Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Autorské právo

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
      But stastny also means happy (Som stastny, I am happy).
      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

      Hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
         A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -

        does anyone one have suggestions?

        thanks
        helene

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
          Tell her to take course this summer in Slovakia.

          Vladi

          Why doesn't she post herself here??

          At 04:52 PM 1/9/2011, you wrote:

          > A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
          >
          >does anyone one have suggestions?
          >
          >thanks
          >helene

        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
            Don't send anything, they can buy everything
            there and they can download anything there as
            well. He can get a membership in RAPID SHARE or
            can go to torrents like VUUUZE and have it all like many.

            Vladi

            At 04:43 PM 1/9/2011, you wrote:

            >But stastny also means happy (Som stastny, I am happy).
            >-- Lubos Brieda --
            >Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
            >
            >Hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com
            >
            >________________________________

          • James Dubelko
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
              I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:

              http://www.byki.com/

              I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.

              Jim Dubelko

              On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>wrote:

              > A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
              >
              > does anyone one have suggestions?
              >
              > thanks
              > helene

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
                How well does she wish to learn Slovak?
                How far does she wish to take it, to proficiency in academics, household use for a single/multiple visits, or just survival in tourism?

                I took the U of Pitt 10 week course last summer, 6 weeks in Pittsburgh plus 4 weeks in Bratislava, and cannot praise it enough. It is good enough to take anyone as far as they can go. We had one super student and one old timer who proved the two extremes of what can be gained. The professors and lessons are top notch.

                I have collected several CD's and programs (including the CD's from the textbooks we studied from last summer) to listen to as I tour the US and try to expand my vocabulary and mastery of the language. The CD's are great for listening practice but none pretend to cover lessons or the grammar. They would be handy for building vocabulary or basic familiarity.

                For proper lessons I would be interested in hearing of experiences with Rosetta Stone.

                What I have to listen to are the four CD's from the A1 and A2 class books "Krizom Krazom", which are the best I have encountered. (and these are used at Pitt Summer Language Institute along with the exercise book), but the books are not, in my opinion, for self study. Other opinions are at
                http://www.opakovanie.sk/index.php?topic=98.0

                For casual (and cheap) vocabulary and phrases check out
                http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENSK/ENSK002.HTM
                and order their $10 book through Amazon. It is imperfect but better than most casual students will ever become.

                I also bought the CD's for "Slovak for You" "Exercise Book for Beginners" with 2 CD's. It cost under Euro 10 at Panta Rhei in Slovakia and gives me a different set of voices and exercises to work with.

                To top it off I transferred the tapes from Buc's old "Slovak Language Laboratory" to CD, but have to rate them as ... terrible compared to the modern presentations. Slow, monotone, syllable by syllable. Very limited compared to the new works to be had.

                Taking the Summer Language Institute course is the best solution, it gives a great background in grammar and broad exposure to the language as used today. The books are bulky and heavy for travel, so for my drive around the USA I am carrying "Basic Slovak" by Mistrik. Then in the springtime I hope to return, having retained some ability to speak simply.

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                >  A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
                >
                > does anyone one have suggestions?
                >
                > thanks
                > helene
              • Ron
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
                  What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but chose the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the full program is like.

                  Can you give us a detailed review & description?

                  Rn

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, James Dubelko <jdubelko@...> wrote:

                  > I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:
                  >
                  > http://www.byki.com/
                  >
                  > I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.
                  >
                  > Jim Dubelko
                  >
                  > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
                  > >
                  > > does anyone one have suggestions?
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > > helene

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
                    Thanks to all - will pass on the suggestions -  was reading Lubos' latest
                    www.Slovakcooking.com and noticed he had 4 language lessons posted - seems like
                    a neat and simple way to begin and then my new friend can escalate with all your
                    good ideas. We met on-line thru the Slovak Pride surname/villages list.

                    Added 1,000 new surnames and villages to Slovak Pride during the 2010 year - now
                    getting close to 30,000 listings. Get queries on it every day.

                    helene

                    ________________________________
                    How far does she wish to take it, to proficiency in academics, household use for
                    a single/multiple visits, or just survival in tourism?

