Re: [Slovak-World] Sauerkraut on New Year's Day

  • hwedhlor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi Vladimir,

      Thank you so much for sharing the photos and your mother's
      hand-written recipe for Christmas Sauerkraut Soup.

      I grew up in a household where pork and sauerkraut were
      enjoyed, but usually as pork chops and mashed potatoes, and
      it had nothing to do with Slovak traditions or culture, as
      the family cultures were German and Cornish. I was adopted
      at the age of three months, and knew nothing of my
      biological heritage on my father's side, and little of my
      mother's side. I happily enjoyed the culture of my adoptive
      family, and the love of my parents.

      In 2006 I was blessed to locate my birth mother after
      considerable research, and a separation of 63 years. We have
      been close ever since, and one of the blessings I received
      from her is the name of my birth father, which was Michael
      Alois Severnak. I've been a genealogist for several decades,
      and was able to trace my Grandfather's place of birth to
      Nizny Hrusov, in the Presov Region of Slovakia. In the
      process of these discoveries I have met a sister, and two
      brothers I never knew I had, as well as the widow of yet a
      third brother who passed away in 1993.

      Research continues, and I am catching up, but still very
      ignorant of the Slovak culture. Would it be possible for you
      to publish your mother's recipe for Christmas Sauerkraut
      Soup, in English?

      Thanks for opening yet another door to my Slovak heritage.

      All the best,

      John Zimmerman
      Mesa, AZ

      On 12/31/2010 7:22 PM, Vladimir Linder wrote:

      > http://lindervideo.com/Kapustnica/1.htm
      >
      > Vladi

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
        Thank you for sharing your very touching story. The published recipe is the translation of my mother's recipe in the book.

        Vladi