Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Learning Slovak

  • Mary Elliott
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 16, 2011
      I agree, this would help so much!
      Thank you.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: bjgolias1@...<mailto:bjgolias1@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:50 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Learning Slovak

      That sounds like a great idea Dennis!

      In a message dated 1/15/2011 10:56:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dragansk@...<mailto:dragansk@...> writes:

      I meant to mention earlier that there are also learning materials developed
      by Tomas Dratva for the Peace Corps in the 90s. I suppose that because
      these were developed with tax dollars, they became available free for
      downloading at _http://bohemica.com/slovak_<http://bohemica.com/slovak_> (http://bohemica.com/slovak<http://bohemica.com/slovak>)

      There are four items -- all in PDF format, which can be printed and used
      easily. They can only be used for non-profit use. I printed them all and
      keep them in a large binder. They include: 1) Basic Slovak section, 2) Slovak
      Textbook, 3) Slovak Grammar, and 4) Slovak Workbook (exercises). I make
      them available to students in my basic Slovak classes, although we've actually
      only used a few pages from the Basic Slovak section.

      The last time I checked, the downloads were not on the Bohemica web site
      any more, although the site indicates they are. In any case, I have the
      files and can place them in this group's "Files" section if there's interest.
      In all, the size of the four files is 3.45 MB. One idea is for interested
      group members to download the Basic Slovak section first, then use the other
      sections if interested.

      Dennis

      --- In _Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:_Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>_ (mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>)
      , "cvargacvarga" <colinpeire@...> wrote:

      > I also downloaded the free part of the Byki course and started it and
      quickly deleted it. I noticed a few iffy things but then they had the word
      "taxikar" translated to "driver" (I think) it just wasn't the correct
      translation which made me skeptical about other translations so I didn't bother
      with paying for the course.

      (mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>) , "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:

      > > What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but
      chose the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the
      full program is like.