Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Folk Migrations in the USA

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2011
      Many of our People immigrated to one Particular place and then moved on to different places. My Grandfather went first to Wilkes Barre PA, WALKED to NY City, met a man. who knew there was work in Johnstown, NY and walked here together.
      Many went to Piermont and from here to to Johnstown, and Schenectady, NY.
      Grandpa told me that around 700 families immigrated first here, then on to PA, WV, OH, etc.
      Slovaks here, Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott and Little Falls NY worked in the leather industry.  The Litle Falls NY Slovaks were nearly 100% Lutherans, from the Mijava Area and ours from Zahorie.
      I am awaiting information concerning immigration to the Greenfield Center, NY area,, (near Saratoga Springs).
      My home town was the last bastion of Slovak cultural activity in this (upstate) area and it appears that the closing of our Slovak Catholic church, this has sadly ended.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo