Re: [Slovak-World] The Eastern European Blessing of Homes for the New Year

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2011
      On 1/4/2011 8:14 AM, Greg wrote:

      > Are you planning to get your home blessed this coming week.
      >
      > http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/40874.htm
      >
      > Anyone have a home blessing tradition they would like to share?
      >
      > Greg

      When I was in college, the monks blessed the various classrooms using 19
      C + M + B 50 in chalk over the doors of the classrooms. This stood
      for the century, Caspar and Melchior and Balthazar, and the year. This
      year the blessing would be 20, C + M +B, 11. We students irreverently
      said that this stood for 20 Cases of Monastery Beer, $11.

      When our Slovak church was in existence, the pastor would visit the
      families and bless each house. Since we no longer have a Slovak
      church, chalk is blessed and given to the family with the blessing to be
      said by the family.

      Bill Brna