                    I took the U of Pitt 10 week course last summer, 6 weeks in Pittsburgh plus 4
                    weeks in Bratislava, and cannot praise it enough. It is good enough to take
                    anyone as far as they can go. We had one super student and one old timer who
                    proved the two extremes of what can be gained. The professors and lessons are
                    top notch.

                    I have collected several CD's and programs (including the CD's from the
                    textbooks we studied from last summer) to listen to as I tour the US and try to
                    expand my vocabulary and mastery of the language. The CD's are great for
                    listening practice but none pretend to cover lessons or the grammar. They would
                    be handy for building vocabulary or basic familiarity.

                    For proper lessons I would be interested in hearing of experiences with Rosetta
                    Stone.

                    What I have to listen to are the four CD's from the A1 and A2 class books
                    "Krizom Krazom", which are the best I have encountered. (and these are used at
                    Pitt Summer Language Institute along with the exercise book), but the books are
                    not, in my opinion, for self study. Other opinions are at
                    http://www.opakovanie.sk/index.php?topic=98.0

                    For casual (and cheap) vocabulary and phrases check out
                    http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENSK/ENSK002.HTM
                    and order their $10 book through Amazon. It is imperfect but better than most
                    casual students will ever become.

                    I also bought the CD's for "Slovak for You" "Exercise Book for Beginners" with 2
                    CD's. It cost under Euro 10 at Panta Rhei in Slovakia and gives me a different
                    set of voices and exercises to work with.

                    To top it off I transferred the tapes from Buc's old "Slovak Language
                    Laboratory" to CD, but have to rate them as ... terrible compared to the modern
                    presentations. Slow, monotone, syllable by syllable. Very limited compared to
                    the new works to be had.

                    Taking the Summer Language Institute course is the best solution, it gives a
                    great background in grammar and broad exposure to the language as used today.
                    The books are bulky and heavy for travel, so for my drive around the USA I am
                    carrying "Basic Slovak" by Mistrik. Then in the springtime I hope to return,
                    having retained some ability to speak simply.

                    Ron

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                    >  A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
                    >
                    > does anyone one have suggestions?
                    >
                    > thanks
                    > helene

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 9, 2011
                      Huuuraaaa! Lubos wins again!

                      I hope everyone here appreciates the work that this young man has done especially in preserving our Slovak culture.

                      Lubos is versatile, clever and accurate in what he accomplishes.  He is also not afraid to learn  always displaying his humility.

                      Thanks to Helene, we were able to meet him both at the Slovak Embassy in Washington DC and at the Pitt Celebration.

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      How far does she wish to take it, to proficiency in academics, household use for

                      a single/multiple visits, or just survival in tourism?

                      I took the U of Pitt 10 week course last summer, 6 weeks in Pittsburgh plus 4

                      weeks in Bratislava, and cannot praise it enough. It is good enough to take

                      anyone as far as they can go. We had one super student and one old timer who

                      proved the two extremes of what can be gained. The professors and lessons are

                      top notch.

                      I have collected several CD's and programs (including the CD's from the

                      textbooks we studied from last summer) to listen to as I tour the US and try to

                      expand my vocabulary and mastery of the language. The CD's are great for

                      listening practice but none pretend to cover lessons or the grammar. They would

                      be handy for building vocabulary or basic familiarity.

                      For proper lessons I would be interested in hearing of experiences with Rosetta

                      Stone.

                      What I have to listen to are the four CD's from the A1 and A2 class books

                      "Krizom Krazom", which are the best I have encountered. (and these are used at

                      Pitt Summer Language Institute along with the exercise book), but the books are

                      not, in my opinion, for self study. Other opinions are at

                      http://www.opakovanie.sk/index.php?topic=98.0

                      For casual (and cheap) vocabulary and phrases check out

                      http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENSK/ENSK002.HTM

                      and order their $10 book through Amazon. It is imperfect but better than most

                      casual students will ever become.

                      I also bought the CD's for "Slovak for You" "Exercise Book for Beginners" with 2

                      CD's. It cost under Euro 10 at Panta Rhei in Slovakia and gives me a different

                      set of voices and exercises to work with.

                      To top it off I transferred the tapes from Buc's old "Slovak Language

                      Laboratory" to CD, but have to rate them as ... terrible compared to the modern

                      presentations. Slow, monotone, syllable by syllable. Very limited compared to

                      the new works to be had.

                      Taking the Summer Language Institute course is the best solution, it gives a

                      great background in grammar and broad exposure to the language as used today.

                      The books are bulky and heavy for travel, so for my drive around the USA I am

                      carrying "Basic Slovak" by Mistrik. Then in the springtime I hope to return,

                      having retained some ability to speak simply.

                      Ron

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                      >  A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -

                      > does anyone one have suggestions?

                      > thanks

                      > helene

                    • James Dubelko
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 10, 2011
                        Rn,

                        I think it's a good program. Pretty intense. Lots of words and useful
                        phrases. Compels you to think of and the spell the words and phrases in
                        both languages. Good audio quality, and you can repeat words and phrases
                        and have them pronounced more slowly. Competitive format. The price is
                        good.

                        I think that if I would have stuck with it a little more, it would have been
                        very helpful. (Story of my life trying to learn Slovak.)

                        Jim

                        On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Ron <amiak27@...> wrote:

                        > What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but
                        > chose the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the full
                        > program is like.
                        >
                        > Can you give us a detailed review & description?
                        >
                        > Rn
                        >

                        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > James Dubelko <jdubelko@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.byki.com/
                        > >
                        > > I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.
                        > >
                        > > Jim Dubelko
                        > >
                        > > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > > A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
                        > > >
                        > > > does anyone one have suggestions?
                        > > >
                        > > > thanks
                        > > > helene

                      • Lubos Brieda
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 10, 2011
                          Thanks guys! I have not updated those sections in a while because I did not
                          have the time. What I wold eventually (in a year) like to do is a put together
                          set of lessons following some traveler as he/she travels around the country and
                          picks up the language and culture tips along the way. Anybody know of a
                          sponsoring organization that would be interested in paying me to go to Slovakia
                          for a month or so and put together a book like that?

                        • cvargacvarga
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 11, 2011
                            I also downloaded the free part of the Byki course and started it and quickly deleted it. I noticed a few iffy things but then they had the word "taxikar" translated to "driver" (I think) it just wasn't the correct translation which made me skeptical about other translations so I didn't bother with paying for the course.

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                            > What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but chose the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the full program is like.
                            >
                            > Can you give us a detailed review & description?
                            >
                            > Rn
                            >
                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, James Dubelko <jdubelko@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:
                            > >
                            > > http://www.byki.com/
                            > >
                            > > I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.
                            > >
                            > > Jim Dubelko
                            > >
                            > > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@>wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
                            > > >
                            > > > does anyone one have suggestions?
                            > > >
                            > > > thanks
                            > > > helene

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 11, 2011
                              Tonya Harmon has a super site
                              http://paulinescookbook.com

                              Some recipes but many more fascinating stories - the last few have been about
                              the Slovak immigrant experience with arresting pictures -

                              "Attila's Successors" tells about the Slovaks working in the factories and the
                              mines, the discrimination they faced, called "Hunkies" as my mother remembers

                              "The women who sang" - was an amazing story about the Slovak women and the
                              miner's strikes - i had never heard about this before.

                              "Greenies" told about the immigrant experience

                              all have images taken at that time and are very moving.

                              Tonya's has roots in Orava and part of her family lives in Pivnice, Serbia, a
                              Slovak village. The blog honors her beloved Aunt Pauline who taught her so much!
                              The story of her life is in one story and it is a very moving one.

                              Going on Tonya's  site you can access all her past stories even better sign up
                              to get new ones delivered to your e mail or Facebook.

                              helene

                            • genmom4
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 12, 2011
                                After trying the free program, I purchased the language CD from Byki.
                                What I liked about this was that I could actually make up lists of what I wanted to learn, since I was attempting to learn enough Slovak, in a short time, to help me out while on a trip to Slovakia.
                                So, the word lists that I found the most important to travel could be tweaked so that I could concentrate on learning what I felt would be the most helpful.
                                I was amazed by how many words actually stuck in my head. But that was certainly for short term learning.
                                I must admit, though, that some of the word groupings were incorrect. I learned "glass of beer" but the translation for "glass of wine" was actually bottle of wine. That's when I realized that one is under the mercy of the program, assuming that the words are correct.
                                And, if they are not correct, that could result in some real confusion.
                                Even the pocket dictionary that I used had incorrect translations, as I attempted to order chicken using the word in the dictionary and the waiter was extremely confused. When I showed the word to a young Slovak woman who spoke English thoroughly, she laughed, saying that the word actually meant hen, and one would never order a hen for dinner.

                                Ron's suggestion of taking the course certainly sounds tempting, and most people would love to spend the summer in Slovakia and Bratislava in order to learn the language. But family commitments, jobs and $$ prevent most from participating in such an experience, so learning at home is the only feasible option.

                                So, although the program is far from perfect, I found it Byki useful in learning basics.
                                Also, I am one to give Lubos accolades as well, as I used his site to learn some of the language as well.

                                I also purchased EuroTalk "Talk Now" beginner's Slovak. It's supposed to be ipod ready, but didn't find that it transferred to an Ipod in a fashion that was actually useful to me.
                                But, it was relatively inexpensive. But it had very limited sentence structure.

                                Barbara

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                                > What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but chose the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the full program is like.
                                >
                                > Can you give us a detailed review & description?
                                >
                                > Rn
                                >
                                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, James Dubelko <jdubelko@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:
                                > >
                                > > http://www.byki.com/
                                > >
                                > > I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.
                                > >
                                > > Jim Dubelko
                                > >
                                > > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@>wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > A friend asked me to recommend a software program to learn Slovak -
                                > > >
                                > > > does anyone one have suggestions?
                                > > >
                                > > > thanks
                                > > > helene

                              • dragansk
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 15, 2011
                                  I meant to mention earlier that there are also learning materials developed by Tomas Dratva for the Peace Corps in the 90s. I suppose that because these were developed with tax dollars, they became available free for downloading at http://bohemica.com/slovak

                                  There are four items -- all in PDF format, which can be printed and used easily. They can only be used for non-profit use. I printed them all and keep them in a large binder. They include: 1) Basic Slovak section, 2) Slovak Textbook, 3) Slovak Grammar, and 4) Slovak Workbook (exercises). I make them available to students in my basic Slovak classes, although we've actually only used a few pages from the Basic Slovak section.

                                  The last time I checked, the downloads were not on the Bohemica web site any more, although the site indicates they are. In any case, I have the files and can place them in this group's "Files" section if there's interest. In all, the size of the four files is 3.45 MB. One idea is for interested group members to download the Basic Slovak section first, then use the other sections if interested.

                                  Dennis

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "cvargacvarga" <colinpeire@...> wrote:

                                  > I also downloaded the free part of the Byki course and started it and quickly deleted it. I noticed a few iffy things but then they had the word "taxikar" translated to "driver" (I think) it just wasn't the correct translation which made me skeptical about other translations so I didn't bother with paying for the course.
                                  >
                                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but chose the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the full program is like.
                                  > >
                                  > > Can you give us a detailed review & description?
                                  > >
                                  > > Rn
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, James Dubelko <jdubelko@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://www.byki.com/
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Jim Dubelko

                                • Lubos Brieda
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 17, 2011
                                    HI Dennis, I would be interested in seeing these. I just checked the Files
                                    section but it appears to be empty...

                                  • smontko
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 17, 2011
                                      Lubos et all

                                      In the file section
                                      Slovak Language
                                      4 PDF files

                                      Sam

                                      --- In mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com, "cvargacvarga" <colinpeire@...> wrote:

                                      > I also downloaded the free part of the Byki course and started it and quickly
                                      >deleted it. I noticed a few iffy things but then they had the word "taxikar"
                                      >translated to "driver" (I think) it just wasn't the correct translation which
                                      >made me skeptical about other translations so I didn't bother with paying for
                                      >the course.
                                      >
                                      > --- In mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > What was your experience with Byki? I checked out their free trail but chose
                                      >the Pitt course & dropped consideration. I am wondering what the full program
                                      >is like.
                                      > >
                                      > > Can you give us a detailed review & description?
                                      > >
                                      > > Rn
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com, James Dubelko <jdubelko@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I've tried a few. This one is the best I've found:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > http://www.byki.com/
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'll defer, though, to those who have mastered the language. I haven't.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Jim Dubelko

                                    • Lubos Brieda
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 18, 2011
                                        I see it now, I think I was looking under "dcslovaks".