The Eastern European Blessing of Homes for the New Year

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2011
      Are you planning to get your home blessed this coming week.

      http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/40874.htm

      Anyone have a home blessing tradition they would like to share?

      Greg
    • William
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2011
        On 1/4/2011 8:14 AM, Greg wrote:

        > Are you planning to get your home blessed this coming week.
        >
        > http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/40874.htm
        >
        > Anyone have a home blessing tradition they would like to share?
        >
        > Greg

        When I was in college, the monks blessed the various classrooms using 19
        C + M + B 50 in chalk over the doors of the classrooms. This stood
        for the century, Caspar and Melchior and Balthazar, and the year. This
        year the blessing would be 20, C + M +B, 11. We students irreverently
        said that this stood for 20 Cases of Monastery Beer, $11.

        When our Slovak church was in existence, the pastor would visit the
        families and bless each house. Since we no longer have a Slovak
        church, chalk is blessed and given to the family with the blessing to be
        said by the family.

        Bill Brna