearly lost in my town.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo